Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People with facial hair, how do you shave/trim?
People with facial hair, how do you shave/trim?
Recently my girlfriend got me a wetshaving kit with a safety razor, a brush and I got myself a nice shaving cream - I started shaving my face when I was 14 and it still hasn't developed fully but it has grown enough for me to shave daily if I want to maintain the clean shaven look.

When I started shaving I used shaving gel and disposables, then one day my mom got me a Mach 3 and I used it until I ran out of blades - I never bought new ones because of ridiculously overpriced they are, not to mention I like to grow my facial hair for some days (sometimes a week) until I shave and cartridge razor blades get dull and clogged with hairs if I shave a 7 day beard. I got a close shave with disposables as much as I got with the Mach 3, so I used them + shaving gel until about one month ago.

I used to go straight against the grain, a terrible mistake that cost me lots of skin cuts, razor burns, bumps and ingrown hairs. Since I started shaving just with the grain in my first year of college I get a much closer, comfortable shave. I used to do a pass with the grain and a second pass to make sure I got all the hairs (with the grain as well). I prefer bic sensitive single blade razors and I think those are the best disposables on the market considering the price.

Now with a safety razor things have improved a lot, shaving is more enjoyable and doesn't feel like a chore like it used to - I still do two passes on my face, but the second one is across the grain to reduce stubble length - Going against the grain is usually a free ticket to get razor burns as my skin is sensitive. I'm not into the whole addiction of collecting all kinds of razors, brushes, blades, etc, but I do enjoy having the new tools - Blades are super cheap, about 25 cents per blade, and razors can cost some money but will last a lifetime if properly cared for (a good blade can be bought for 30-50 but you can pay more if you want to) - Some brushes are very cheap as well and good quality, and creams are more expensive than shaving gel but since I used less amounts I pay around the same (for the creams). Due to the comfort on my face from shaving with a safety razor I started shaving daily about a month ago and I haven't had any problems - I sometimes give my skin a rest on sundays.

If I even went back to disposables I'd prefer to just use an electric trimmer/shaver - There are some good quality ones even if you pay a significant amount of money and it's very rare to cut yourself. A good option for those who dislike shaving with a razor.

What about you guys?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: People with facial hair, how do you shave/trim?
Electric/Norelco. Not enough hair to fuss about. Shave every other day, maybe. My wife has to sometimes remind me to mow the yard.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I use this:

The Philips QT4015/23.

Up to 20 length settings yo.
Napo, Is that a real electric shaver or just a trimmer designed for shortening hairs but not clean shaving?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Well I had a 'real' electric shaver before and this does the job just as good as that if I want to. It is just a trimmer though. But to be honest I don't like going clean shaved anymore, it just reveals my many chins.
Yeah I pretty much just use plastic disposables. I shave on average once every two and a half weeks. Like you suggested, Dyst, get everything off with the grain, and then a quick run against the grain to get stubble, especially on my neck. With shaving two or three week beards, the razors don't last more than 2 shaves, but that's fine when you're doing 20 shaves a year
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Really? If I use disposables on a 2 week beard it will get clogged with hair and I have to use two razors to shave my beard off, and I run the risk of irritating my skin. If you don't have a work requirement to shave, why not just grow it out? I mean, maintaining a beard can be hard for beginners but it's not that hard. I'm not very fond of changing looks quickly, so right now either I shave everyday or grow it and keep the beard.

I go against the grain and only use a single blade. Multi-bladed razors only increase irritation and don't do a better job. There's a limit to how close you can get. I also find that shaving after a hot shower decreases pain and irritation. I use a warm wet towel if I'm shaving without the shower.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I agree, more blades does not mean you will get a closer shave, that's why in the disposable market I prefer bics with just one razor - I probably didn't say it in the OP but all safety razors have one blade on each side and straight razors have only one incorporated blade - More blades doesn't equal more quality.

(September 3, 2015 at 5:51 pm)Exian Wrote: I go against the grain and only use a single blade. Multi-bladed razors only increase irritation and don't do a better job. There's a limit to how close you can get. I also find that shaving after a hot shower decreases pain and irritation. I use a warm wet towel if I'm shaving without the shower.

You are supposed to shave with the grain, not against it, which is probably why your skin is irritated. Multi-bladed razors have the extra blades so that you can shave closer to the skin in one stroke.

As for me, I use multi-bladed razors for shaving my neck area in order to create a good neckline for my beard. I also shave my upper cheeks because my beard does not grow very well there. I use an electric beard trimmer to trim the actual beard to a length when I want to keep it short (in the summer), and then for winter I grow it out and use a pair of scissors to shape.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No-Shave November Foxaèr 10 667 October 29, 2023 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1013 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Coconut Oil for the hair? Foxaèr 29 3078 May 31, 2018 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How do you people with long hair put it up? Foxaèr 32 6188 April 21, 2018 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Nose and Ear Hair brewer 11 1950 July 8, 2016 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pubic Hair Preferences (for men only) Catholic_Lady 85 13144 October 9, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: John V
  How do you deal with people who tell you you'll burn in hell? IanHulett 46 8587 February 10, 2015 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Hair cuts BrokenQuill92 0 577 May 5, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  New Hair Color(s) BrokenQuill92 7 1676 February 15, 2014 at 7:04 am
Last Post: noor100
  Let your hair down, what bone headed things have you done? Brian37 46 15367 July 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Reforged