Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snapshot memories - a question to all of you
Snapshot memories - a question to all of you
I've got this thing, usually associated with songs. A song triggers something like a memory photograph of a single instance of my life. Just to give one example. A Harpo song called Horoscope triggers that picture of June 1979, sitting in my fathers car and reflecting on the first girl I really fell in love with.

These aren't even songs I particularly care about, they're just memory shooters. Does anyone else have these?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Snapshot memories - a question to all of you
Not exactly pictures, but sparks of my memory come back triggered by smells, pictures, music etc. Just a general feel of the past, everything comes back in an instant, but before I know it, it's all gone, despite how desperately I wish to bring it back.

Um. That was depressing. Sorry. But yeah, I get something like what you're talking about sometimes.
Yep.  Actually, I think that most sensory input can trigger memories, if there was an emotional connection.  We associate a lot of songs with life incidents and relationships though.  My favorite association with a song is Paul Simon's "Slip Sliding Away" - - a friend and I were desperately trying to get safely home during an ice storm, when just keeping the car on the road was a huge challenge, and some witty DJ put that song on the radio.  We actually laughed so hard that we had to stop for a moment.  It was a great stress break, and every time I hear that song I chuckle.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
I get them but not so much with songs/auditory. Mine come with visuals. See a face the reminds me of a person or place. See a car or bike that takes me back. Any time I see a lake or river. Never quite know what will trigger them.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You know, the reason why I'm asking is, these instances of my life seem pretty, but not at all memorable. I see virtually no reason, my memory has taken a picture of them.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Why do you need to figure it out? Just enjoy it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 10, 2015 at 12:45 pm)abaris Wrote: You know, the reason why I'm asking is, these instances of my life seem pretty, but not at all memorable. I see virtually no reason, my memory has taken a picture of them.

Maybe those instances hold more significance then you realize. The memory you recalled in the OP could be considered a milestone to some degree...pondering your first experiences with feelings of romantic love.

Falling in love, especially for the first time is a big deal...so I've heard. Smile
(October 10, 2015 at 12:22 pm)abaris Wrote: I've got this thing, usually associated with songs. A song triggers something like a memory photograph of a single instance of my life. Just to give one example. A Harpo song called Horoscope triggers that picture of June 1979, sitting in my fathers car and reflecting on the first girl I really fell in love with.

These aren't even songs I particularly care about, they're just memory shooters. Does anyone else have these?

My very first "real" kiss was to the Richard Marx song "Right Here Waiting", at a Christian summer camp, when I was 13. 

I still think of Cherisha when I hear it.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

My first kiss, in the baseball dugout behind the high school, this was on my transistor radio:

Memories are built on associations. I love this song in part because of its significance to me.

Jaysus, I thought I was the only one.

EVERY song triggers a memory picture for me. It works the other way as well - common actions always make me think of songs: Shaving makes me think of 'Nothing Compares To You', putting on my shoes brings up 'Going Back To Houston', playing with our cats triggers 'Jumpin' Jack Flash'.

I don't doubt that this is because my entire professional life has been music related.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about all these questions popping up. no one 6 655 September 22, 2020 at 12:26 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  For All You Word Lovers: You Gotta Adore This One: Copacetic Rhondazvous 17 2220 December 20, 2017 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Question to all Americans: why do you refer to vehicles and ships as "she"? rado84 38 5737 July 15, 2015 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 8696 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  The most important question of all... Clueless Morgan 16 2796 April 3, 2014 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Memories Zazzy 22 2459 December 2, 2013 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  You think you guys can help me out with a paper (of all religions/non-religion)? Annik 7 2615 August 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 17268 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan