Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great bible teachings!
Great bible teachings!
The bible is full of great moral stuff. I use it on a regular basis in order to live a good wholesome, righteous life.

Deuteronomy 22:28 "If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife."

Deuteronomy 21:10-13 When thou goest forth to battle against thine enemies, and Jehovah thy God delivereth them into thy hands, and thou carriest them away captive, and seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and thou hast a desire unto her, and wouldest take her to thee to wife; then thou shalt bring her home to thy house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; and she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thy house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.

Deuteronomy 23:1 He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Mathew 19:12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Deuteronomy 23:10 If there be among you any man, that is not clean by reason of uncleanness that chanceth him by night, then shall he go abroad out of the camp, he shall not come within the camp:

Deuteronomy 14:21 Do not eat anything you find already dead. You may give it to an alien living in any of your towns and he may eat it, or you may sell it to a foreigner

Proverbs 20:30 Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being.

Leviticus 25:44-46 Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Deuteronomy 25:11-12 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

1 Peter 2:18 Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

Exodus 21:7 If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do.

Exodus 21:17 Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.

Luke 6:29-30 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.

Luke 16:18 Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

John 12:25 The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

Romans 14:2 One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Yah, I'm in jail. Yes, I stoned my son. Yah, I let some guy cripple me and I gave him everything I had. Yes, I sold my daughter into slavery and unfortunately my wife did try to save me by grabbing the assailent's crotch so I cut off her hand and she died of blood loss... HOWEVER! I have followed the bible and my life is better then ever. Soon they'll fry me in the electric chair and I'll be rewarded with eternal bliss.

And don't none of you 'soft-christians' try telln me that the OT isn't valid anymore!

Mathew 5:18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

That includes that OT, bitches! ANd I'm the only one holey enough to have followed it. W00T!
Come my brethren and feast upon one another! (S)He who triumps and has eaten us all will be blessed with the knowledge of all those with whom (s)he has consumed!
RE: Great bible teachings!
Watson will be here shortly to claim that god never said any of this happy horseshit.

I think he reads exclusively from the gospel according to Watson!
I can't be bothered to read all of those rightnow, but funny enough Min, whhat you say is true! God would never say some of the things which are written in the Bible. What a novel concept! God isn't limited to what one book says about Him! Insane, I know.
(May 12, 2010 at 5:04 pm)Watson Wrote: I can't be bothered to read all of those rightnow, but funny enough Min, whhat you say is true! God would never say some of the things which are written in the Bible. What a novel concept! God isn't limited to what one book says about Him! Insane, I know.

This is the most predictable post ever.

Carry on picking those cherries, Watson.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
(May 12, 2010 at 5:04 pm)Watson Wrote: I can't be bothered to read all of those rightnow, but funny enough Min, whhat you say is true! God would never say some of the things which are written in the Bible. What a novel concept! God isn't limited to what one book says about Him! Insane, I know.

Take it up with the people who wrote your silly bible. I'm not interested in why your delusions are better than any others.

[Image: thebible.jpg]
Who are you callin' a "bitch"?

Yes, we know the Bible is filled with a lot of this kind of shit. Any other points you would like make here?
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
(May 12, 2010 at 7:13 pm)Rhage Wrote: Who are you callin' a "bitch"?

Yes, we know the Bible is filled with a lot of this kind of shit. Any other points you would like make here?

Yes, I would also like to point out that the bible says you'll go to Heaven, (defined as any place of complete bliss and delight and peace), which sounds awesome. I'd caught off my left hand to get me some of that. Hell, I'd set the world on fire and dive into lava if that was going to get me into Heaven. You people are crazy not to be as a zealous as me.

And what do you mean shit? Who are you, mere mortal man with your limited capacity for knowledge, to judge that the writings of my perfect, omnipotent father are immoral? Do you think you're God!? Is that what you think? Surely, you must be a follower of Satain. *Starts dancing around speaking in tongue*
Come my brethren and feast upon one another! (S)He who triumps and has eaten us all will be blessed with the knowledge of all those with whom (s)he has consumed!
I think my irony meter blew up.

Firstly a Christian who wholly rejects the old testament is not following a life in Christ. Jesus readily and frequently quoted old testament verses and laws, and used the stories in his parables and in answers to questions. That last verse in Matthew I believe was actually from Jesus' mouth.

It also says

I know atheists love to pretend the Bible doesn't teach us to think about the laws and justify them with our own inner morals but

So clearly just accpeting the law and doing it is folly and the blind leading the blind. The fact that Jesus quote stories from the OT doesn't mean he felt they were literally real in every case, simply that they were good moralistic references for his parables. To take them literally with no thought or without a check of what's in your heart is unreasonable and not according to the doctrine the way to use the tool we call a Bible. Obviously a lot of atheists have read the Bible at least in part and have said, "that makes no sense and is BS" and according to scripture , your questioning of the word is necessary and what most (if not all) Chrsitian should also do. [/rant/preach/quotefest]
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(May 13, 2010 at 10:13 am)tackattack Wrote: I think my irony meter blew up.

Firstly a Christian who wholly rejects the old testament is not following a life in Christ. Jesus readily and frequently quoted old testament verses and laws, and used the stories in his parables and in answers to questions. That last verse in Matthew I believe was actually from Jesus' mouth.

It also says

I know atheists love to pretend the Bible doesn't teach us to think about the laws and justify them with our own inner morals but

So clearly just accpeting the law and doing it is folly and the blind leading the blind. The fact that Jesus quote stories from the OT doesn't mean he felt they were literally real in every case, simply that they were good moralistic references for his parables. To take them literally with no thought or without a check of what's in your heart is unreasonable and not according to the doctrine the way to use the tool we call a Bible. Obviously a lot of atheists have read the Bible at least in part and have said, "that makes no sense and is BS" and according to scripture , your questioning of the word is necessary and what most (if not all) Chrsitian should also do. [/rant/preach/quotefest]

Oh, so true! We can't just accept law, that's insane. We have to meditate and ponder it and question everything if we are to find enlightenment.

For instance, when the law teaches me that a rapist must marry his victim and pay her father some money I don't just outright accept it. I ponder it and meditate it. I often times take the bible with me to my cave out back and will ponder things for days without food.

Atheists cry, 'Oh no! That's not fair. The victim shouldn't marry the raper. That's just cruel. God and his bible must be nonsense.' But, wait. Behold, let us ponder the premise. In those times no one would want a raped woman, because she was 'unclean'. God, in his infinite wisdom does not remove humanity's repugnance of raped women. He cannot violate our free will that way! Furthermore, a woman in those times required a man if she was to survive. No woman could live on her own, because the society in those times would not accept a woman trying to live without a man. God, in his infinite wisdom deemed that it was better not to teach humanity that women were in many cases par with men and perfectly capable of sustaining themselves if only they were educated the way men were.

Therefore, he establishes a law so that the woman is provided with a means of survival despite her percieved uncleansliness. The woman may have some psychological trauma after the rape which may or may not get amplified by the fact that she is forced to live with her attacker, or the woman may also have a lover who is not phased by her uncleansliness, or the woman may even be quite adaptable and willing to live alone in the mountains, but, God in his infinite wisdom has deemed that the woman must marry the attacker. Oh, Praise Jesus!!!

Yah, God could've just beamed the rapist to another universe, yah God could've wiped the memories of the victim OR dealt with her psychological trauma, (with her consent of course). Sure, God could have made man without the desire to rape, but then my one thing my careful pondering and meditation has taught me is that God must simply be too perfect and all-knowing for me to grasp the methods with which he utilizes his wonderous powers.
obviously this isn't intent on productive discussion. /out
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44103 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Constantine the Great Der/die AtheistIn 14 4488 July 3, 2017 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13367 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  God: The Great Tempter Rhondazvous 146 17606 March 5, 2016 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  I have a question about the Great Flood ApeNotKillApe 32 7130 September 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7446 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Catholicism: "Our Teachings have never changed" claim Vox 21 4829 June 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Strongbad
Wink A great day for the church... StuW 0 1290 January 18, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: StuW
  Bible Teachings or Traditions of Men? Alter2Ego 35 11925 July 13, 2013 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Regens Küchl
  2010 was a great year SHIN KAIRI 4 3036 March 31, 2013 at 6:09 am
Last Post: Violet