Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Theists Illogical for Believing in God?
Are Theists Illogical for Believing in God?
I was going through the forums here and I saw someone's picture saying something along the lines of giving children logical explanations; not magical explanations. The meaning of the word logical is misused here because we can come to logical conclusions based on false premises which is logical. So, theists aren't illogical, but their logic for concluding the existence of their deity to be true is based on a different set of premises that most atheists wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

You may be thinking that the semantics aren't important but using words more accurately in this case will avoid theists from having to explain the semantics to us. Besides, we look stupid when we use logical to mean 'whatever leads to our conclusions'.

The difference between our logic and their logic I would say is the type of 'knowledge' our logics are based on or even based on our different definitions of what is knowledge. The atheists logic is usually based on general or common experience, the experience of many, the testable and repeatable, what is peer reviewed. From what I've read on the forums and other, theists logic - which leads to the conclusion that their deity exists - is based on isolated experienced, personal experience, anecdotal even.

Theists may think that they are speaking from common experience when they say they know many people that have answered prayers but each individual testimony does not count as repeatable, testable, or review-able.

We could also point out that a lot of their logic is based on a poor understanding of probability but I guess I'll leave that for another post or someone else to post about.

What do you think about theist logic and atheist logic? Am I wrong about logic entirely? Is their only one logic?
RE: Are Theists Illogical for Believing in God?
I don't think that a belief in the supernatural is logical, especially when it is a belief in an omniscient/omnipresent/omnipotent being. 'God did it' is not a 'logical explanation' for anything. It is a belief based upon emotion and desire... not logic.
From my experience it is LOGICAL to give children magical reasons for unexplainable (age appropriate) situations. More often than not THEY will come back with sound reason based on observable evidence and sound logic.

Happened with my kids and I fail to see it not happening with any other child.

I had "House Dragons" running through my house..."Shit Mum...it's only the ambient energy flow...you KNOW this!!" from a 14 year old

I was so proud of my children!! Still am. I gave them the magical when they were young (1-7yo) and then built it from there. As they could comprehend more of the REAL world I gave it to them, no holds barred. I am thinking that this is the best way to raise balanced children to become questioning young adults.

I am proud of my epileptic girlie woman going to uni as much as I am of my Autistic man child. Both question EVERYTHING as it should be. They have their own coping mechanisms but that is OK as they KNOW that their definitions are pertinent to them ONLY and have no grounding in reality.

I am also thinking that this is the human adventure....
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
A belief in some sort of creator, call it god if you like is quite logical. Humans design and make things and when early man looked at nature and how it all seemed to work it's quite reasonable to come to the conclusion that these things must also have been made and designed.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Yes, I agree with the you, to equate a ‘rational explanation’ with a ‘natural explanation’ is at best an indicator of a strong prejudice, at worst a category mistake.

No-one can avoid having his or her own philosophical commitments. You may have a naturalistic one, I may have a theistic one. These commitments won’t figure very largely, if at all, when we are studying/explaining how things work, but they play a much more dominant role when we are studying/explaining how things came to exist in the first place, or when we are studying things that bear on our understanding of ourselves as human beings.

I was reading this kind of thing in a John Lennox book on the tube yesterday.

Another related thing he was saying is that Christian theism has more than one source of knowledge or information, science and revelation from God. Whereas scientism would say that only science can lead to truth i.e. real knowledge or information.

The main point he was trying to make is that in cases where science is not our source of information, we cannot automatically assume that reason has ceased to function and evidence has ceased to be relevant.
Faith is illogical.

The God concept in Christianity is acutely logical.
(June 4, 2010 at 12:25 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Faith is illogical.

Pretty much by definition. Agreed.

(June 4, 2010 at 12:25 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: The God concept in Christianity is acutely logical.

How do you figure? It requires faith to believe that the Christian god actually exists, so how is this belief 'acutely logical'?
The belief can't be logical, based on faith.
(June 4, 2010 at 2:10 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: The belief can't be logical, based on faith.

Well... in that case no knowledge/beliefs can be logical... as they are all based on faith Sleepy

Logic itself is faith-based... all the more so when sure things are states as 'the universe is logical'. Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Thanks for that existentialist curve ball Sae :S Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12532 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Theists and Atheists: the "is there a God Devil's advocate thread Alex K 60 11718 October 30, 2015 at 7:22 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Being vs. Believing henryp 22 4273 May 27, 2015 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Illogical things can be real, like God, I have an idea orlox 30 7235 February 4, 2014 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Thoughts on "Believing in Yourself" clemdog14 13 4501 January 11, 2013 at 9:01 am
Last Post: jonb
  Why ontological arguments are illogical liam 51 28121 August 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is it logical to use logic in a illogical universe? British_Atheist 23 9726 June 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: martin02
  What is illogical? Nothing? Edwardo Piet 16 4988 December 29, 2010 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet