Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to say to Grandma?
What to say to Grandma?
My grandma is very devoutly Catholic, and always has been. I don't think she knew I was an atheist until a month or so ago; we don't see each other very often, but we do get along well (as long as we don't talk politics or religion, haha).

Out of the blue, she's been sending me these emails. They were a lot of chain emails with "cute" or "inspirational" stories, all of which centered around god or Jesus. But just recently, they've become anti-atheist emails. Mostly, I just ignore them. The chain emails always go to me and several other people, but the anti-atheist emails are coming to just me. She sent me one this morning with a "funny" story about how all atheists are dumb assholes, and made a comment about how I probably wouldn't believe the story anyway. It felt pretty directly insulting, but I haven't said anything yet.

I'm debating on if/what I should say to my grandma. I love her dearly, but I've never challenged or criticized religion (let alone hers directly) in front of her, and when she's criticized atheism or my political or social beliefs I've always just let it go without a counterargument because I don't want to start something. But I'm getting really tired of it, especially since the emails are becoming more insulting towards atheists. I guarantee I've done more soul searching and more seeking answers from god that she has; I've done more searching for god than almost anyone else I know. (And, of course, my searching led me to atheism.)

My knee-jerk reaction this morning over the latest anti-atheist email was to fire back with criticisms on Catholicism and how, in my opinion, it's willful ignorance to ignore the laws of science in favor of beliefs that have been around since before mankind even understood that the moon wasn't a deity and the world was indeed round. I wanted to send her all sorts of quotes and articles and evidence of evolution (which was a theme of this morning's email) and how it's just as true as gravity, but I bit my tongue because I know she would not likely read any of it anyway.

What would you say to your grandma? Would you stand up to her and tell her to knock it off? I feel pretty certain that she views attacking my beliefs as her religious duty, but if I defend myself it'll just be seen as an evil attack and further fuel the idea of a war on religion she has in her head; she strongly feels Christians are more persecuted in America than minorities, non-heterosexuals, and transgenders combined.

How do I get her to back off without it being seen as me attacking her?
RE: What to say to Grandma?
"Grandma, you know I love you - but could you please stop spamming my inbox with all that bullshit?"
(September 1, 2015 at 8:31 pm)cosmowanderer Wrote:

How do I get her to back off without it being seen as me attacking her?

Depending on your grandmother, that might be impossible.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I wouldn't do anything. I know it's annoying, but I think in this case, a lack of words communicates way more strongly than anything you could say to her.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Tell her something to give her a heart attack.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Be respectful, and tell people you love what they want to hear. Otherwise it just becomes a battle of the egos.
You're better than that.
Then again, I'm half Vulcan.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I can't argue with Vulcan logic. Smile <3
Put pervert priest cartoon in Google search box and click images.  Then send her one whenever she does it.

Like:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVAsEFCkeu2kzbzIlviJ...uFj8M6nPMQ]
(September 1, 2015 at 8:38 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Be respectful, and tell people you love what they want to hear. Otherwise it just becomes a battle of the egos.
You're better than that.
Then again, I'm half Vulcan.

(September 1, 2015 at 9:17 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Put pervert priest cartoon in Google search box and click images.  Then send her one whenever she does it.

Like:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnVAsEFCkeu2kzbzIlviJ...uFj8M6nPMQ]

Yes, yes, yes.... My grandma does claim to love humorous cartoons. Wink
Update... she emailed me again, asking if I've changed my mind about being an atheist. I told her it's not really something I can just change my mind about, but if she would like to ask me any questions about it, she is more than welcome to. She replied saying she has no questions but that she wants me to change my mind before it's too late. Feeling a little pissed off, I replied letting her know that I have an open mind and that if I ever do find reason to believe again, I will, but that I've searched for god more than most people and have left no stone unturned or question unasked. I told her I feel atheism isn't an "option" I just whimsically chose, but the conclusion to an extensive decade-long search.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1053 68903 March 23, 2024 at 11:17 am
Last Post: no one
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 16548 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What will you say to God when you stand before him? The Valkyrie 78 8555 March 5, 2021 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Lightbearer
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 3952 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  Let's say we evolved from Lions Mystic 27 4164 May 29, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: brewer
  Lets say that tomorow it will be proven that God doesn't exist , religion will fade , notimportant1234 54 11019 October 28, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Question Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it? theBorg 52 8797 October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 40297 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  What is the dumbest thing you've ever heard a theist say? Vincent 74 13996 October 21, 2015 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Does God follow his WORD? Or is it --- do as I say and not as I do? Greatest I am 84 21146 March 17, 2015 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus