Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Off Your Duff
Get Off Your Duff
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...ing-linked

Quote:Physical inactivity is linked to as many as 49,000 cases of breast cancer and 43,000 cases of colon cancer a year in the United States, said Christine Friedenreich, an epidemiologist at Alberta Health Services-Cancer Care in Canada.

Breast and colon cancer appear to be the cancers most influenced by physical activity, according to the research we have to date, Friedenreich said, in presenting her findings here today (Nov. 3) at the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) conference.

But her findings also suggested that an estimated 37,200 cases of lung cancer, 30,600 cases of prostate cancer, 12,000 cases of endometrial cancer and 1,800 cases of ovarian cancer could be prevented if people were more physically active.

The work adds to a growing body of research indicating that prolonged sitting has lethal consequences, regardless of how active people are the rest of the day.

"It seems highly likely that the longer you sit, the higher your risk [of cancer]," said Neville Owen, head of behavioral epidemiology at the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute in Australia, who also presented findings at the meeting. Owen's study showed that U.S. adults, on average, sit 15.5 hours a day.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Get Off Your Duff
Ah, now I feel all the better that I went to a Zumba lesson today Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Makes me not feel so bad that I hate sitting in one spot for a long period of time.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Get Off Your Duff
I'd love to engage in a bit of physical inactivity for a bit. Just once.....
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Ah, more bullshit... Correlation != causation.

I'd like to point out that our hominid brethren spend quite some time sitting on their asses; for multiple species that we've kept in capitivity at length and yet only humans?

I've seen little reason to consider humans differently when looking at large scale actions (e.g. sitting is common among a great many organisms) and correlating that to certain specific maladies. And cancer is a rather specific diagnosis for sitting.

What shit.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down Even if we don't kill ourselves off as a species. Brian37 33 2197 October 12, 2021 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Asteroid killed off the Dinosaurs, confirmed. Napoléon 43 16326 March 16, 2013 at 11:15 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Mars science laboratory Curiosity set for lift off popeyespappy 7 3290 November 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Time to book that Alaskan cruise you've been putting off. The Grand Nudger 4 1968 August 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Dr Wakefield struck off the medical register. Tiberius 9 5659 May 25, 2010 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: binny