Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Thing I Miss About Church is....
One Thing I Miss About Church is....
I know it may be hard for some of us heathens to find some good in organized religion, but let's be fair. There's got be some positive aspect of religion/church that you can admit you kinda, sorta miss a little. So, fess up. Doesn't matter how small it is...Hell, it may even be somewhat profound. I'll start:

I miss all of the baked stuff. No one, and I really mean no one, bakes a cake or pie like a church lady. They don't give a damn about cholesterol and their desserts prove it....all butter, all the time. There was a lady at my  church who made a standard-sized cherry cheesecake that must have weighed at least 12 pounds, easily. I've never tasted anything that even comes close, since. Coconut cake, pecan pie, fudge, all that shit...best in the world.

Alright, your turn!
RE: One Thing I Miss About Church is....
Nope.  I miss it as much as I'd miss slamming my nuts in a car door.
Church lady apple pie with a real lard crust. Served still warm from oven with scoop of homemade ice cream on top.

Woot!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I like church architecture.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(September 13, 2015 at 12:23 am)Minimalist Wrote: Nope.  I miss it as much as I'd miss slamming my nuts in a car door.
Ha! I knew you'd say that...at least the Nope part.
(September 13, 2015 at 12:23 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Church lady apple pie with a real lard crust.  Served still warm from oven with scoop of homemade ice cream on top.

Woot!
Mmm, lard. So few are willing to utilize it these days. Certain, yet delicious death.
We didn't have any baked goods after mass, so, no, I don't miss anything. Our church wasn't a small community either, so we really didn't do any socializing with the people after mass, so absolutely nothing to miss.

If I had to pick something, I guess I missed being in a church alone, and just having some peace, but that can be done elsewhere.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
(September 13, 2015 at 12:23 am)Minimalist Wrote: Nope.  I miss it as much as I'd miss slamming my nuts in a car door.

I get the sentiment, but I'm pretty sure your nuts would prefer church.
No, it was a 100% miserable experience.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I miss my parish priest.

With every paving stone so far.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 331 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 836 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  What do Atheists miss mostly about the 1970s Edge92 16 3658 June 4, 2021 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2685 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14038 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3688 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27638 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Do You Ever Miss God? Rhondazvous 75 20757 May 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me. Mechaghostman2 30 5853 November 6, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheism and Anti-Theism same thing? ErGingerbreadMandude 114 17229 February 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky