Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental
Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental
Quote:Americans overwhelmingly elect Christian representatives, and they distrust atheists.

This study challenges those attitudes. It was the children in non-religious homes most likely to be generous toward a stranger. The longer a child had lived in a religious home, the stingier he was compared to his secular peers.
There is a link to the actual study in the article.

News Article

Study

I guess I'm not surprised by the judgmental part.  I mean, it seems that is what Abrahamic religions do heavily focus on. Sin, sin, sin! Who is sinning?  Are you sinning?  You were born a sinner. Etc.

This is a worldwide study, so not just an American phenomenon. Can't blame the stingy Republicans for this result.  So what do you suppose actually causes religious kids to be less generous?  Is this just a product of religious people tending to be more conservative, and less religious people tending to be more progressive, and progressive people tending to be more generous?  

In any case, an interesting study.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental
The abrahamic religion sets up an us vs them mentality. We're all sinners, but the one who worship god are getting to heaven. Everyone else is going to hell, so why bother with them? If they won't convert, then don't throw pearls before swine.

It's ironic that often the ones who think they're more moral are actually less moral, because of how closed off they are.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I can't say I find this all that surprising.  The most judgmental people I have ever known were christians (isn't there text in their book that tells them not to do that?)  Undecided
(November 5, 2015 at 4:46 pm)mediocrates Wrote: I can't say I find this all that surprising.  The most judgmental people I have ever known were christians (isn't there text in their book that tells them not to do that?)  Undecided

We had a guy here - and I shit you not - who, when I pointed out that bit to him, claimed that Jesus personally told him he could ignore that part.
Just like their fucking parents.  What a surprise!
(November 5, 2015 at 4:48 pm)Skeletor Wrote:
(November 5, 2015 at 4:46 pm)mediocrates Wrote: I can't say I find this all that surprising.  The most judgmental people I have ever known were christians (isn't there text in their book that tells them not to do that?)  Undecided

We had a guy here - and I shit you not - who, when I pointed out that bit to him, claimed that Jesus personally told him he could ignore that part.

HAHA! Not the most creative way to wiggle around that one!  

How about this one...
Quote:Now that is very different from telling someone that they shouldn't dare to call anything wrong. In fact, such reasoning will ultimately lead to calling evil good and good evil. This is because evil cannot be called evil, since such labeling is judgmental. Good is considered evil, because those who are endeavoring to do good by calling something else wrong, are guilty of judging. How could any court of justice operate if all judgment without exception were considered wrong? All criticisms of anything would have to be withheld on the basis that such critiques are judgmental in nature.
source: http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/meyer/060429
As a religious child I was both extremely generous and extremely judgmental.
I looked down on others for not aiming for the same ridiculous standard.

That being said if I still had an inner child I would pay to be put into a temporary coma so I could meet him in a dream and slap his chubby little face till it was red raw.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(November 5, 2015 at 4:48 pm)Skeletor Wrote: We had a guy here - and I shit you not - who, when I pointed out that bit to him, claimed that Jesus personally told him he could ignore that part.

Why would that surprise you? Right now, this very day, we've got a guy on the lose, claiming to be the son of god.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Good point.
To be fair, he's offering more evidence than Jesus did. At least he is writing something down in his own lifetime.

Interesting! This doesn't surprise me either. Thanks for the info Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 10896 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Suffer the little children to come unto me LinuxGal 2 623 August 7, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Children removed from Jewish sect's jungle compound in Mexico zebo-the-fat 3 613 September 30, 2022 at 5:12 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees. Succubus#2 28 2277 March 22, 2020 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Religious fundamentalists more likely to believe fake news OakTree500 30 3599 November 10, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: no one
  Are introverts less likely to like organised religion? Der/die AtheistIn 8 1331 March 22, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7731 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study Fake Messiah 28 4466 November 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The problem of evil/suffering when it comes to children Redbeard The Pink 163 23917 February 26, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Atheism is as natural as religion, study suggests zebo-the-fat 9 2123 February 23, 2016 at 3:11 am
Last Post: robvalue