Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God: The Great Tempter
God: The Great Tempter
”James 1:13” Wrote:Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

”Jesus, Matthew 6:13” Wrote:And lead us not into temptation

Why does Jesus tell us to pray for god not to do something he doesn’t do anyway?

Christian apology for this part of the so-called Lord’s Prayer appears to be a reference to James, a fiat insistence that god does not tempt people. And a redefinition/dismissal of the word “lead.”

Somehow or nother, Christians have convinced themselves that there is a difference between tempting someone and leading them into temptation. One apologist even went so far as to say that what the verse is really saying is to ask god to lead us away from temptation. This reinterpretation of the word “into” to really mean “away from” is classic Christian obfuscation in defense of the indefensible.

Christians want to have it both ways. They want their god to be in control of everything, but they don’t want to make him responsible for anything. Wherever the bible shows god doing something reprehensible, the Church places the blame on humans, even for things over which we have no control.
Doesn’t asking god not to do something imply that we have control over what he does? And if we have no control over this immutable god, why ask?

Christians can only throw away their brains and insist that we just obey.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: God: The Great Tempter
"I'm going to give you a carefully reasoned argument which explains why you should abandon all reason."
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
DON'T BE SMART IT'S DUMB TO BE SMART.

I PROMISE YOU WILL HAVE A COOKIE IF YOU STOP BEING SMART

After you die you can haz cookie.
Here's a little video about the kind of temptations Jesus faced from god in a Satan mask Satan:

http://youtu.be/Mj2NXYEAEFY
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I always thought it meant to lead us away from temptation. Remember we're translating Greek and they didn't always put things exactly as we do in English.
Leading someone into temptation. Sure, he puts the tree where you can reach it. he just doesn't put it in your hands. Of course he'll kill you for stepping out of line, and his followers will do their best to convince you it's only your fault.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 21, 2016 at 8:56 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Leading someone into temptation. Sure, he puts the tree where you can reach it. he just doesn't put it in your hands. Of course he'll kill you for stepping out of line, and his followers will do their best to convince you it's only your fault.

Actually, that's not true. He doesn't kill us for stepping out of line. He leads us to his son, who has paid the penalty for us stepping out of line.
(February 21, 2016 at 8:46 pm)Lek Wrote: I always thought it meant to lead us away from temptation.  Remember we're translating Greek and they didn't always put things exactly as we do in English.

Brilliant. I guess I can see how a word that means "away from" can be mistranslated as "into." Thanks.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(February 21, 2016 at 9:14 pm)Lek Wrote:
(February 21, 2016 at 8:56 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Leading someone into temptation. Sure, he puts the tree where you can reach it. he just doesn't put it in your hands. Of course he'll kill you for stepping out of line, and his followers will do their best to convince you it's only your fault.

Actually, that's not true.  He doesn't kill us for stepping out of line.  He leads us to his son, who has paid the penalty for us stepping out of line.

And that's supposed to be better? Either way his idea of a solution to a problem is something dying.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 21, 2016 at 9:20 pm)Chad32 Wrote:
(February 21, 2016 at 9:14 pm)Lek Wrote: Actually, that's not true.  He doesn't kill us for stepping out of line.  He leads us to his son, who has paid the penalty for us stepping out of line.

And that's supposed to be better? Either way his idea of a solution to a problem is something dying.

I think it's good that Jesus died to take care of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Constantine the Great Der/die AtheistIn 14 4488 July 3, 2017 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13369 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  I have a question about the Great Flood ApeNotKillApe 32 7131 September 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
Wink A great day for the church... StuW 0 1292 January 18, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: StuW
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12438 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  2010 was a great year SHIN KAIRI 4 3036 March 31, 2013 at 6:09 am
Last Post: Violet
  God is the great spirit friend jstrodel 320 101366 March 29, 2013 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God is the great spirit Killer. Cinjin 5 3843 March 23, 2013 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  The Great Virgin Mother Isis - Ancient Mythology is not a Cheeseburger michaelsherlock 13 7760 June 12, 2012 at 8:29 am
Last Post: michaelsherlock
  Great news for everyone Saved 120 46537 March 20, 2012 at 4:54 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist