Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings, from a believer
Greetings, from a believer
Don't know the rules here, so I'll keep my language clean.  

My name is Divinity, and I'm 40 something years old, and I'm a believer in god, but not a believer in religion.  I think all those religious texts are full of nonsense.  I wouldn't so much say I defy labels, as I just have no freaking clue what label fits me.  I believe in the divinity of Jesus, but I don't believe that everything written about him that he supposedly said was actually said by him.  I have five grown children who are all atheists.  I don't believe any of the ridiculous things some believers think about atheists (There's good atheists, and bad atheists, etc..)  Most Christian communities are like talking to... sheep.  All I hear is bah bah bah.  So I decided to to join an Atheist community.  I'm not here to convert people.  I don't believe that non-belief in god is something that sends you to hell.  I admit that such an idea is pretty stupid, and very much reminiscent of a con artists ploy to religion (and part of why I don't believe in religion)
RE: Greetings, from a believer
Hello there Divinity, welcome to the forum Smile

Good to hear you haven't bought into the anti-atheist propaganda.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome new gal.

Sounds like you might be a Deist.  
Regardless, welcome to our little corner of the web.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Hello.

You sound more interesting that the average believer - who frankly are not interesting at all - that shows up here.
(August 25, 2015 at 1:21 am)Divinity Wrote: Don't know the rules here, so I'll keep my language clean.  

My name is Divinity, and I'm 40 something years old, and I'm a believer in god, but not a believer in religion.  I think all those religious texts are full of nonsense.  I wouldn't so much say I defy labels, as I just have no freaking clue what label fits me.  I believe in the divinity of Jesus, but I don't believe that everything written about him that he supposedly said was actually said by him.  I have five grown children who are all atheists.  I don't believe any of the ridiculous things some believers think about atheists (There's good atheists, and bad atheists, etc..)  Most Christian communities are like talking to... sheep.  All I hear is bah bah bah.  So I decided to to join an Atheist community.  I'm not here to convert people.  I don't believe that non-belief in god is something that sends you to hell.  I admit that such an idea is pretty stupid, and very much reminiscent of a con artists ploy to religion (and part of why I don't believe in religion)
Welcome. I hope you enjoy your time. Given your intro post, it doesn't seem too incredible to suspect that your five atheist children might very soon claim an atheist mother.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Welcome divinity! The waffles will be here any time now Wink

And yes, you sound way, way more interesting than the average believer. Can't wait to see you around!
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Hello Divinity!
Welcome, I am liking the fact that you are pretty much a free thinker. There are quite a few here who still can't shake off the feeling of a hidden sky daddy, but have broken free from the chains of religion. So you should be able to feel right at home here.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Hi Divinity! Hi nice having you here! Welcome to AF!

You sound like level headed person, and a free thinker. I think you'll be right at home here. Like Cinjin said, you could be a deist.

And here come the welcome waffles c:

[Image: waffle1-624x528.jpg]

Enjoy and do stick around!
Matey, I don't care what you believe in!
Raising 5 kids makes you a hero automatically!

Welcome to sanity central...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings from Serbia! :) EvolucijaSvesti 12 774 November 16, 2023 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Blessings/Greetings to all here. Nishant Xavier 10 1191 June 15, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Greetings deleted 6 813 June 7, 2023 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Greetings!! jonahhockey34 7 1295 October 26, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Greetings Pnerd 13 1262 May 21, 2022 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Greetings everyone h311inac311 11 1286 May 5, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Greetings...... PabloTescobar 22 2798 September 15, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Greetings. Impaler here. impaler 12 1021 August 27, 2020 at 6:14 pm