Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ?
what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ?
Smile just wanted to start a thread to see what Deists and non religious theists believe about God and religions just curious really thought it would be interesting to hear from deists and theists about God and spiritual concepts im not too knowledgeable about deists and what they believe and talking to deists people about beliefs is better than just googling deist . so if anyone knows any deists or anti religion theists what have they told you about their beliefs about God or concepts of spirituality  like life after death eternity infinity and everything else if you believe in any of that at all . in other words "define God"  rob you should like this thread lol 

i dont have any complete definition of God or presume anything about God so in a way im agnostic everything religion says about God is human creation we are not capable of accurately perceiving/defining God but we can get inspiration from God but thats not the same as thinking we are able to imagine God correctly .
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
RE: what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ?
Or better yet how does one believe in something for which there is no good, quality reason for?
(November 14, 2015 at 2:51 pm)SpecUVdust Wrote: Or better yet how does one believe in something for which there is no good, quality reason for?

a theist would say they do have good reason to believe in God but if deists do not believe humans can have a relationship with God at all i wonder why they do believe in God .
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
Exactly right. So then theists. A theists only "good" reason is that it makes them feel good. If we all carried out our lives doing only what made us feel good, we would all be dead.
(November 14, 2015 at 2:59 pm)SpecUVdust Wrote: Exactly right. So then theists. A theists only "good" reason is that it makes them feel good. If we all carried out our lives doing only what made us feel good, we would all be dead.

Really. The only reason for believing in god is fuzzy feelings? I would've thought that some people actually interpret reality differently than others.
(November 14, 2015 at 2:59 pm)SpecUVdust Wrote: Exactly right. So then theists. A theists only "good" reason is that it makes them feel good. If we all carried out our lives doing only what made us feel good, we would all be dead.

i agree believing should be based on experience and not faith in what other people tell them is true / belief in God through religious training people should base their beliefs on evidence not taking another person word for it . the reason christianity is so popular is their faith based ideaology

How else does one learn of "God" other than somebody told them?
The bible? Research the historicity of the bible.

Revelation from God? Demonstrate
Christianity popular?!? Say that after visiting some other countries. Point is people "like" their religion because of indoctrination or as you said religious training. But it's more than that, they're also trained to not think
So Jenny, you are a theist?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2256 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1746 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Persistent Non-Symbolic Experiences Ahriman 0 533 August 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2338 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 648 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God as a non-creator Fake Messiah 13 1637 January 21, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7113 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13280 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 6935 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7828 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus