Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 7:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new furry baby, Smokey.
My new furry baby, Smokey.
More than two years ago we lost our first ever male dog Fletcher, an Aussie, to old age.  About a year ago, I found a wonderful heeler or heeler cross we named Buddy.  Sadly when my brother told me he was afraid for his kids around him -and after he bit through a new truck tire and a friend's leg- I decided his issues would have to be dealt with by someone else.

So now that I'm retired I have once more brought a little boy into the house, this time a real pup.  Smokey is a couple days shy of 11 weeks old tonight.  He is the deliberate cross of a aussie and a heeler (Australian Shepherd and Australian Cattle Dog) .. what my older dog Heidi Rose is too, most likely.  

Here he is on his first day in Berkeley.

[Image: 22061931271_1d0dc05cc1_o.jpg]

Unfortunately, all did not go well.  After tolerating the boy all day something happened which led to her breaking his jaw.  As I called my brother, Heidi trotted off around a bend in the garden and he galloped after.  Almost immediately he let out the universal puppy distress call.  I came around the corner to find her over him, as he continued to scream.  A quick trip to the local emergency hospital was inconclusive as they didn't have dental quality X-ray equipment.  The next day I drove him up to the U.C. Davis Veterinarian Hospital.  They took the x-rays, did lots of other testing and extracted a broken molar.  I picked him up two days later outfitted like this as he shall remain for a month.

[Image: 21587187014_a195aae2d3_o.jpg]

RE: My new furry baby, Smokey.
Awwwwww.

Gorgeous
Dying to live, living to die.
He's beautiful, W'ist! How's Heidi doing with him now? Is she feeling sufficiently guilty? I hope they'll be able to live together peacefully.

I remember years ago, my lab sort of aided and abetted another dog in an attack on my cat; once the cat got home from the vet, the dog felt like crap and treated her really well for the rest of her years.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Okay, that's a damned cute puppy, even with his jaw-cast on.

Those are a great pair of dogs to breed together. If I get a dog, it'll likely be one like that. Good choice!

I hope things go better from now on. Undecided
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

He's so precious!

Did I read that right, Heidi caused him to break his jaw? Poor pup Sad Do you think they will be able to live together?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I demand to snuggle the furry creature!!
(October 16, 2015 at 1:05 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: He's beautiful, W'ist! How's Heidi doing with him now? Is she feeling sufficiently guilty? I hope they'll be able to live together peacefully.

I remember years ago, my lab sort of aided and abetted another dog in an attack on my cat; once the cat got home from the vet, the dog felt like crap and treated her really well for the rest of her years.

I have no doubt Heidi is sorry to have made me so unhappy with her.  She does okay with other people's dogs.  But she more tolerates them in order to get attention/treats from their people.  I got her when she was just over a year old.  She had lived for months  in a large chicken wire enclosure with a bunch of other dogs at the rescue I got her from.  She mostly takes crap from other dogs as long as she can if she can't get away, until she gets pushed over the edge.  Then you don't want to be that dog.  I'm sure Smokey was playing as rough as a 10 week old puppy can.  

I don't intend to trust her on her own with him until he is about a year old and closer to her size.
Omg whatevs. He's the cutest ever!!! Awww Heart
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(October 16, 2015 at 1:35 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Okay, that's a damned cute puppy, even with his jaw-cast on.

Those are a great pair of dogs to breed together. If I get a dog, it'll likely be one like that. Good choice!

I hope things go better from now on. Undecided

Me too but I don't intend to leave much to chance.
(October 16, 2015 at 2:48 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: I demand to snuggle the furry creature!!

What he really likes right now is to put both your hands into the cone so he can rub his face in your hands.  I think he must really feel itchy from it.  

Rob, they'll definitely learn to get along.  The first time he saw her after his two nights in the hospital he sounded the alarm.  But since then he pursues her at times and pushes his cone into her.  It'll get better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baby pictures/Videos ect..... Brian37 12 863 December 7, 2018 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Awesome names for baby boys and baby girls ErGingerbreadMandude 37 3636 February 14, 2018 at 2:40 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  BABY ON BOARD signs Bahana 97 10886 October 13, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Where things stand (baby news update from the geneticist) Catholic_Lady 17 2939 December 10, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Baby's First Hurricane rexbeccarox 35 3256 October 7, 2016 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  baby boy name. vote your fav! Catholic_Lady 94 7975 July 16, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: rado84
  saw my baby graduate Joods 28 2316 June 10, 2016 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Girls: Beard or Baby face? ErGingerbreadMandude 90 9371 May 5, 2016 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  My new furry baby, Smokey. Whateverist 0 577 October 16, 2015 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  My "anchor baby" neighbors Brian37 0 745 August 24, 2015 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Brian37