Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-Mormons/Fundamentalist Christians in the House
Ex-Mormons/Fundamentalist Christians in the House
Luckily, my father has been quite understanding about my final say on religion and my inclination towards agnosticism. 

My Grandmother on the other hand...not so much. My mother always has hopes I'd return. My aunt suggests I run to Jesus to become happy and whole again. But other than that...I think this is very manageable compared to when I first came out 1.5 years ago like Clint Eastwood (my bad). *awkward chuckle*

So anyways I am quite happy about it since this time it isn't the "end of the world." But initially 1.5 years ago it was quite catastrophic but I played a good part in burning bridges and having my fair share of harsh words. 

So that being said, here is my question? Any ex-Mormons in the house? 

If so:
1) How long did it take you to come to peace with leaving admitting disbelief? It took me about 1.5 years, the guilt and denial was on and off.
2) How close are you to your family? Is there a feeling that you may never "fit in" again with your family after leaving? I kind of get that feeling...but I'm at peace with that now too.
3) After being accustom to Mormon culture for a long time (perhaps since birth) did you ever find yourself socially awkward at times when exploring places and opportunities you could never had if you were still a TBM?

And for ex-christian fundamentalists, I'd like to hear your input too as I know that the transition away from a solid church community of all sorts can be very difficult.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Ex-Mormons/Fundamentalist Christians in the House
Not an ex-Mormon, but I have the 2 books by the Tanners on all the chicanery the Mormons have been up to since day one.

Suffice to say, while all religions are false, Mormonism is ESPECIALLY false.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

BTW, I'm familiar with a very obscure off shoot of the Mormons, the Congregation of Jehovah's Presbytery of Zion, also known as the Baneemyites.

Take Mormonism and add communism, the kind of communism where the guy running the whole thing is just doing it for the $$$$$$$$$$.

I realize that kinda describes regular Mormonism, but the Conjespresites (another term for them) took it to a new level.

I'm assuming when you were in LDS they NEVER mentioned the Baneemyites.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 11, 2016 at 9:40 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Not an ex-Mormon, but I have the 2 books by the Tanners on all the chicanery the Mormons have been up to since day one.

Suffice to say, while all religions are false, Mormonism is ESPECIALLY false.

Can I please have the title to these two books?
And most definitely...all it takes is a little bit of google power to figure that. haha
(July 11, 2016 at 9:47 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: BTW, I'm familiar with a very obscure off shoot of the Mormons, the Congregation of Jehovah's Presbytery of Zion, also known as the Baneemyites.

Take Mormonism and add communism, the kind of communism where the guy running the whole thing is just doing it for the $$$$$$$$$$.

I realize that kinda describes regular Mormonism, but  the Conjespresites (another term for them) took it to a new level.

I'm assuming when you were in LDS they NEVER mentioned the Baneemyites.

Wow, I'll have to look into that. They never did mention that one, formally no one really ever does mention any sort of off shoot from mainstream mormonism though most have a coherent understanding of the larger off shoots: Fundemental LDS (who in years past sold out to the Baptists for money) and the polygamist mormons. But that sort of hush hush deal is pretty much the same on any subject, as giving notice to the existence of outside influence would deter from your own religious cause if anyone is to ask questions.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Changing-Wor...SwjXRXcVjk

14 bucks ($10 book, $4 shipping)

It is just an amazing piece of literature.  You will be STUNNED how much of what the Tanners have is from Mormon archives.  The implication being, the current church hierarchy is fully aware their faith is a steaming pile of garbage, and that's why when someone these days want's to look at an old edition of any Mormon publications, they are frequently unavailable because they reveal things were different back then and they do not want to upset the apple cart.  Even old settlers diaries (they have a pile of them) are unavailable if they mention anything that reveals a secret, or something that was changed, or some doctrine that has since changed.

And since the LDS church was (foolishly) commanded by God (snicker) to be a record keeping people, they kept records compulsively, and almost from day one, tended to publish everything.  So items that are unavailable in the Mormon archives tend to turn up in other non Mormon controlled archives and collections.  People just have to be looking for them (like the Tanners did) and recognize items when they find them.

Did you know the ORIGINAL version of the revelation allowing polygamy restricted wives subsequent to the first to be only Native Americans ??

Stuff like that.  There is almost 600 pages of it in The Changing World of Mormonism.

ALL the revelations have been changed since they were first received, some more than twice !!!

The second book I have is an early version of The Changing World of Mormonism. It doesn't really add anything to the second one, and is much harder to use. I think the Moody Bible Press people realized there was hot poop in the first version and hammered it into the far more useful and coherent second version.

Did you ever notice the Mormon explanation of the trinity is spectacularly confusing ??

Not that the Catholics and Protestants have a clear take on it either, but the Mormon version is just fucked; internally inconsistent and befuddled.

Joseph Smith's first vision is also a SPECTACULAR fuck up since he approved several versions, mutually inconsistent with each other, for publication at different times, and also dictated a different version (or three) and then wrote IN HIS OWN HAND another version.

Believe it or not, but as you know, Mormons are REQUIRED to believe Joseph Smiths first vision to be Mormons, but the version handwritten by Joseph himself wasn't discovered before they made the requirement, so believing that version can get you excommunicated.

I'd almost think, if Joseph Smith were alive today and said his handwritten version was the right one, he'd be excommunicated too. It would just be easier to do that than to admit they fucked that part up.

BTW, do you know the year the first vision occurred ??

It turns out Joseph gave so many different ones (and apparently he never coughed up a year when if it did happen it did, based on other things he said were happening at the time) that no one actually knows, for sure what year it did happen. Joseph was terrible, just effing terrible at remembering all his lies, there being just so fucking many of them, it was just impossible.

(July 11, 2016 at 10:17 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: The second book  I have is an early version of The Changing World of Mormonism.  It doesn't really add anything to the second one, and is much harder to use.  I think the Moody Bible Press people realized there was hot poop in the first version and hammered it into the far more useful and coherent second version.

Did you ever notice the Mormon explanation of the trinity is spectacularly confusing ??

Not that the Catholics and Protestants have a clear take on it either, but the Mormon version is just fucked; internally inconsistent and befuddled.  

Joseph Smith's first vision is also a SPECTACULAR fuck up since he approved several versions, mutually inconsistent with each other, for publication at different times, and also dictated a different version (or three) and then wrote IN HIS OWN HAND another version.

Believe it or not, but as you know, Mormons are REQUIRED to believe Joseph Smiths first vision to be Mormons, but the version handwritten by Joseph himself wasn't discovered before they made the requirement, so believing that  version can get you excommunicated.

I'd almost think, if Joseph Smith were alive today and said his handwritten version was the right one, he'd be excommunicated too.  It would just be easier to do that than to admit they fucked that part up.

BTW, do you know the year the first vision occurred ??

It turns out Joseph gave so many different ones (and apparently he never coughed up a year when if it did happen it did, based on other things he said were happening at the time) that no one actually knows, for sure what year it did happen.  Joseph was terrible, just effing terrible at remembering all his lies, there being just so fucking many of them, it was just impossible.

I'll have to look into getting that book. Yes, I remember reading into the first visions and thinking "what in the world! they're all fundamentally different to one another so which one is the one that is supposed to dictate true mormon theology?! The idea on the Trinity and monotheism is paramount!"

Mormonism and the entire movement is quite interesting as a whole. I'll never forget the time I saw persons from the re-organized church in Nauvoo, IL and thinking to myself "that looks exactly like 'us' but yet it isn't 'us'." It's a weird feeling and looking up all the other sects and viewing the photos available, they have a similar "vibe" and feel that the mainstream LDS sect of my past has. Just, I guess, Brigham Young found more luck in establishing something more devisive and efficient as far as religious entities go.
Brigham Young made up shit as he went along too. Quite a bit of weirdness stems from him trying to straighten out some of Joseph's fuck ups. And he fucked up stuff on his own.

Brigham had a distillery in Salt Lake City. He liked cigars too, and other Mormon men's wives . . . .

I know a descendant of Brigham Young here, she wasn't real specific which wife she is descended from.

(July 12, 2016 at 2:27 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Brigham Young made up shit as he went along too.  Quite a bit of weirdness stems from him trying to straighten out some of Joseph's fuck ups. And he fucked up stuff on his own.

Brigham had a distillery in Salt Lake City.  He liked cigars too, and other Mormon men's wives . . . .

I know a descendant of Brigham Young here, she wasn't real specific which wife she is descended from.

Yeah, and the only bar available in Nauvoo during the life of Joseph was in his own house...until his wife Emma called him out for basically being a hypocrite and they removed it. 

Mormon's have this funny way of making rules and then everyone just pretends like they are obeying all of them and that things like sex and the word of wisdom is an easy thing for them to cope with. It is sad because I think because of this Mormon's have lost a bit of their humanity...meaning their denial in the fact that everyone can not simply abstain for very human vices and when they don't abstain then it is the devils working. Ehhhh....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remove Bishops from House of Lords - Petition Mr Greene 19 2091 February 9, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Would you have sex with a Christian fundamentalist? Jehanne 110 14855 February 2, 2016 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: GodCherry
  Fundamentalist Atheism ScepticOrganism 43 11777 August 31, 2015 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: MattB
Question advice in dealing with fundamentalist inlaws praying at meals? matthewcornell 35 6228 June 9, 2014 at 9:10 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  creepy Mormons justin 9 2145 February 12, 2013 at 12:54 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Can Any God Build His Own House of Warship? sun 10 2976 March 11, 2011 at 9:32 am
Last Post: Zenith
  Nativity scene in my house! Thor 27 9428 December 23, 2010 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Thor
  It Would Appear I Am A Fundamentalist! Kyuuketsuki 11 4798 June 1, 2009 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet