Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Greet People?
How Do You Greet People?
I'm curious how you (yes, you) greet friends and acquaintances.
A handshake? Hug? Kiss on both (face) cheeks? A piercing, thousand meter stare? Look at the floor and no eye contact? Awkward giggles? Do you greet men vs. women differently?

My family was very hands-off while I was growing up so hugging or any physical contact was verboten. Then I moved to California, with lots of different cultures and attitudes. Now I do lot more hugging when greeting friends, acquaintances and even business associates. But I try to read body language before I go in for the kill.
It takes awhile to get settled into parties with my Latino friends with all the hugging and handshaking upon arrival, which I love.

But occasionally, just when I think I have it all figured out, I meet someone new and end up in an awkward situation.

So how do you greet people?

-Teresa
RE: How Do You Greet People?
(August 1, 2018 at 9:08 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: A handshake? Hug? Kiss on both (face) cheeks? A piercing, thousand meter stare? Look at the floor and no eye contact? Awkward giggles? Do you greet men vs. women differently?

All of the above!  For fun..I like to mix and match two at the same time.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm naturally pretty shy and reserved but like you I've learned to blend in in a lot of different situations where the norms vary. In the art world there is a lot of easy physical intimacy. Teaching, I'd avoid it like the plague.

I made the mistake of giving a young woman who is an old gardening contact a hug, very discreet - no boob compression at all. (Did that sound creepy?) But she is from Eastern Europe and as good looking as she is she has probably been hit on a lot. Never thought she'd see me that. Maybe I'll take it as a compliment.
If its a catholick priest I back up against the nearest wall so he can't get behind me.
It depends. Close friends - a hug. My kids - obviously a hug. Most other people I greet with a happy "hi, how are you?" sort of thing.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Woof, arf, bark, ruff, grrrrrrrrrrr. I not one of those butt sniffers. 

Usually hi or hello (it is nebraska so hey or howdy sometimes comes out). A wave if they're at distance, handshake if they're close. No hugging or kissing if I can help it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 1, 2018 at 9:28 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(August 1, 2018 at 9:08 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: A handshake? Hug? Kiss on both (face) cheeks? A piercing, thousand meter stare? Look at the floor and no eye contact? Awkward giggles? Do you greet men vs. women differently?

All of the above!  For fun..I like to mix and match two at the same time.

Nice! Maybe I'll try that at the next party. Big Grin

-Teresa
At sword point.
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 1, 2018 at 11:39 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: At sword point.

Is that doctor code for scalpel? Big Grin

-Teresa

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1012 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  How do you deal with people who tell you you'll burn in hell? IanHulett 46 8560 February 10, 2015 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand