Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genesis interpretations - how many are there?
Genesis interpretations - how many are there?
Really, can someone tell me how many different interpretations of Genesis are there? Christians clobber us non-stop for not taking Book Of Genesis for granted but which interpretation? They themselves can't agree on what is the right interpretation. These are that I know:

-Flat Earthers: They take book of Genesis really literally and think that you are going to Hell if you don't consider Earth to be flat and center of the universe because spherical Earth that revolves around the Sun corrodes morality making humans "insignificant beings on an insignificant planet."

-Young Earth Creationists: They actually are really similar to FEs they just don't take parts about Earth being flat seriously, but they believe if you accept evolution and non-six day creation that you are immoral because you consider human to be "just an animal". Curiously they think FEs are crazy.

-"Evolutionists": These apparently see biological evolution described in the Genesis book. They seem insecure in their views, sometimes they'll defend YACs and they have relatives that are YACs, but hey at least they're trying.

-Old Earth Creationists: To be honest I find this branch to be maybe the strangest. They believe that god of the Bible created universe in six days but billions of years ago, not 6000 as YACs do. And they have a movement about them that is perhaps mix of people who are YACs and "Evolutionists". Like, I remember watching a nutty "documentary" called "Mystery of the Sphinx" with Charlton Heston where he presents that worldview and as you can imagine their evidence is Atlantis, Edgar Cayce, face on Mars and so on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUsGnMUH2Y

(EDIT documentary is actually "Mysterious Origins of Man" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQU9AhPnwsk )

There are some other interpretations (probably thousands of them) like some guy that debated AronRa claims YACs are wrong because god didn't create world in 6 days but 6000 years and some other stuff.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Genesis interpretations - how many are there?
(July 10, 2018 at 3:34 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Really, can someone tell me how many different interpretations of Genesis are there? Christians clobber us non-stop for not taking Book Of Genesis for granted but which interpretation? They themselves can't agree on what is the right interpretation. These are that I know:

-Flat Earthers: They take book of Genesis really literally and think that you are going to Hell if you don't consider Earth to be flat and center of the universe because spherical Earth that revolves around the Sun corrodes morality making humans "insignificant beings on an insignificant planet."

-Young Earth Creationists: They actually are really similar to FEs they just don't take parts about Earth being flat seriously, but they believe if you accept evolution and non-six day creation that you are immoral because you consider human to be "just an animal". Curiously they think FEs are crazy.

-"Evolutionists": These apparently see biological evolution described in the Genesis book. They seem insecure in their views, sometimes they'll defend YACs and they have relatives that are YACs, but hey at least they're trying.

-Old Earth Creationists: To be honest I find this branch to be maybe the strangest. They believe that god of the Bible created universe in six days but billions of years ago, not 6000 as YACs do. And they have a movement about them that is perhaps mix of people who are YACs and "Evolutionists". Like, I remember watching a nutty "documentary" called "Mystery of the Sphinx" with Charlton Heston where he presents that worldview and as you can imagine their evidence is Atlantis, Edgar Cayce, face on Mars and so on.

There are some other interpretations (probably thousands of them) like some guy that debated AronRa claims YACs are wrong because god didn't create world in 6 days but 6000 years and some other stuff.

People believe that shit because they believe silly Jewish fairy tales.  Even the Bible says that it's stupid to believe those lies.
Atheists, not believers, are ultimately responsible for the multiple interpretations of Genesis:  Every time we have the temerity, the unholy gall, to point out inconsistencies and logical/factual errors in their creation myth, they trot out a new version in a more and more desperate attempt to salvage whatever remains of their clumsy faery story.

In short, there are exactly as many Genesis interpretations as there are fatal errors in Genesis.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 10, 2018 at 3:58 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Atheists, not believers, are ultimately responsible for the multiple interpretations of Genesis:  Every time we have the temerity, the unholy gall, to point out inconsistencies and logical/factual errors in their creation myth, they trot out a new version in a more and more desperate attempt to salvage whatever remains of their clumsy faery story.

In short, there are exactly as many Genesis interpretations as there are fatal errors in Genesis.

Boru
It's gotten to a point were it's essentially a choose your own adventure book
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(July 10, 2018 at 5:14 am)Tizheruk Wrote:
(July 10, 2018 at 3:58 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Atheists, not believers, are ultimately responsible for the multiple interpretations of Genesis:  Every time we have the temerity, the unholy gall, to point out inconsistencies and logical/factual errors in their creation myth, they trot out a new version in a more and more desperate attempt to salvage whatever remains of their clumsy faery story.

Boru
It's gotten to a point were it's essentially a choose your own adventure book

Heh.  'If you slaughter the Amalekites, turn to page 80.  If you spare them, turn to page 53...'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
1 Genesis day = Amount of time it is more convenient for creation to have taken / 7

This does make sense, since we're now in the "rest" day, and God is doing fuck all.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The only difference between a holy writings and Harry Potter, is that the fans of Harry Potter are smart enough to know it is fiction.
(July 10, 2018 at 3:34 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Really, can someone tell me how many different interpretations of Genesis are there? Christians clobber us non-stop for not taking Book Of Genesis for granted but which interpretation? They themselves can't agree on what is the right interpretation. These are that I know:

(EDIT documentary is actually "Mysterious Origins of Man" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQU9AhPnwsk )

why not read it yourself and make up your own mind? why seek knowledge from those who know nothing about what you seek? they only know how to hide from the message not understand it.

If you want to understand creation read chapter 1 as the first 7 days. meaning read the order of creation from day ne to day 7. Now understand this will take you through to genesis 2:3 they did this because the priest who assigned the chapter and verses did not understand what was being communicated in chapter 2:4

Now read chapter 2:4 as if it were a different story. and it will tell you that on the day God made land but before there were plants or rain (some time on day 3) He created a garden then created a man he named Adam and placed in the garden on day 3. Meaning 1/2 through day three the whole of chapter 2 happens apart from the rest of creation. That everything in the garden was made to a modern standard or what was modern 6000 years ago. why 6000 years ago? because that is the point we can trace our genealogies back to the YEC have it 1/2 right in that that 6000 was the exodus of the garden and not the start of creation. why? because the bible does not give a timeline from the end of creation to the exodus of the garden..

If you read chapter one and two as they are subdivided into book chapter and verse you create automatically a timeline that begins 6000 years ago. the problem with that is the chapter 2 does not end and chapter 3 begins. chronologically chapter 2 ends on day 4 of the chapter 1 narrative. meaning after the garden and everything in it was complete day 4 of creation begins and ends, then day 5 ect... so chapter two is not a chronological consistent with chapter one and 3. 

Matter of fact in chapters 4 through the end of adam life there are several things the bible mentions that prove life outside the garden was moving along at a much different pace than life inside the garden. meaning the men and women Adam's children married and had kids with, the city of nod cain ran off too and all the other things that once counted as a contradiction or paradox in the creation story. it all comes together if you just read what is on page and not pay attention to the notations. Day 4.5 God creates the garden and everything in it apart from the rest of creation. day 6 God created man outside the garden...

Now because there was no timeline given as to how long man was in the garden, that leaves room for you evolutionist... meaning A&E could have been in the garden 1 day a year or a bazillion years or whatever evolution says it needs. the only thing we do know is when they came out which was about 6000 years ago.
(July 10, 2018 at 3:34 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Really, can someone tell me how many different interpretations of Genesis are there? 

There;s only one that matters...the rabbinic interpretation.  The people who came up with the story never thought it was literal in the first place.

It was intended as religious metaphor, poetry, not a news report from the front of theologically unimportant details. On it;s own merits it succeeds at that. Why Some Christians™ feel the need to rob magic book is beyond me.

Drich, for example..up there twisting his scrote trying to reconcile contradictory narratives. The compilers didn;t give a shit. They knew that the narratives were mismatched but it just wasn;t important to them because they didn;t need it to be true in the way that a bathsit creationist does.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 10, 2018 at 10:15 am)Khemikal Wrote:
(July 10, 2018 at 3:34 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Really, can someone tell me how many different interpretations of Genesis are there? 

There;s only one that matters...the rabbinic interpretation.  The people who came up with the story never thought it was literal in the first place.  

It was intended as religious metaphor, poetry, not a news report from the front of theologically unimportant details.  On it;s own merits it succeeds at that.  Why Some Christians™ feel the need to rob magic book is beyond me.

Drich, for example..up there twisting his scrote trying to reconcile contradictory narratives.  The compilers didn;t give a shit.   They knew that the narratives were mismatched but it just wasn;t important to them because they didn;t need it to be true in the way that a bathsit creationist does.

If anything I've simplified it and now it reads, and it reads as it does on page. the rabbinic interpretation has one learn the oral traditions first, why it is to be taken metaphorically and 50 other instances where one has to take what has been written to be literal in a figurative way.

Again they could not reconcile the creation narrative as written to fit known truth, the way I show does. or at least provides the reader a path to incorporate what we think we know into the literal garden narrative.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 9316 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  There are no answers in Genesis LinuxGal 248 19915 March 24, 2023 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5109 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheist Bible Study 1: Genesis GrandizerII 614 68253 March 9, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 29443 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Free interpretation of the Genesis 3:5 KJV theBorg 19 3712 November 13, 2016 at 2:03 am
Last Post: RiddledWithFear
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4887 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18292 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Genesis - The Prequel! Time Traveler 12 3247 May 17, 2016 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Love333
  Rewriting the bible part 1 - Genesis dyresand 4 1948 March 12, 2016 at 3:14 am
Last Post: robvalue