Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Responding to the Challenge
Responding to the Challenge
I was challenged by one of the members of this site to keep a list of times when God spoke to me and record the number of hits and misses. This was in reference to times I had predicted the future, or rather was told the future by God.

Well I have a rather obscure new hit to add to the list. It is as follows:

My sister was visiting with her new baby boy, Johnothan. She said to me guess what happened to Johnothan this week. Suddenly my mind was filled with thoughts of circumcision, which I thought was totally gross, and I thought I should not be thinking this. Seconds latter she responded giving the answer to the question; she had just had Johnothan circumcised.
RE: Responding to the Challenge
The other day, I was driving, and the light was red, but then I thought really hard about green lights, and the light changed!!!
Nice to know God keeps you updated with who has had their foreskin chopped off.
When you're speaking to God, you're praying...When God is speaking to you, you're schizophrenic.
dog·ma
n. pl. dog·mas or dog·ma·ta (-mə-tə)
1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.
I'd like to suggest you take that challenge another step. Continue with your record keeping on your prayers to God. Track how many 'hits and misses' you receive from your communications with God. Do this for approx. a month or whatever time frame you feel comfortable with your data on 'answered prayers' or whatever you're choosing to call it.

Then for the second trial of this experiment, keep the same records for the same length of time except this time pray to...... ummmm, I dunno.... '57 Chevys, or Hejob the God of my backyard pond, or your dog, or a tree. Direct your communications to whatever entity, other than God, you choose.

It is my contention your results will be closely mirrored. You will acheive the same, give or take a couple few 'miracles' or answered/denied 'prayer' requests, results.

A little ancedote here, I have carried out this experiment more than a few times. The last time I did it I set aside 25 days for each entity. God (of the bible) got 25 days and the Hubert the Koi fish (of my backyard pond) got 25 days. One of the 'requests' I included in the normal everyday prayers in addition to the good health, plenty of food, sunny days ones, was I brought one $1 scratch-off lottery tickets each day and prayed I would at least re-coup my $25 investment and possibly make a profit.

During the 'God of the Bible' times I got three $2 winning tickets for a net loss of $19. During the Hubert times I scratched-off two $2 winners, a $10 winner and a $50 winning ticket! A $39 net profit. That doesn't "prove" anything, but an interesting outcome nonetheless.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
To be quite honest, I don't think we can rely on FutureAndAHope to be entirely open-minded or unbiased about this. How does he define a "miss", and would he actually record it?

The problem with a whole hit/miss scenario is that if you hear a voice in your head saying "Your sister will reveal something to you", all you have to do is wait for your sister to reveal something to you in order to make the voice a "hit". Rarely do you ever get "misses" with these sorts of people because they will wait years for something to happen that was revealed to them, and then claim it was some kind of hit.
(December 10, 2008 at 10:34 am)Dotard Wrote: I'd like to suggest you take that challenge another step. Continue with your record keeping on your prayers to God. Track how many 'hits and misses' you receive from your communications with God. Do this for approx. a month or whatever time frame you feel comfortable with your data on 'answered prayers' or whatever you're choosing to call it.

Then for the second trial of this experiment, keep the same records for the same length of time except this time pray to...... ummmm, I dunno.... '57 Chevys, or Hejob the God of my backyard pond, or your dog, or a tree. Direct your communications to whatever entity, other than God, you choose.

It is my contention your results will be closely mirrored. You will acheive the same, give or take a couple few 'miracles' or answered/denied 'prayer' requests, results.

A little ancedote here, I have carried out this experiment more than a few times. The last time I did it I set aside 25 days for each entity. God (of the bible) got 25 days and the Hubert the Koi fish (of my backyard pond) got 25 days. One of the 'requests' I included in the normal everyday prayers in addition to the good health, plenty of food, sunny days ones, was I brought one $1 scratch-off lottery tickets each day and prayed I would at least re-coup my $25 investment and possibly make a profit.

During the 'God of the Bible' times I got three $2 winning tickets for a net loss of $19. During the Hubert times I scratched-off two $2 winners, a $10 winner and a $50 winning ticket! A $39 net profit. That doesn't "prove" anything, but an interesting outcome nonetheless.

You know that there is a right way and a wrong way to pray, don't you?
(December 10, 2008 at 3:36 pm)Daystar Wrote:
(December 10, 2008 at 10:34 am)Dotard Wrote: I'd like to suggest you take that challenge another step. Continue with your record keeping on your prayers to God. Track how many 'hits and misses' you receive from your communications with God. Do this for approx. a month or whatever time frame you feel comfortable with your data on 'answered prayers' or whatever you're choosing to call it.

You know that there is a right way and a wrong way to pray, don't you?

Yeah, the right way is NOT praying, the wrong way is doing an effort to pray...
dog·ma
n. pl. dog·mas or dog·ma·ta (-mə-tə)
1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.
(December 10, 2008 at 3:36 pm)Daystar Wrote: You know that there is a right way and a wrong way to pray, don't you?
Well, then finally we'll have an excellent test to identify real gods from phoney ones.
(December 10, 2008 at 3:39 pm)Baird Wrote: Yeah, the right way is NOT praying, the wrong way is doing an effort to pray...

That could very well be. It depends upon you, actually. If you are not interested then why bother?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A critical thinking challenge Foxaèr 18 4254 June 15, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Drich
  A challenge to anyone I guess! Mystic 27 5139 June 10, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Liberalism's Great Challenge? Minimalist 20 3337 September 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A challenge to any and all religions collectively. Brian37 24 4503 May 2, 2016 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Greatest Challenge to Atheists Ever The Valkyrie 32 6696 October 19, 2015 at 9:36 am
Last Post: loganonekenobi
  Apologetics open challenge robvalue 172 39769 October 3, 2015 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Mystic
  A simple challenge for atheists bob96 775 108123 February 20, 2015 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Challenge to christians: Satan wrote the bible robvalue 120 22904 February 15, 2015 at 5:13 am
Last Post: emilynghiem
  Challenge For Theists Nope 65 11893 February 11, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Hideously Complex Challenge For Christians. BrianSoddingBoru4 55 13579 February 2, 2015 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Chas