Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why so many pedophile priests?
Why so many pedophile priests?
Why do you guys think that there seem to be so many pedophile Catholic priests? Do pedophiles become priests, do priests become pedophiles, or is the whole thing just overblown by the media? Or does it have something to do with Catholicism itself (the vow of celibacy, perhaps?). I'm really curious.
RE: Why so many pedophile priests?
Quote:Do pedophiles become priests, do priests become pedophiles,

Yes.

Quote:is the whole thing just overblown by the media?

No.

Quote:Or does it have something to do with Catholicism itself

Yes.
Well I have a theory, critique or poke holes in as you like.
-Who might think vow of celibacy is an attractive option? Someone who feels having sex is wrong.
This is why I think a lot of pedophiles join the clergy. They know their desires are wrong, and take a vow of celibacy. Perhaps they hope or even pray that these desires will go away with this vow and God's intervention. Of course, there is no magical cure. In some cases, those people give in to these desires and commit these horrid crimes. Perhaps some rationalize that since God didn't take away these desires that they should act on them.

Bottom line; Theory. I am a straight woman who is very attracted to a boyfriend who is 6 years older than I. I can only guess at the mind of a pedophile.
'Cos they know that if they get caught the cathaholic church will protect them.

Of course, if they get caught shagging an adult woman in a consenting relationship they'll be excommunicated.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Some reasons for pedophile priests:

1. Theres a traditional social expectation for young men to date/ marry women. But of course that expectation doesn't apply to priests. So for pedophiles, who aren't at all interested in dating/ marrying/ fucking people of their own age group, the clergy is a refuge from social expectations.

2. Pedophiles look out for opportunities. Any pedophile with half a brain would realize that being a catholic clergyman would give him plenty of opportunities for unsupervised access to children.

3. Sexual frustration. There are no doubt some priests who would not have had pedophilic sex were they permitted to have normal relationships. The parallel here is with prison- many straight prisoners end up having gay sex since thats all that is available.

4. Guilt. VoiceOfReason has already explained this admirably.

5. Culture. In some catholic institutions (e.g. orphanages), a real culture of pedophilia seems to have developed- pedophilia became normalized, if you like. Many of the people involved may have viewed sex with children as a perk of the job.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
[youtube]S3NbXftMm0A[/youtube]
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Quote:-Who might think vow of celibacy is an attractive option?

That "vow" doesn't even seem to slow them down. Protestants are the same way with vows of poverty.
(June 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm)WingedFoe Wrote: Why do you guys think that there seem to be so many pedophile Catholic priests? Do pedophiles become priests, do priests become pedophiles, or is the whole thing just overblown by the media? Or does it have something to do with Catholicism itself (the vow of celibacy, perhaps?). I'm really curious.

Well, my hypothesis is that the phenomenon has a lot to do with the vow of celibacy, and I think that the choice of abusing children is itself a result of the vow, since it's (at least in theory) much easier to get children to be quiet about something like this, and especially if they don't know too much about sex. Imagine how difficult it must be to get a full-grown woman to consent to such an act, and to never talk about it to anybody, compared to a small boy. And for that matter, I've read that, in some especially Catholic communities, some boys are pretty much strong-armed by their parents into joining the priesthood, whether their desire is weak enough to be restrained or not.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(June 13, 2010 at 12:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:-Who might think vow of celibacy is an attractive option?

That "vow" doesn't even seem to slow them down. Protestants are the same way with vows of poverty.

Vow of poverty? Do you mean what Jesus said about rich people not getting into heaven, or do people actually take vows of poverty? This is the first time I've heard of such a thing O.o
It is very common for members of religious orders to take what they call the Three Vows. They are the vows of chastity, obedience and poverty. What is meant by poverty is that the zealot in question "does not own personal property, but owns all in common with the community, eats at a common table, contributes any salary or remuneration for work to a common fund, and lives in a simple manner befitting one living in evangelical poverty."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chief Priests and Roman Authorities Ferrocyanide 19 1385 February 28, 2022 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5144 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2549 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 17123 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2127 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 29471 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Catholic priests allowed to exorcise demons in English pocaracas 48 8609 November 4, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Australia church abuse: Priests 'must report' confessions zebo-the-fat 77 12839 August 16, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Women as priests Der/die AtheistIn 53 8324 August 4, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4887 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon