Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do if you disagree with a law?
What do you do if you disagree with a law?
I'm asking this question based on Boru's question on a different thread where he asks what would you do if restaurants become banned.

I honestly don't know what I'd personally do about that, probably moan and complain about it but would I quit my job to go down to London to personally protest to the government?  Or maybe I would just think it's not worth my job and my time and maybe I can go to some illegal underground restaurants.

The government already has laws I don't agree with, for example illegal prostitute and illegal marijuana.  Plus spending taxes on things I also don't agree with.  But my life isn't that bad due to these things, at the moment it's not worth me making a fuss over.
  Prostitution is only illegal because no one in power wants to be the guy to say they want prostitution legalized, its basically not punished by law enforcement in the slightest, at least where I live, there's a brothel in my town that's been open for about 15 years, everyone knows what it is and if the police don't know they must be the only ones who don't.  I think it's basically the same for marijuana, no one involved in politics wants to be the guy who wants to legalize marijuana, except that is a law the police do tend to enforce.

So I suppose my questions relating to this would be what is the best thing to do if you think a law is stupid?  How is the best way to express it?  What laws do you think are stupid ( I think that topic might have been covered before in a thread though)?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: What do you do if you disagree with a law?
I vote for those who share my views, if the issue is that important to me.

I would practice civil disobedience in the event the law was that obnoxious to my views.

I routinely break laws which I consider unjust.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 22, 2015 at 6:54 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I vote for those who share my views, if the issue is that important to me.

I would practice civil disobedience in the event the law was that obnoxious to my views.

What if there was no one to vote for who shared your views?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

I guess I missed the other thread.  Why would restaurants be banned?
(November 22, 2015 at 7:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I guess I missed the other thread.  Why would restaurants be banned?

It was just a hypothetical question on the thread "What would you do if............"  There's really no reasons why they would be banned.  There could be reasons to ban certain foods or drinks though, like all these energy drinks.

Shoot up a police station or court building.
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 22, 2015 at 7:12 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(November 22, 2015 at 6:54 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I vote for those who share my views, if the issue is that important to me.

What if there was no one to vote for who shared your views?

Then I decide if disobedience is worth the trouble, and act accordingly.

(November 22, 2015 at 7:31 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(November 22, 2015 at 7:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I guess I missed the other thread.  Why would restaurants be banned?

It was just a hypothetical question on the thread "What would you do if............"  There's really no reasons why they would be banned.  There could be reasons to ban certain foods or drinks though, like all these energy drinks.

Ah.  I remember when NY's mayor Bloomberg tried to limit the size of soda cups.  Didn't work out so well.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...-overreach

Quote:New York Big-Soda Ban Rejected by State’s Highest Court
Legally speaking, some States' constitutions grant the right of resistance or disobedience which basically means you can disobey a law if you believe it is against your country's constitution and fundamental principles. So, if you think a law goes against your Human rights you can disobey it and it's possible to use courts of law to request the declaration of unconstitutionality to ban the law.

However, simply disagreeing for ideological or otherwise moral reasons does not give you a right to break the law. Dura Lex, Sed Lex. Of course, it's not a crime if you don't get caught.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The hearings and a matter of law. Brian37 0 211 June 29, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4041 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  LAW and CIVILIZATION senorlegalo 64 4286 January 19, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] What's the point? Trump and the GOP are clearly above the law no matter what you say GODZILLA 21 2394 May 21, 2019 at 10:46 am
  Anti Trans Bathroom Law Proganada is Kind Of Misandrist Amarok 30 3249 March 7, 2018 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Wow Can't Say I Disagree Minimalist 10 3132 December 13, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Athiestforum.org is a terrorist hole; accrding to new Saudi law. Human Rights Watch WinterHold 16 3141 November 24, 2017 at 5:51 pm
  Do you agree or disagree with this phrase about those who serve in the Millitary? NuclearEnergy 33 4362 October 25, 2017 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Kosh
  The GOP once again suppressing voters who disagree with them NuclearEnergy 27 6903 June 20, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  What Is This All Men Are Equal Under The Law Shit? Minimalist 10 3346 May 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy