Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#hisnameiscayden (black child mocked on FB)
#hisnameiscayden (black child mocked on FB)
http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/30427294-story

ETA: (sorry, misstroke caused this to go through without any context)

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/30427294-story
http://womanista.com/2015/10/06/man-gets...rkers-3-y/
ATLANTA - A swirl of controversy over a Facebook post and its accompanying racially-charged comments have led to an Atlanta man's job termination.

Gerod Roth, who is white, was fired from the Polaris Marketing Group in Atlanta last week after posting a picture with his co-worker's African-American child to the social media site. Roth's Facebook friends made insulting and racist remarks to the picture that has since gone viral.

“I just really feel upset, not only with myself, but also the character that was based off the comments that my friends had made. Cayden has been victimized but I have been targeted,” Roth said.

Photo Georgia Man Loses Job, Upsets Mother after Facebook Post
The post has since been deleted from Facebook. But Sydney Shelton, the mother of 3-year-old Cayden Jenkins, said she was broken-hearted to see people calling her child “Kunta Kinte” and saying they didn't know Roth was a “slave owner.” Shelton is a single mother and brings Cayden to her job after school. She told FOX 5 she was unaware that Roth took a picture with her son.

ETA: I'm pretty glad he's gone, but I'm not completely clear as to why, yet.

Did he post anything racist on his own, or was is entirely his FB friends? I don't even know 90% of my FB friends in person. They are there for gaming partnerships. That's how many FB games work. But then, I can delete said friends at any time. So....I just don't know.

Somebody in comments posted about taking a pic with a minor who isn't his own kid. I'm sure pst a point that can be a liability. But a friends' kid? Maybe this woman never returned his friendship. I've had that happen quite bit.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: #hisnameiscayden (black child mocked on FB)
How absolutely awful, he should be sorry - something like that is never funny and only cruel and racist.
This is more than just posting a picture to FB. He and all posters appear to be racists. Appears they may all be running for cover.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I don't understand why the guy who posted the picture is being called a racist. He didn't say anything racist; it was all his FB friends doing it.

I really don't get why we was fired either. Sure, he took a picture with a friend's kid and posted it publicly, but that, in and of itself, shouldn't be a big deal. Why is he being accused of racism and fired? Why didn't the mom just ask him to take the picture down? I think everyone is being far too sensitive here. Even if the guy is a racist, there's nothing indicating that in the story.

It looks to me like the company lets employees bring their kids to work, and it gets annoying, so the guy posted a picture to illustrate that, which is backed up by his one comment (not racist, IMO): "he was feral".
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Well, well - posting random sh*t on Facebook bit someone on the a**e. Good.

Personally - I've stayed away from FB since I realized it's a cross between classholes.com and a slide show of somebody's holiday pictures. This fad can't die out too quickly, as far as I'm concerned.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize all he did was post a picture. Obviously that's ridiculous to accuse him of racism and fire him for that. That makes no sense.

I wonder what his motives actually were.
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure why calling the kid "Kunta Kinte" is offensive. I've seen Roots, and, for his situation (a slave trying to stay alive in a horrific situation thousands of miles from one's family), Kunta Kinte was pretty badass. It could be the whole renaming thing is a very sensitive issue with the black community.

Also, I've heard of similar situations to this, where pedophiles go through parents' Facebook albums, post pictures of kids they find attractive to other websites, and post lewd comments about them. That is simply disturbing, but posting racist comments on what is meant to be a simple photo on Facebook (and on the original post, no less) is 31 flavors of disgusting.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 6, 2015 at 11:37 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Honestly, I'm not entirely sure why calling the kid "Kunta Kinte" is offensive. I've seen Roots, and, for his situation (a slave trying to stay alive in a horrific situation thousands of miles from one's family), Kunta Kinte was pretty badass. It could be the whole renaming thing is a very sensitive issue with the black community.

I can imagine it might have something to do with the association to black slavery. Would you like to be reminded at every turn "people that looked like me used to own people that look like you"?

I can't fully grasp how a black person feels about that, but I imagine if I were in their shoes, I'd be pretty fucking honked off about it.
OK, consider the article the story of the day. The dummy did something at work that got him fired. So the question is are you smart enough to learn from his experience or will you do the same thing and get fired as well?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Head of WHO plays the "Race Card." Can you guess if he's black looking? Duty 9 692 April 14, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 3901 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Black Serial Killers Foxaèr 10 941 November 29, 2021 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: T.J.
  100th Aniversery of the Black Wall Street Masacre. Brian37 8 533 May 28, 2021 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Louisiana cemetery 'sorry' after denying officer burial 'because he is black' zebo-the-fat 25 1483 January 31, 2021 at 1:36 pm
  Black female Dr. dies of covid. Treatment in question. brewer 2 422 December 30, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Netflix and "Cuties" = child pron? Foxaèr 37 4220 November 30, 2020 at 5:01 am
  Blexit Campaign - Black Exit from the US Democratic Party Duty 154 8527 November 8, 2020 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Armed Black Protesters March Through Confederate Park The Architect Of Fate 26 1572 July 16, 2020 at 11:46 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  black people 450 years a slave?!!? Drich 77 6736 June 13, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist