Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constantine the Great
Constantine the Great
Let's talk about this guy. He's the one that made Christianity the official roman religion. Before he became a christian, he persecuted christians, then he persecuted people of other beliefes. The church sees him and his mom as saints, but I'm sure they were the exact opposite of that.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Constantine the Great
Actually, Constantine was pretty tolerant of Christianity before his professed conversion, and treated other religions with the same soft touch after it. (His father was the one known as 'The Great Prosecutor.'). Granted, a few of his edicts weren't particularly helpful to Jews in the empire, but even there he is acknowledged to have been less harsh than some of his predecessors.

A lot of people today seem to have the impression that, once Constantine publicly announced his conversion, the empire converted right along with him. In actuality, the empire at the time of his death was probably about 5% Christian, while the legions (what was left of them, anyroad) were likely never more than about 2%.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Well Constantine did not make Christianity the official state religion of Rome. Constantine was pagan being even Pontifex Maximus and even coins depicted him as the sun god Sol Invictus. He did elevate Christianity but it still didn't flourish until century later. So why did he do it? It had everything an aspiring totalitarian emperor could want. A church that demanded absolute and unquestioning obedience. Also to weaken pagan temples and take their money.
But like I said he was pagan and equated Jesus with the sun god Sol Invictus. That's why Jesus birthday was set on Dec. 25th because Constantine openly conflated Sol Invictus and Christ Jesus and that was the same day as the sun god’s.

Myths by Eusebius

Yes our famous Eusebious that invented many Christian fairy tales including testimonium flavium. Well he also invented that Constantine converted to Christianity in the year 312 by a battlefield vision of the cross and yet you’d never know it from his massive triumphal arch commemorating that battle. It only depicts the usual pagan tropes, and gives thanks for the victory to Sol Invictus in his solar chariot. Also only Eusebius claims that Constantine’s mother Helena went to the Holy Land and found the cross.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Constantine merely 'legitimized' Christianity, the real damage was done by Theodosius who banned all pagan worship. Without Theodosius Christianity wouldn't be the abomination that is it today, it would have evaporated just like the many other small cult religions at the time.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(July 3, 2017 at 7:00 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Well Constantine did not make Christianity the official state religion of Rome. Constantine was pagan being even Pontifex Maximus and even coins depicted him as the sun god Sol Invictus. He did elevate Christianity but it still didn't flourish until century later. So why did he do it? It had everything an aspiring totalitarian emperor could want. A church that demanded absolute and unquestioning obedience. Also to weaken pagan temples and take their money.
But like I said he was pagan and equated Jesus with the sun god Sol Invictus. That's why Jesus birthday was set on Dec. 25th because Constantine openly conflated Sol Invictus and Christ Jesus and that was the same day as the sun god’s.

Myths by Eusebius

Yes our famous Eusebious that invented many Christian fairy tales including testimonium flavium. Well he also invented that Constantine converted to Christianity in the year 312 by a battlefield vision of the cross and yet you’d never know it from his massive triumphal arch commemorating that battle. It only depicts the usual pagan tropes, and gives thanks for the victory to Sol Invictus in his solar chariot. Also only Eusebius claims that Constantine’s mother Helena went to the Holy Land and found the cross.
Really? I didn't know it, thank you for explaining it to me.

(July 3, 2017 at 7:09 am)Succubus Wrote: Constantine merely 'legitimized' Christianity, the real damage was done by Theodosius who banned all pagan worship. Without Theodosius Christianity wouldn't be the abomination that is it today, it would have evaporated just like the many other small cult religions at the time.
I think I learned what I knew about Constantine in religion class. I guess I still haved some marks left by religion.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
(July 3, 2017 at 8:10 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I think I learned what I knew about Constantine in religion class. I guess I still have some marks left by religion.

As do so many others, this is the power of priest craft. According to all the latest polls, Christianity is dieing on it's arse, but the poison still lingers in peoples psyche.  Christianity is the biggest disaster in human history.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(July 3, 2017 at 9:19 am)Succubus Wrote:
(July 3, 2017 at 8:10 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I think I learned what I knew about Constantine in religion class. I guess I still have some marks left by religion.

As do so many others, this is the power of priest craft. According to all the latest polls, Christianity is dieing on it's arse, but the poison still lingers in peoples psyche.  Christianity is the biggest disaster in human history.

You can't fault the Islamites for feeling competitive though, and they might yet win the coveted Silver Sow Award for that . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It was a power consolidation move that couldn't really hurt him.

He couldn't have been that great or they wouldn't have changed the name.

I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Well I'm sort of hoping that once Christianity is viewed as the mother of all fuck-ups, then maybe the Muslims will wise up. I'm also pretty confident I'll be accosted by a 24 year old medium titty'd blond tonight.
(July 3, 2017 at 9:39 am)Succubus Wrote: Well I'm sort of hoping that once Christianity is viewed as the mother of all fuck-ups, then maybe the Muslims will wise up. I'm also pretty confident I'll be accosted by a 24 year old medium titty'd blond tonight.

Well, it has been the driving motivation behind most of the best genocides. Fucking Albigensian scum.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Constantine likely saw. Jehanne 19 2678 January 3, 2018 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13337 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  God: The Great Tempter Rhondazvous 146 17589 March 5, 2016 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  I have a question about the Great Flood ApeNotKillApe 32 7124 September 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
Wink A great day for the church... StuW 0 1289 January 18, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: StuW
  2010 was a great year SHIN KAIRI 4 3035 March 31, 2013 at 6:09 am
Last Post: Violet
  God is the great spirit friend jstrodel 320 101259 March 29, 2013 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God is the great spirit Killer. Cinjin 5 3843 March 23, 2013 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  The Great Virgin Mother Isis - Ancient Mythology is not a Cheeseburger michaelsherlock 13 7759 June 12, 2012 at 8:29 am
Last Post: michaelsherlock
  Great news for everyone Saved 120 46509 March 20, 2012 at 4:54 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist