Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings everyone
Greetings everyone
Hey guys, my name is Chris and I'm a theist who is very tired with the way that other theists discuss religious philosophy. 

As someone who was raised in a church, as well as someone who has read and listened to many atheist vs theist debates, I can tell you that most Christians I encounter really can't justify their views and that kind of disappoints me. It seems that our modern sunday school system is content to produce many "by faith alone" Christians who have no intellectual backbone when it comes to supporting their views, and I'm not a fan of this mentality at all. Our mindful creator gave us this gift of intelligence knowing full well that we would use it against him. I don't think that our Lord fears debate at all especially with those who claim to be on his side. Jesus spent much of his ministry justifying his actions to farmers, sceptics and religious and philosophical leaders and from that tradition we protestants have managed to form one of the most robustly defended and well thought about theologies in the world. From Thomas Aquinas to Martin Luther and perhaps even William Lane Craig I know that we as Christians can do much better to justify the reason for the hope that we have in our hearts and that it isn't all about fire and brimstone for blasphemers and those who dare to think with an independent mind.

As someone who considers himself to have a fairly independent mind himself I get very bored trying to have intellectual conversations with anyone who is too set in their own ways. Make no mistake about it, I googled 'Atheist Form' in order to have my worldview challenged from a fair perspective. I want to do my best to avoid any and all logical fallacies and hopefully learn from you guys as well. The fact that atheists have no super weapon to fall back on has left them in a position where everything they believe must be proven or justified in some form or another and to an extent I envy this community. You guys seem like the last true intellectuals on earth with so few theists wanting their deeply held beliefs challenged.

With much Love from Hell in a Cell.
RE: Greetings everyone
Welcome.

This area is generally reserved for the hi, I'm me things.

To start a discussion on a topic, please start a thread and we can go from there.

We try to keep the intro threads nice and civil...and you know as well as anyone, I'm sure, that the things you mention can get uncivil pretty easily.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 4, 2022 at 3:30 pm)h311inac311 Wrote: The fact that atheists have no super weapon to fall back on has left them in a position where everything they believe must be proven or justified in some form or another and to an extent I envy this community.

First - welcome, as this is the welcome thread.

Being an atheist doesn't make one a philosophical skeptic, or even a staunch rationalist.  We just don't see any argument for gods, despite any "feeling in our hearts".  I'm sure many here will be willing to shoot down theist arguments, but it not possible to "prove" the atheist position.  You may be disappointed, or you may learn something.  Good luck!

I participated in a religious forum as a Christian, and often argued the atheist side for rational reasons.  I quickly talked myself out of believing.
Welcome to the forums, Chris. We have a couple thoughtful Christians who contribute valuable things to our philosophy discussions. I hope you'll be one of them. Happy that you found your way here.

Start a thread, man. I'll make it a point to stop by and chat.
Out of curiosity are you the same hell in a cell I've seen that thinks the earth is flat?

At any rate, welcome.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Welcome aboard. I don't know if atheist have more or better justifications for things - more that it's just one less thing we need to justify. Atheists and theists tend to believe in all the same things, for all of the same reasons...except that one, as predicted by their society.

All of which to say, I hope we don't disappoint. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 4, 2022 at 3:53 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: Out of curiosity are you the same hell in a cell I've seen that thinks the earth is flat?

At any rate, welcome.

Oh my, it seems my reputation proceeds me, I guess this may be another topic that I might have to explore with you on this form. For now I don't want to start that debate here, just know that yes I am a globe Earth skeptic.
(May 4, 2022 at 4:25 pm)h311inac311 Wrote: Oh my, it seems my reputation proceeds me, I guess this may be another topic that I might have to explore with you on this form. For now I don't want to start that debate here, just know that yes I am a globe Earth skeptic.

Bring it on!  Just wear a flame-proof suit Smile
Welcome to AF. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Welcome Woof.

I'll try not to be to Ruff.

No promises, I'm past due on my rabies vaccination.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings from Serbia! :) EvolucijaSvesti 12 750 November 16, 2023 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Blessings/Greetings to all here. Nishant Xavier 10 1183 June 15, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Greetings deleted 6 812 June 7, 2023 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Greetings!! jonahhockey34 7 1283 October 26, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Greetings Pnerd 13 1255 May 21, 2022 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Greetings...... PabloTescobar 22 2793 September 15, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Greetings. Impaler here. impaler 12 995 August 27, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Greetings cleansed 30 2320 April 25, 2020 at 5:29 am