Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it logical to use logic in a illogical universe?
Is it logical to use logic in a illogical universe?
I am wondering if logic is a useful tool in deducting things in a universe which possibily is not logical. Thinking

From www.squidoo.com

What do members think?
[Image: britishatheist.jpg]
RE: Is it logical to use logic in a illogical universe?
Which part of the Universe is not logical! Apart from most human thought!
(June 22, 2010 at 9:17 am)ib.me.ub Wrote: Which part of the Universe is not logical! Apart from most human thought!

he's asking if it's possible to use logic in a illogical universe i don't think he meant this universe
see http://atheistforums.org/thread-3842.html
Eleveetainium, canudgnar foom.
Quote:I am wondering if logic is a useful tool in deducting things in a universe which possibily is not logical.

Of course it is,so long as you don't fall into the trap of believing logical= true. [necessarily]
(June 24, 2010 at 6:35 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:I am wondering if logic is a useful tool in deducting things in a universe which possibily is not logical.

Of course it is,so long as you don't fall into the trap of believing logical= true. [necessarily]

Any discussion about the value of logic presupposes the validity of logic, so we can't escape logic, even if we try.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
(June 22, 2010 at 10:09 am)Ashendant Wrote: he's asking if it's possible to use logic in a illogical universe i don't think he meant this universe
Depends on how much of illogical reasoning you need to label a universe illogical.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(June 24, 2010 at 1:00 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote:

Any discussion about the value of logic presupposes the validity of logic, so we can't escape logic, even if we try.

Of course,but logically valid does not necessarily mean true.

In formal logic, the proposition is always deemed true for the sake argument. IE IF A , then------

The inference from an argument may be logically valid but untue.

The neo Platonists argued truth may be inferred by reason alone. It became and remains the basis of theist apologetics. I reject that approach ,demanding evidence to support a logical inference.
(June 24, 2010 at 11:20 pm)padraic Wrote:
(June 24, 2010 at 1:00 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote:

Of course,but logically valid does not necessarily mean true.

In formal logic, the proposition is always deemed true for the sake argument. IE IF A , then------

The inference from an argument may be logically valid but untue.

The neo Platonists argued truth may be inferred by reason alone. It became and remains the basis of theist apologetics. I reject that approach ,demanding evidence to support a logical inference.

who said different?

edit: well besides Ashendant implicitly...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Logical Observation About Racism. disobey 20 1947 August 23, 2023 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1300 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The evolution of logic ignoramus 3 921 October 7, 2019 at 7:34 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11313 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11396 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 988 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3666 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Logical Absolutes Tiberius 14 14644 November 20, 2016 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Matt Dilahunty On The Logical Absolutes Edwardo Piet 30 6363 November 20, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  On Logic and Alternate Universes FallentoReason 328 39352 November 17, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger