Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dr Wakefield struck off the medical register.
Dr Wakefield struck off the medical register.
Everyone remembers Dr Andrew Wakefield? The guy who in the late 90s published research that said there was a link between autism and the MMR vaccine, causing a mass panic which resulted in a lot of children not getting the life-saving vaccine (the paper was later discredited and retracted by the journal it was published in). If that doesn't ring any bells, he's also the guy who paid children at his son's birthday party £5 for a blood sample to use in his research.

Well, he's just been struck off the medical register for a breach of ethics: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8695267.stm
RE: Dr Wakefield struck off the medical register.
Good Smile
Unfortunately, damage done.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
He is a twat
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(May 24, 2010 at 8:51 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: Unfortunately, damage done.

Too true. There are an unfortunate number of people that still buy that bullshit and no amount of talking sense to them seems to change their minds. Reminds me of something...
Like this stupid twat, Jenny McCarthy.

http://www.generationrescue.org/
binnyCoffee
Of course... the question of 'does vaccination actually accomplish anything before it becomes ineffective?' remains... Dodgy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 25, 2010 at 2:51 am)Saerules Wrote: Of course... the question of 'does vaccination actually accomplish anything before it becomes ineffective?' remains... Dodgy
There are a lot of valid concerns about some vaccinations. It's just that autism is not one of them. A really good blog that does not take either extreme side is at http://anthraxvaccine.blogspot.com/ It's written by Meryl Nass who is a real scientist, not a quack, and who does not automatically think that vaccines are always good or always bad. Kind of rare since science blogs usually dismiss all vaccine concerns as being part of the autism/conspiracy anti-vaxxer stuff, and the conspiracy nutter blogs think that all vaccines, and all allopathic medicine as a whole, are bad.
My sister has never been right since the MMR jab, its nothing to do with autism, but something is definitely amiss, her ability to problem-solve, think tasks through and carry out simple mental arithmetic has been adversely affected.

Like Wakefield I can't prove it was the MMR vaccine that caused this, however we should all respect the rights of the public who wish to give their children separate jabs, it's a pity the government can't manage that same level of courtesy for the working class.

I still vividly remember the public uproar former Prime Minister Tony Blair caused when he initially refused to let his son Leo Blair have the vaccination. XD
Both my kids had the MMR vaccine and both of them are fine...well as fine as a teenager and a 22 year old can be. However my teenager is in the autism spectrum. Could it be? Not. He was that way long before any MMR vaccine.
I had the mumps. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. It was a truly horrible disease.
binnyCoffee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down Even if we don't kill ourselves off as a species. Brian37 33 2197 October 12, 2021 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Medical Marijuana LivingNumbers6.626 32 6275 December 31, 2014 at 2:59 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  Asteroid killed off the Dinosaurs, confirmed. Napoléon 43 16326 March 16, 2013 at 11:15 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Mars science laboratory Curiosity set for lift off popeyespappy 7 3290 November 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Get Off Your Duff thesummerqueen 4 1074 November 4, 2011 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Time to book that Alaskan cruise you've been putting off. The Grand Nudger 4 1968 August 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Violet