Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism on the uprise?
Atheism on the uprise?
So I have to believe that with more education and the advances we've made in the last century or so. That atheism would logically be on the uprise...right? Question is how many are actually going to admit it? And are there solid numbers out there to show it?
RE: Atheism on the uprise?
Overall atheism is on the rise, worldwide, according to The Christian Science Monitor article:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-Ne...-the-globe

According to the Pew Foundation's polling numbers, the USA is experiencing a rapid rise in non-religion:

"In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%)"
http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

As dumb old religious fucktards die off the percentage of jesus freak morons in the country declines.  This is a good thing.
In Europe it's certainly on the rise.

According to the last Gallup poll, in my country, 59 percent of the population identifies as being non religious.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Fingers crossed for the US. I wonder how long it will take us non-religious folks to be the majority?
(September 7, 2015 at 12:17 pm)brian1570 Wrote: Fingers crossed for the US. I wonder how long it will take us non-religious folks to be the majority?
At 58, I doubt I'll see that day. But I do think it will come.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
In europe, we now have an immigrant, baby-booming, muslim population...
Apart from that, atheism is the de-facto norm in sub-40's.
If it isn't, most of the sub-40 believers are keeping it hush-hush.
but ya know, a lot of the muslim folks gettin real tired of the crap their "people" are throwing around. give it a generation or two. they'll drop the act.
The cartoons and posters I see here need vastly wider distribution. They cater to the typical short attention span prevalent today.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 7, 2015 at 1:01 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: The cartoons and posters I see here need vastly wider distribution.  They cater to the typical short attention span prevalent today.

i have a lot saved to my phone. will slowly trickle them into my facebook. which sucks cuz thats exactly what bible thumpers do. so i guess we have to fight fire with fire?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27112 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12470 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12148 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38079 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack