Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees.
Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees.
From the Guardian. No link but it's easy enough to find.

Quote:“Reasons for differences in degree award by student’s religion during their time in [higher education] are complex and difficult to disentangle from other characteristics associated with religion,”

Yes no doubt, there must be no end of variables involved but this:

Quote:The researchers found that the gap between Muslims and others got wider as the proportion of Muslims studying at an institution fell. Universities with Muslims making up just 3% of students saw the worst outcomes compared with their peers...

Appears to be in conflict with this:

Quote:The researchers also noted that the performance of Muslim students was inversely related to the proportion of Muslim staff at an institution: for every additional percentage point of Muslim staff, the attainment gap between Muslims and non-Muslims shrank by more than by two percentage points.

WTF? I eagerly await an explanation for this from our Muslim colleagues.

Quote:Jewish students were the most academically successful among all groups: nearly nine out of 10 graduated with a first or 2.1 degree. And eight out of 10 students with no religion also achieved a first or 2.1.

Every picture tells a story.
Miserable Bastard.
RE: Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees.
Yeah, Muslims should look-up to the Jews if they want to be more successful in life.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(March 18, 2020 at 10:02 am)Succubus#2 Wrote: From the Guardian. No link but it's easy enough to find.

Quote:“Reasons for differences in degree award by student’s religion during their time in [higher education] are complex and difficult to disentangle from other characteristics associated with religion,”

Quote:The researchers found that the gap between Muslims and others got wider as the proportion of Muslims studying at an institution fell. Universities with Muslims making up just 3% of students saw the worst outcomes compared with their peers...

Quote:The researchers also noted that the performance of Muslim students was inversely related to the proportion of Muslim staff at an institution: for every additional percentage point of Muslim staff, the attainment gap between Muslims and non-Muslims shrank by more than by two percentage points.

Quote:Jewish students were the most academically successful among all groups: nearly nine out of 10 graduated with a first or 2.1 degree. And eight out of 10 students with no religion also achieved a first or 2.1.

The take away here is that Jews are clearly smarter than Muslims. There can’t possibly be ANY other explanation for this disparity.

Boru

(Just trying to get ahead of the bigot curve)
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What explains the correlation between the number of Muslim teachers and Muslim students?
Miserable Bastard.
The percentage of muslim staff is probably related to the percentage of muslim students by pure demographics. If there's a significant population of muslims in an area choosing to study and work at a particular institution - the numbers would be expected to average out (outside of institutional bias). In areas with only a few muslim students, it's likely for there to be even fewer muslim professors...but lets imagine some critical mass where the percentages even out and then rise together.

3% can only absorb one shitty student at 33%, whereas 9% can absorb 3 at 33%. In this event..the relationship is coincidental.

One muslim trust fund baby, dumb as a rock, at a predominantly non-muslim institution will have a higher statistical weight and fewer muslim professors. Validating both points of data. Potentially, ofc. I'd be more worried about institutional bias given the surface relationship of those numbers, than muslim people being dumber than other people - or jewish people being smarter. One otherwise bright student expressing themselves in a culturally isolated way can stand in very well for the single (actually) shitty student, especially with fewer people to appreciate what they're trying to say. Whatever could increase the percentage of muslim professors would be a good hedge against unintentional but insensitive mistakes like that.

It's hard to believe that there aren't non-muslim professors who failed up and muslim professors who succeeded down (especially given attainment gaps). The low hanging fruit for a university with a larger attainment gap is obvious. Reach out and hire professors. Hilariously difficult to do - optics.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Most religious people that are in academia are secular and especially Jews who are mostly only culturally Jewish (they don't exactly believe in burning bush and flood). I mean if you look at Nobel laureates you can see a lot of "Jews" but basically no Muslims.

Similar case is with Christians.

Of course, secular Muslims are still very rare, so that is perhaps why they aren't in noticable numbers in academia.
Because if you have a lot of faith in nonsense from holy books, you have to spend a lot of mental energy every day to rationalize those nonsensical things in order so that they appear to you as "real" in face of actuall reality, so you don't have enough mental energy left to do the real thinking and learning.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I think the answer is "god did it", for a lot of different reasons.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 18, 2020 at 10:02 am)Succubus#2 Wrote: From the Guardian. No link but it's easy enough to find.

Does the research factor in other socioeconomic factors? 

For example, it may be (I don't know) that Muslim students are more likely to be immigrants or the children of immigrants. They may well be at a disadvantage in their primary education. Likewise, they may be living in poorer areas with lots of immigrants, or lower tax bases, in the schools aren't as good. 

Peter Hitchens has written a lot about how in the bad old days high schools could select students by merit, but the new system means that kids in rich areas, or kids with very rich parents, have clear advantages.

I don't know... I'm just thinking we should look at likely factors apart from religion.

When I went to high school in a totally podunk town with a barely-functioning high school, I was told that it's impossible to study for the SAT entrance exam. Then I got to New York and all the rich kids said they had been taking SAT prep courses for years before the exam. They had full-time counsellors and special tutoring included in their schools. They had full time placement officers in their high schools whose job it was to get them into the best college. 

Some of those kids were genuinely smarter than me, but some of them weren't -- they were the kids of rich parents who had their hands held all through college, who did the minimum amount of work anyway, and got great jobs out of college because of connections. They were generous with their cocaine, though, as a way of having us not hate them.

Anyway, there need to be many other things factored in to such a study.
(March 18, 2020 at 5:07 pm)Belacqua Wrote:

Does the research factor in other socioeconomic factors? 

For example, it may be (I don't know) that Muslim students are more likely to be immigrants or the children of immigrants. They may well be at a disadvantage in their primary education. Likewise, they may be living in poorer areas with lots of immigrants, or lower tax bases, in the schools aren't as good. 

Peter Hitchens has written a lot about how in the bad old days high schools could select students by merit, but the new system means that kids in rich areas, or kids with very rich parents, have clear advantages.

I don't know... I'm just thinking we should look at likely factors apart from religion.

When I went to high school in a totally podunk town with a barely-functioning high school, I was told that it's impossible to study for the SAT entrance exam. Then I got to New York and all the rich kids said they had been taking SAT prep courses for years before the exam. They had full-time counsellors and special tutoring included in their schools. They had full time placement officers in their high schools whose job it was to get them into the best college. 

Some of those kids were genuinely smarter than me, but some of them weren't -- they were the kids of rich parents who had their hands held all through college, who did the minimum amount of work anyway, and got great jobs out of college because of connections. They were generous with their cocaine, though, as a way of having us not hate them.

Anyway, there need to be many other things factored in to such a study.

The study made note of that:

Quote:“Reasons for differences in degree award by student’s religion during their time in [higher education] are complex and difficult to disentangle from other characteristics associated with religion“

It appears that the study was pointing out THAT Muslim students fail to be awarded degrees and not WHY this is the case.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 18, 2020 at 11:22 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Jews who are mostly only culturally Jewish (they don't exactly believe in burning bush and flood)

[...]

Because if you have a lot of faith in nonsense from holy books,  you have to spend a lot of mental energy every day to rationalize those nonsensical things in order so that they appear to you as "real" in face of actuall reality, so you don't have enough mental energy left to do the real thinking and learning.

This is a mistake you make all the time. You assume that all religious people are literalist sola scriptura. This is ignorance on your part, and the reason you won't learn otherwise appears to be bigotry. 

There are many religious Jews -- to whom their religion is very important -- who don't read the burning bush and flood as literal historical events. The non-literal reading has a long history, is well known, and people who, unlike you, know what they're talking about have no problem with it.

Likewise educated Muslims don't have to waste time rationalizing myths and wasting their mental energy.

You're the one wasting mental energy by making false and prejudiced assumptions about a huge and diverse group of people.

(March 18, 2020 at 5:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It appears that the study was pointing out THAT Muslim students fail to be awarded degrees and not WHY this is the case.

Boru

It appears that some of our fellow posters are happy to ignore that part, and draw whatever conclusion they want. In the case above, that conclusion is his usual "religious people dumb."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1774 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1553 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Health class christian teacher..... brewer 7 756 March 26, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: no one
  Religious fundamentalists more likely to believe fake news OakTree500 30 3786 November 10, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: no one
  Are introverts less likely to like organised religion? Der/die AtheistIn 8 1340 March 22, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: GODZILLA
  An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality SuperSentient 10 2895 March 5, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Top 10 Most Shocking Religious Scandals Fake Messiah 17 3534 November 29, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 49089 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  Religion: a tool for the ruling class to keep the population under control? Veritas_Vincit 25 4149 June 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Here's what can happen to an atheist in a Muslim country drfuzzy 12 2212 February 13, 2016 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue