Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more Million Dollar Challenge for paranormal proof
No more Million Dollar Challenge for paranormal proof
Few days ago I was checking this out and it turns out as of January this year James Randi Million Dollar Challenge has been terminated since Randi has retired. Instead they're giving grants as of 2016 to "to non-profit groups that we believe are promoting activities that encourage critical thinking and a fact-based world view"

I don't know if this is better idea.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: No more Million Dollar Challenge for paranormal proof
They were probably tired of testing whack-jobs. The people they were after - the notorious cynical frauds - wouldn't take the bait, after they realized they couldn't cheat their way through the process. Especially that for many of them a million dollars is chump-change.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Hmm interesting, thanks.

I think it's gone on way long enough to make its point. All those wooists out there have had ample opportunity for fame and validation and passed it up. The fact that not one got anywhere near demonstrating they aren't just conmen is plenty good evidence for the time being.

I hope these new endeavours work out well. I'm sure the J Rand knows what he's doing!

All hail Randi!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Yea I don't blame them, conspiracy bullshit has been around forever, and it will not go away completely. I think Randi sees the growing number of skeptics, like Heffner adapting to the changing market.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have any paranormal experineces? EgoDeath 114 10558 October 8, 2019 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Cod
  Paranormal TV Shows Are Bollucks Amarok 16 5106 September 15, 2017 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Javaman
  Can you still be an atheist if you believe in the paranormal? Regina 28 7706 February 14, 2015 at 1:36 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Paranormal Death or Ritualistic Murder"? Mudhammam 10 3240 January 6, 2015 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  James Randi challenge beaten robvalue 40 32239 December 17, 2014 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Hey, Assbutt! - A discussion about the paranormal side of things shiver23 24 10453 October 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13