Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:01 pm

Poll: Is the question "What shall we talk about?" and its variants ever helpful or useful?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
44.44%
4 44.44%
No.
55.56%
5 55.56%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The "What do you want to talk about?" question.
The "What do you want to talk about?" question.
The question... "What do you want to talk about?" and its variants "What shall we talk about?" "What would you like to talk about?" "What do you enjoy talking about?", etc--

--is that question ever helpful or useful or non-awkard? Ever? And if it is... when is it? And if it never is, why not?

What are your thoughts on the matter, folks?

Obviously this question is to both theists and atheists, everyone welcome to answer. Smile
RE: The "What do you want to talk about?" question.
(September 2, 2016 at 3:07 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: The question... "What do you want to talk about?" and it's variants "What shall we talk about?" "What would you like to talk about?" "What do you enjoy talking about?", etc--

--is that question every helpful or useful or non-awkard? Ever? And if it is... when is it? And if it never is, why not?

Obviously this question is to both theists and atheists, everyone welcome to answer. Smile

I think it's useful, though in my experience (American South) it tends to come in the form of questions like, "What are your interests/hobbies/favorite tv and music," etc.
A Gemma is forever.
(September 2, 2016 at 3:07 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: The question... "What do you want to talk about?" and it's variants "What shall we talk about?" "What would you like to talk about?" "What do you enjoy talking about?", etc--

--is that question every helpful or useful or non-awkard? Ever? And if it is... when is it? And if it never is, why not?

No harm to make small talk now ain't it?

It's only useful if you enjoy awkward silences.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
"What do you like to talk about when you're not responding to this question with an awkward silence?"
What's the best awkward silence you've ever endured?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Depends on context. The last time I asked it, she told me it was over.

Let's just talk about this thread. I'm enjoying it. 

Of course maybe the conversation about this thread needs another thread seperate from this. Dunno.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
If it is about ABBA, I am all in, otherwise it depends.
If two people just connect it doesn't matter what you talk about, the discussion will naturally gravitate towards something interesting for both parties. If not, well, that's just life, you try anyway. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 790 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do people just naturally want conflict Ahriman 113 3757 September 26, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why does everyone want to advertise in their signature? Foxaèr 2 338 September 14, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 803 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 650 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are you the monster you want to be? Angrboda 48 2468 January 13, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The queen doesn't half talk some shit Cod 11 2065 December 26, 2018 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I want a nanny! ignoramus 2 416 November 14, 2018 at 7:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2245 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1160 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda