Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
I suppose any theist who has read this part of the forum has to chuckle at how terrible atheist critiques of theism are.

But when the laughter dies down, you're left with a troubling realization: There actually is a huge pool of people on this planet who call themselves atheists and post on the internet, but are less familiar with theism than toddlers with the inside of a quantum mechanics textbook.

Where does one go for actually informed atheistic critiques of religion? I'm feeling my brain atrophy after reading some of the threads here.
RE: Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
Oh, why don't you tell us all about your fucking fairy tales.  I'm sure it will be good for a few laughs.
Can't really comment unless you link to some specifics. What exactly do you find lacking?

Second question. How informed do you think one should be to refute claims of magic and invisible wizards?
Have you considered the possibility that what you perceive as lack of substance in the criticism is actually lack of substance of the ideas which are being criticised?
You would like for there to be a more profound criticism of your religion, but maybe it just makes too little sense to lend itself to more meaningful comments.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Generally when I hear this kind of claim, it comes from a Christian who notices an atheist refuting a brand of Christianity not his own. I don't think you need to know the Bible backwards and forwards, or Hinduism, or the Koran to notice that there is a startling lack of evidence of god. And I know of no one who knows all the various brands of religion backwards and forwards. There are way too many for anyone to do that.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(October 18, 2015 at 9:16 pm)Faith No More Wrote: How informed do you think one should be to refute claims of magic and invisible wizards?

Haha, right?
Rule 1: only those who have personally met the sky wizard are qualified to criticise. Makes sense,no? Tongue
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Citations required.

I could make the claims that theists are all ignorant (which isn't true) and then avoid providing examples, too.
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 18, 2015 at 9:14 pm)Delicate Wrote: I suppose any theist who has read this part of the forum has to chuckle at how terrible atheist critiques of theism are.

But when the laughter dies down, you're left with a troubling realization: There actually is a huge pool of people on this planet who call themselves atheists and post on the internet, but are less familiar with theism than toddlers with the inside of a quantum mechanics textbook.

Where does one go for actually informed atheistic critiques of religion? I'm feeling my brain atrophy after reading some of the threads here.

Not all atheists are former christians, or have much information about religion. Some just don't take religion seriously, and remain atheists. We're a varied bunch with varying amounts of information on a subject we often don't take seriously.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

There are thousands of religions. When all of them - as well as pretty much each believer individually - make up their own sh*t, it's no wonder that it's difficult to keep it all straight.

You want some uninformed critique of religion? Go to any forum dedicated to any religion other than your particular one and see what they have to say about it.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(October 18, 2015 at 9:14 pm)Delicate Wrote: I suppose any theist who has read this part of the forum has to chuckle at how terrible atheist critiques of theism are.

Odd.  I've had exactly the opposite experience here.  Most of the Atheists I've met are former theists.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 7565 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20843 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12793 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10724 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion Delicate 500 108994 January 5, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19823 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 15418 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49320 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11019 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar