Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I approach the Jehovah Witnesses loitering outside of my office?
Should I approach the Jehovah Witnesses loitering outside of my office?
They seem to appear on certain days of the week and have these annoying signs with annoying questions on them. Such as "Are we created?", etc. Obviously, I know that humans were not designed, and I have to grapple with the problem of evil every single day in my current job so I find assertions like that very insulting. I know Jehovah Witnesses are very closed minded people, and probably shouldn't be approached, so maybe let's talk about religionist kiosks more generally.

Telling readers about my current job may ultimately help someone trying to identify (perhaps in the future) me build up a picture of me but I'm just going to go ahead and say it:

I work for my local council as part of the team that assesses applications for parking badges for disabled people. Part of my role involves reading the many sad accounts that people give of their lives in order to obtain the highly coveted disabled parking badge (the badge means a lot to lots of people, so we receive lots of letters of thanks). My job is quite sad, but I know that I have a big impact on the lives of others.

Some examples: This person's application has a stamp from one of the local hospices, meaning that they are scheduled to die of cancer very soon - therefore their application gets given priority. Or, for example, this baby cannot survive without clunky medical equipment therefore their application is given special consideration. There was one application that stuck in my mind, submitted by a doctor who was originally born in Baghdad, Iraq, and I'd hate to find out exactly why he was in the condition that he was it. I felt compelled to write a letter of apology to him to say sorry for how Western imperialism is destroying his place of birth, but I knew that would be inappropriate.

Like I sad, many sad stories. And it makes me so angry people telling me all of this suffering is part of their deity's plan for a person. Or how humans are perfectly designed (when these stories show that they clearly aren't). I 'm wondering if educate the religionists during my lunch break maybe, but I know that may be a waste.
Thank you for your consideration.

RE: Should I approach the Jehovah Witnesses loitering outside of my office?
Look at it like this: If a god does exist he made disabled people so that you would have a job deciding if they should have a special parking permit.
Is it worth your time though?

You're not going to change his mind, and he's not going to change yours.

The only upside is that he might move spots.

Were it me, I would only have a conversation about it if he approached me, and I wasn't busy.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
No, I really don't think you should confront them. Unless you're an astonishingly persuasive person, you aren't going to get them to see the other side of the question (or even make them realize that it is a question) and you're not likely to get them to move along and peddle their tripe elsewhere.

As the adage goes, I can't recommend giving singing lessons to this particular pig.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
No, you should just leave them alone and get on with your work.
No, just tip your hat to them as you walk by quickly.
(January 19, 2016 at 5:27 am)Mancunian Wrote: No, just tip your hat to them as you walk by quickly.

And kick them in the balls, if they're males. Cause religion sucks.
(January 19, 2016 at 5:30 am)Bella Morte Wrote:
(January 19, 2016 at 5:27 am)Mancunian Wrote: No, just tip your hat to them as you walk by quickly.

And kick them in the balls, if they're males. Cause religion sucks.

A fairly good idea (just check there are no witnesses) apart from the religious ones Smile
Given the nature of your job, your time should not be wasted on meaningless arguments with brainless adult-babies.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 19, 2016 at 5:34 am)Mancunian Wrote:
(January 19, 2016 at 5:30 am)Bella Morte Wrote: And kick them in the balls, if they're males. Cause religion sucks.

A fairly good idea (just check there are no witnesses) apart from the religious ones Smile

There are ways to eliminate witnesses. *nods*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4428 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19601 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Jehovah’s seem to be trying to get my 85 year old father into their cult hogwash 23 5944 July 24, 2015 at 12:38 am
Last Post: hogwash
  Should one approach dogmatists in the pulic space? ReptilianPeon 14 2923 April 7, 2015 at 6:34 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Duck Commander Phil Robertson Witnesses the Simple Truth HouseofSeed 2 2227 December 12, 2013 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Jehovah's Witness Protection Program freedomfromforum 31 6861 August 22, 2013 at 8:03 am
Last Post: gall
  Judge forces Jehovah's Witness parents to allow transfusion for daughter with cancer frankiej 3 2117 June 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Meeting with Jehovah's Witnesses next Sat PainfulButTrue 3 1751 May 20, 2012 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Phil