Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 12:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friend deleted me after 2 years because i'm atheist
Friend deleted me after 2 years because i'm atheist
My friend that i've known for 2 years just cut all communication with me after finding out i'm an atheist. On so many occasions we have argued, and every single time he just says "i'm right because i'm right", we argued about esports betting, and stuff involving counter-strike(which is where i met him), we did it for fun but somewhere along the line I stopped having fun. I got sick of him ignoring my logical arguments that I spent time on and saying "You're fucking stupid" never giving any reason to his logic. I didn't hate him, but I just didn't like how he argued. So many times, and i mean so many times I typed these long things to him explaining why he was wrong IN DETAIL so he could understand it, but he just insisted on not trying to understand anything else but what he said. He was one of my only friends though.

Last night I was having a personal conversation with him and I said this exactly "I'm an atheist, and this is probably why we might disagree on what our life goals are, but i dont think my different view should effect our relationship or mean anything". He agreed at first, and we continued the conversation. 30 minutes ago though, he was arguing that "Marijuana isn't bad for you, and scientists proved it". I said very specifically "Yes they proved there aren't any long term effects, but that doesn't mean it's not bad for you, obviously it worsens your memory and focus, along with motivation". Instead of conceding my obviously right point(this is what he does basically every time, trust me there have been a lot of times, like almost every day for two years we have argued about something), he can't stand to admit he's wrong, he just replied "No you're fucking stupid kid. Most retarded thing i've ever heard in my life". I guess all this time I always thought that maybe if i explained my points(about anything remember, we argued about random stuff) maybe he would accept them. Nope. Not once did he ever consider my point of view, or admit he was wrong. No exaggeration. 

This time however, he did something I didn't expect. After cursing at me and ignoring my point, he said "I bet you're one of those people who argues against God on atheist websites rofl". This set me the fuck off. You have to realize that I told him that after being nervous, knowing he was a christian, but also one of my best friends. I might be acting like he was the devil incarnate, but we defnitely had good times. This remark tipped me over the limit. I wrote almost an essay response to him. I told him how incredibly intolerant, ignorant, and arrogant he was. I listed out everything that he was wrong, how he would cry and crawl up in a corner any time someone brought logic in to the equation, and how he would instantly start cussing me out any time I said he was wrong. He removed me from everything, steam, skype, phone, everything. Blocked me on everything he could, even blocked my number.

I am so fed up with religion. Maybe religion is not inherently what caused this, but it's definitely the foundation for the way he thinks.
DO YOU SEE WHY RELIGION HAS A NEGATIVE OUTCOME? BECAUSE PEOPLE START REFUSING TO ACCEPT LOGIC, AND CONVINCE THEMSELVES THEY ARE RIGHT. IT'S THE REASON THAT ONE OUT OF MY ONLY TWO FRIENDS ONLINE REMOVED ME FROM HIS LIFE. I WOULDN'T SAY SOMETHING THIS PERSONAL BUT WHO CARES AT THIS POINT. I HAVE LITERALLY NO CLOSE FRIENDS IRL. HE IS ONE OF THE ONLY CLOSE FRIENDS I HAD. STILL THINK RELIGION ISN'T HARMFUL? TELL THAT TO HIM AND ALL THE PEOPLE LIKE HIM WHO RUN FROM LOGIC BECAUSE OF IT.
RE: Friend deleted me after 2 years because i'm atheist
If he can't see past a basic petty difference then he was never truly a friend.
Dying to live, living to die.
Actually he sounds like an asshole.  Good riddance.
You met him playing counter-strike dude. Come on, were you really expecting him to be a post-grad?
To be fair to him though, permanent harm to your reactions and focus only occurs if you smoke copious amounts everyday.
Anyway, sorry that happened. A more co-op orientated game might introduce you to more cerebral people.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
It may be possible that religion and atheism had less to do with this blow up than you think.
It sounds like this guy was one of those people who has to be right all of the time. He could just be a garden-variety asshole that likes belittling people; including those he calls friends. He might have dropped/deleted you due to the simple fact that you finally told him off.

Bullies hate that sort of move.
(October 16, 2015 at 1:21 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: You met him playing counter-strike dude. Come on, were you really expecting him to be a post-grad?
To be fair to him though, permanent harm to your reactions and focus only occurs if you smoke copious amounts everyday.
Anyway, sorry that happened. A more co-op orientated game might introduce you to more cerebral people.
I said temporary in the actual message. Never even said permenant.
(October 16, 2015 at 1:15 am)Beccs Wrote: If he can't see past a basic petty difference then he was never truly a friend.
Pretty hard to see it that way with a person you've talked to for 2 years every day
I had a boss that I talked to everyday for twelve years.  He was a fuckhead the whole time and I never considered him a friend.
Erm, ok... Doesn't exactly sound like much of a loss? Tongue
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm sorry you lost a friend over this Sad
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ten Short Years Foxaèr 6 693 March 15, 2023 at 11:29 am
Last Post: brewer
  What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? arewethereyet 31 1999 June 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  US China war 70 years later Apollo 10 698 December 14, 2020 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  Anyone else have that "weird" friend? Atomic Lava 31 2492 November 28, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I love my after Christmas Kroger points popeyespappy 3 382 January 4, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Most memorable New Years onlinebiker 8 497 January 1, 2019 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Because I love cheese Losty 116 8184 November 27, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Losty
  45 years later, at a sports bar....... Brian37 4 420 September 10, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  It's a small world after all. Brian37 8 1511 June 6, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  How do you imagine the world millions of years from now? Macoleco 34 3466 April 15, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Macoleco