Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afghan Boy Play
Afghan Boy Play
This is the kind of shit that always seems to come back and bite us in the ass down the road.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/world/....html?_r=0
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Afghan Boy Play
Who says we're just looking out for our own interests in the Middle East?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
And people somehow still believe morality comes from God
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I'm tired of this "because it's their culture" argument faux-liberals love throwing around.

The boys who are victims of this, you think it's their culture too? These airheads act like these children are getting raped with broad smiles across their faces because "it's their culture". Come at me rapist, it's "our culture" so you can rape me and I'll love it.

This makes me so angry. Where's your fucking common sense?

I also find it very interesting that the rape of young boys (presumably by adult men) is acceptable, in the same "their culture" that topples brick walls on top of live adult gay men for having consensual gay sex with other adult men. Fuck this "culture", I'm done with it.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Afghanistan is going right down the shitter after Iraq.  Frankly, neither is a culture worth saving.
What do we think about the parallels to the Star Trek universe's "Prime Directive" ?

The planet where everyone reaching age 60 was executed, the planet of dopers and the parasitic planet supplying their dope, the proto-Vulcan culture that worshiped Picard, leading inhabitants of a doomed planet to a completely different planet via a holodeck cave simulation, (there are more) . . .

This cultural respect concept has been explored in fiction, how do we perceive it's applicability in real life ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Take the idea to the extreme, V.  Suppose we had a culture of cannibals?  Would we respect that?

Then suppose we had a culture of cannibals sitting on top of a shitload of oil.  Would our opinions differ?

(Think Saudi Arabia.)
Just remember culture makes it okay! Yay weasel stomping day!
My take on the first amendment (not shared by too many other people) does not preclude (willing) (members only) (beyond age of consent) human sacrifice in established sects and schisms that 'believe' in it.

And that would apply to cannibals too.

As a matter of record, cannibalism is noted in scripture as a punishment from God, so there is built in resistance to punishing it from a legal stand point. The surviving members of the Donner party (not all who survived, BTW, committed cannibalism) were not prosecuted.

IIRC, even Jeff Dahmer was prosecuted for murder, not eating his victims.

Hell, Alferd Packer has a cafeteria named after him in Wyoming somewhere . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

IIRC, Wild Boyz showed cannibalism on an episode, and there wasn't any FCC trouble. Andrew Zimmern was apparently leaning towards it in the infamous Madagascar circumcision episode. He didn't eat the 'anchovy', but my recollection is the man who did was televised doing so. And again, there was no FCC action, I don't even recall any reports of pulpit denouncements.

Bear Grylls rectally imbibed (in a distant wide angle shot) water contaminated with bird feces. I'm presuming that's 'worse' (somehow) and again, silence from all the leaders and shakers.

I'm not defending boy rape in Afghanistan, BTW, just exploring how it's perceived and why. The above citations seem to imply a variable and intermittent standard that is applied to such horrors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taliban warns US not to 'destabilise' new Afghan regime in face-to-face talks WinterHold 24 1602 October 12, 2021 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Russians wanted to play chicken? brewer 12 1225 June 9, 2019 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Turnabout is fair play Minimalist 0 238 July 21, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  11 year old boy develops device that could prevent hot car deaths Cecelia 6 1810 July 19, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Boy found dead in French street after parents 'punish him' account_inactive 26 4678 February 9, 2017 at 12:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Iraqi Diplomat's Sons Suspected of Attacking Boy in Portugal account_inactive 4 778 August 23, 2016 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: abaris
  43 year old man posed as 16 year old boy online to solicit nudes of his own daughter Ryantology 17 3435 March 29, 2016 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Atheist
  Pill boy smirks at Congressional hearing. Brian37 22 2139 February 5, 2016 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: vorlon13