Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of California microaggrssions list
University of California microaggrssions list
http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-p...ssions.pdf

I read this list, and I'm totally dumbfounded at some of the things on this list that are considered "Microaggressions"  
Quote:You speak English very well.
Really? That's discrimination? Not an acknowledgement that learning a second language, especially English, and becoming proficient at is fucking hard? It can take years of work for people from non-english countries to be become good with english, and I think people deserve respect for that. But yes I can concede that you it could be annoying if your from say the US, but if you don't look like your from the US wouldn't be a little odd for people just to assume you are?
Quote:A person asking an Asian American or Latino American to teach them words in their native language.
I honestly think this shows curiosity and wanting to learn about other cultures, the opposite of bigotry.

Another
Quote:“There is only one race, the human race.”
Apparently that is a racist statement and this is under the same category
Quote:“When I look at you, I don’t see color.”
They have it a bit poorly worded, but is it racist to say "When I look I see people, not races"?

Apparently this is racist if its directed at a non-white student
Quote:To an Asian, Latino or Native American: “Why are you so quiet? We want to know what you think. Be more verbal.” “Speak up more
Or asking a black person to quiet down is also racist
Quote:Asking a Black person: “Why do you have to be so loud/animated? Just calm down.”
Isn't racist to say something like be quiet to a white person and not to a black behaving the same way?

while I will concede some of these are valid and happen, the fact that the outlandish ones are mixed with very valid things that we should work against is somewhat disturbing.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: University of California microaggrssions list
You know, this PC (un)culture is getting ridiculous quickly. There's not one statement that can't be interpreted as being honest, curious or to have any other harmless explanation that doesn't include aggression or racism. I wouldn't even know what microaggression is supposed to mean. Obviously some new buzz word some smarty pants came up with to show their intellectual superiority.

And on the other hand, you get these people, who pound their breasts over not being PC and use their supposed openess and honesty to transport all kinds of bigotry.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Microaggression might be out, but I think nanoaggression ought to be protected as free speech.
(September 2, 2015 at 8:48 pm)abaris Wrote: You know, this PC (un)culture is getting ridiculous quickly. There's not one statement that can't be interpreted as being honest, curious or to have any other harmless explanation that doesn't include aggression or racism. I wouldn't even know what microaggression is supposed to mean. Obviously some new buzz word some smarty pants came up with to show their intellectual superiority.

And on the other hand, you get these people, who pound their breasts over not being PC and use their supposed openess and honesty to transport all kinds of bigotry.

To be clear I am not one of those types. I identify very deeply as a egalitarian and try to make my life and choices reflect such.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I wonder if my wanting to give a blumpkin to a male of other than the Caucasian persuasion is racist ?  And does it make a difference if they really, really, really, really, really want one ??   

I wonder if I could contact the UofC for clarification ??

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I could explain all of these to you and why they are microaggressions if you wish.
(September 2, 2015 at 9:08 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I wonder if my wanting to give a blumpkin to a male of other than the Caucasian persuasion is racist ?  And does it make a difference  if they really, really, really, really, really want one ??   

I wonder if I could contact the UofC for clarification ??

Tongue

Having made this mistake before, I council all AF member to NOT Google blumpkin. --- It's very hard to unknow things. 

But by all means vorlon, get the UofC to Google it.  It'll be good for their open-mindedness.   Tell them they're being very unPC should they ask you for a definition.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(September 2, 2015 at 9:49 pm)Handprint Wrote: I could explain all of these to you and why they are microaggressions if you wish.

Would it be their explanation or yours?  Both?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(September 2, 2015 at 9:53 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(September 2, 2015 at 9:49 pm)Handprint Wrote: I could explain all of these to you and why they are microaggressions if you wish.

Would it be their explanation or yours?  Both?

I went to a very liberal college that was very big on microaggressions and social justice. So I've asked questions about these topics or I've been required to take courses with this topic included within.
(September 2, 2015 at 10:00 pm)Handprint Wrote:
(September 2, 2015 at 9:53 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Would it be their explanation or yours?  Both?

I went to a very liberal college that was very big on microaggressions and social justice. So I've asked questions about these topics or I've been required to take courses with this topic included within.

Uh huh.  I get that you've heard the answers.  The OP's link contains the answers.  Do you agree with them?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting Turn of Events in California Minimalist 25 3080 May 12, 2018 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Schindler's List and the mind of Drumpf Brian37 49 7261 November 22, 2016 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Trump has an enemies list Manowar 15 1923 November 15, 2016 at 12:33 am
Last Post: CWoods
  Michael Moore's To-Do List Mechaghostman2 1 641 November 10, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Few Surprises on this List. Minimalist 11 1932 March 4, 2015 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  California Female Inmates Sterilized thesummerqueen 19 6894 July 9, 2013 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Psykhronic
  California keeps death penalty. Something completely different 5 1863 November 10, 2012 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  California's gay marriage ban unconstitutional Doubting Thomas 24 8061 February 15, 2012 at 4:30 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  California Politician Advocates Assassination of Obama & Family Erinome 29 11694 December 20, 2011 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Radicalized at university OnlyNatural 6 2089 March 18, 2011 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Jaysyn