Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Expanse (SyFy series)
The Expanse (SyFy series)
Is anyone here watching The Expanse, and can you recommend it? I just stumbled across the trailers and wasn't aware that it's a thing. Apparently it just got renewed for a third season, too. Looks intriguing, not the usual shallow SyFy shlock..

https://youtu.be/-RLkaJS1SpM
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: The Expanse (SyFy series)
I can absolutely recommend it - easily the most grounded and thoughtful take on "space opera" that I've seen in the film/TV medium. It has an intriguing plot that gradually develops and begins to touch on some fascinating concepts. Can't really give away much more.
I'd say it takes about 5-6 episodes to really get going as it lays a lot of groundwork first, but once it does it's a fantastic show and has maintained a high level up to the latest episode.

The Expanse is basically the spearhead for SyFy getting their shit back together, and it's a damn good one at that.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Just binge watched the first season. I'll have to recommend it as well. Not only is it pretty well written and directed, they spent a bundle making the effects realistic.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(April 2, 2017 at 2:23 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: Just binge watched the first season. I'll have to recommend it as well. Not only is it pretty well written and directed, they spent a bundle making the effects realistic.

From the snippets I've seen and reviews I've read, I was afraid that they are making the "protomolecule" thingy a bit tacky, unrealistic and deus ex machinay. Is that fear unfounded?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Now you've got me sitting here trying to remember what the "protomolecule" thing was even about. Yeah, in ten episodes, watched back-to-back-to-back-to... I only remember it even being mentioned once or twice. It's certainly not used as a duex ex machina. I've not read any reviews, but it sound like someone got a bug up their butt about something they didn't like about the supporting science. The thing I try to keep in mind is that writers, no matter how well prepared and researched, are not scientists. If they were, no one would ever have dreamed up the warp drive. Smile

As a guy who knows little but the basics about science, I found it to be a very realistic show, both in its science and in its human motivations.

As a sci-fi geek I found it to be among the best sci-fi shows produced in the last 20 years.

Give it a go. At worst, your out an hour or two for giving it a chance, and even then I doubt it'll be time you beg to have back.
Ugh my husband watches that. Not my thing. He'd recommend it though.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
It doesn't look like my thing either, but I might give it a try. I need something to watch.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I just watched the first three while doing menial work. Looks like Film Noir in space meets Total Recall meets Battlestar Galactica, pretty awesome all around.

It strikes me as being very cyber-punk, not that there's anything wrong with that. Some of the best recent sci-fi has been in that sub-genre.

If you liked "The Expanse," keep an eye out for "Altered Carbon" coming to Netflix. It's based on the first book of the Takeshi Kovacs series of books by Richard K. Morgan. Very, very good cyber-punk.
Also, a wonderful touch which I just *love* is that the population of the Asteroid belt all have a very distinct accent. But what on earth (pun intended) is that? It sounds to me like vaguely African, Irish, Caribbean, Pacific, or a mix of all of those. Can a native speaker enlighten me?

(to be heard from the narrator/activist speaking in the intro I posted in the OP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RLkaJS1...e=youtu.be)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Profiles In Courage TV Series Kernel Sohcahtoa 0 405 April 12, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  What's your the best old TV series from the 80's? KittyAnn 37 4362 December 10, 2017 at 1:37 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Best anime series and anime movie in the world ErGingerbreadMandude 26 4234 November 20, 2017 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  TV series-- Legion bennyboy 8 1077 February 28, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  New X-Files mini series discussion Foxaèr 90 12759 February 23, 2016 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Great video series. Jehanne 0 618 February 5, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Childhood's End: A.C Clark's book turned in to a Syfi series! Aroura 8 1907 September 13, 2015 at 10:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  So, is anyone familiar with the "Solving History with Olly Steed" series?s abaris 0 1049 September 1, 2015 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Awsome new Stephen Fry series on homophobia Something completely different 17 4443 November 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  The Wheel of Time series Ryantology 0 884 January 26, 2013 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Ryantology