Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fundamentalist Atheism
Fundamentalist Atheism
Hello everyone, Hope you're all having a good day

I've often encountered individuals who parsimoniously claim that atheistic fundamentalism is an actual thing. But what does fundamentalism mean in the first place? According to dictionary.com, and several other lexicons, it is the strict adherence to any basic set of ideas or principles.

Just on that alone, you would get the impression that atheism is anything but fundamentalism. Atheists are intellectually flexible by nature. 

Any atheist would tell you that if sufficient evidence/scientific consensus becomes present, they would change their beliefs in a heartbeat. But I think the key phrase here is  " intellectually flexible by nature " With the emphasis being put on " Intellectually".

Sure, atheists might be willing to change their ideas based on reasoning and scientific/critical thinking, but what about those who harbor excessive hatred to not only religion itself, but to individuals who happen to follow it.

Does that in itself, constitute as fundamentalism?
"organizing atheists has been compared to herding cats, because they tend to think independently and will not conform to authority" -- Richard Dawkins
RE: Fundamentalist Atheism
I'm not sure what there is to be fundamental about. There's only one rule about atheism. The disbelief in gods. Everything else is up in the air. You could still believe in the supernatural. Just not gods. You will probably be secular, but you don't need to believe in evolution or the big bang theory.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I'm a wafflist fundamentalist. None of that liberal pancake shit
I don't know about the label fundamentalist, but there are definitely a subset of atheists out there who come across as very militant in their behavior towards theists. This probably won't be a wholly popular statement I'm about to make, but it's entirely true; several atheists on this board possess a bigoted mindset when it comes to judging theists. You could be a theist of any stripe, doesn't matter, they'll think less of you for it.

There is also gnostic atheism, ie.; a 7 on the Dawkins scale. I'd say any person who takes positions with total epistemological certainty should expect the label of fundamentalist thrown their way, because they've met the entry prerequisite that enables fundamentalist thinking to flourish.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
Yes, there are extremist atheists. No one can deny that. Minimalist is probably the best example of someone around here who has no patience for them, but he has to deal with the likes of Drich and GodsChild.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Sure, I would stop being an atheist if someone defined what a god is supposed to be (I have no idea and I suspect most believers don't either) and then provided evidence that such a thing exists. No one has got as far as defining it yet to my satisfaction. If it means "creator" then I wish people would just call it that! Maybe some people feverishly deny the possibility even if evidence was presented, I don't know. But this certainly isn't "fundamental" to atheism, as it is simply a stance on one single question.

What is less obvious and one thing that winds me up is the preconception of many religious types that becoming a theist means worship. It certainly does not follow. I can be aware of things and acknowledge their existence without having to kiss their ass. I might even think "God" is a piece of shit.

As for being anti-religion, most people with this stance (myself included) are against the harm religion causes, and its special treatment, rather than wanting to actually end religion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 27, 2015 at 1:12 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Yes, there are extremist atheists. No one can deny that. Minimalist is probably the best example of someone around here who has no patience for them, but he has to deal with the likes of Drich and GodsChild.

They deserveth to be shitteth upon.
"Atheism is a religion! Atheism is a religion! Atheism is a religion" - Idiots
(August 27, 2015 at 1:12 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Yes, there are extremist atheists. No one can deny that. Minimalist is probably the best example of someone around here who has no patience for them, but he has to deal with the likes of Drich and GodsChild.

Min is actually a rather lovable bigot. He realizes not all theists deserve the same level of abuse, his level of bigotry scales with the theist.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
Yes, there are extremist or militant atheists, but are there really any atheists who wouldn't be theists if presented with sufficient evidence? Of course not. That's why I dislike the term 'fundamentalist' to characterize more outspoken or strident atheists. The term is nonsense when applied to a group who lack a set of dogmas and who may have virtually nothing in common except a disbelief in god claims for want of good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26870 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Ex-Mormons/Fundamentalist Christians in the House LivingNumbers6.626 16 2048 July 15, 2016 at 12:06 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Would you have sex with a Christian fundamentalist? Jehanne 110 14591 February 2, 2016 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: GodCherry
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12377 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 11970 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
Question advice in dealing with fundamentalist inlaws praying at meals? matthewcornell 35 6138 June 9, 2014 at 9:10 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10391 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 11961 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 37888 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack
  It Would Appear I Am A Fundamentalist! Kyuuketsuki 11 4758 June 1, 2009 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet