Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 9:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Justin Wilson
RIP Justin Wilson
Racing lost another good man today. British open wheel driver Justin Wilson died of injuries received when he was hit in the head by debris from another car during the IRL race at Pocono yesterday.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: RIP Justin Wilson
That was so sad and shocking.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'm trying to look up the rules over the years for bodywork and chassis and such. I remember Dan Wheldon's death a few years ago ushered in a brand new car. I suspect there have been a few mods since. Maybe a bit of a backtrack somewhere in the process? Shame.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Very sad. Reminder of no matter how technology advances safety, it is still an extremely dangerous sport.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(August 25, 2015 at 12:15 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Very sad. Reminder of no matter how technology advances safety, it is still an extremely stupid sport.
Fixed.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Haters gonna hate.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(August 24, 2015 at 11:27 pm)c172 Wrote: I'm trying to look up the rules over the years for bodywork and chassis and such. I remember Dan Wheldon's death a few years ago ushered in a brand new car. I suspect there have been a few mods since. Maybe a bit of a backtrack somewhere in the process? Shame.

Wheldon's car got into the catch fence top first, and his head hit a pole. Wilson got hit in the head with debris from another car. About the only thing they could do in either case in enclose the cockpit, and that comes with its own set of problems. You are correct though in that it usually takes a death to motivate them to make any major safety related changes. I doubt we'll see closed cockpits in Indy cars any time soon though.
I'm on a couple of motorsports message boards (I'm a big rally fan, as well as IMSA Sports Cars, and also watch some NASCAR and IndyCar), and the closed cockpit thing is a big debate on them now. Designs I've seen are just plain ugly. Maybe it's just that IndyCar and F1 have never before had closed cockpits. Maybe if some other governing body ran them, I'd be OK with it, and it wouldn't look like a messed up IndyCar concept (similarly, in Sports Cars, I hate that Delta Wing, but it would have been fine as a concept car at an auto show).
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I normally don't pay much attention to motorsports but this was at Pocono, which is quite close to where I live; a bunch of people from around town were there. It's extremely sad that this happened. Every sport comes with risks, IndyCar driving more than many, I would think, and, as Wilson had said in the wake of Wheldon's death, that's something you have to weigh and consider when you make the choice to go out there. I think Wilson knew that every time he got into that car, there was a small but real chance he wouldn't get out; that's part of what he was being paid for, sure, but more importantly that was a small price to pay for doing what he loved.

In terms of this particular accident, the way it transpired was terribly, tremendously unlucky. The sport should be looking to make improvements to safety when and where they can, but I believe they're already doing that. It's simply a matter of weight + speed = a tangible mortality rate, which is admittedly little consolation when the world loses a husband and father and racer and decent human being.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(August 25, 2015 at 9:16 am)c172 Wrote: I'm on a couple of motorsports message boards (I'm a big rally fan, as well as IMSA Sports Cars, and also watch some NASCAR and IndyCar), and the closed cockpit thing is a big debate on them now. Designs I've seen are just plain ugly. Maybe it's just that IndyCar and F1 have never before had closed cockpits. Maybe if some other governing body ran them, I'd be OK with it, and it wouldn't look like a messed up IndyCar concept (similarly, in Sports Cars, I hate that Delta Wing, but it would have been fine as a concept car at an auto show).

Closed cockpits were part of the discussion after the Wheldon accident too. I actually like the look of some of the concepts better than the current IRL spec.

[Image: dallara-dw12-indycar-closed-cockpit-concepts-2012-3.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RIP thread Fake Messiah 1749 113749 Today at 9:04 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  There is no justice...... RBG RIP! Brian37 96 5457 September 29, 2020 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Justin Trueau It's Time To Go Amarok 14 1241 April 28, 2019 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Amarok
  RIP Luke Perry Fake Messiah 12 1663 March 8, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  RIP Keith Flint GUBU 1 511 March 4, 2019 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  RIP Stan Lee Foxaèr 1 375 November 13, 2018 at 3:14 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  RIP McCain Losty 51 5583 September 4, 2018 at 11:22 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Rick Wilson Is A Great Ex-Republicunt Minimalist 0 256 August 6, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Justin Trudeau Goes On American Television To Protest Trump's Tariffs Amarok 11 894 June 6, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Rosie Riveter RIP, Brian37 3 947 January 23, 2018 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb