Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you agree or disagree with this phrase about those who serve in the Millitary?
Do you agree or disagree with this phrase about those who serve in the Millitary?
"Everyone who serves in the Military is a hero"

I personally feel we put those who serve in the armed forces or in the police and fire department on a way to high of a pedestal. I mean, it's great that they're serving. It's a sacrifice, but they choose to. 

*Just so you know, this has NOTHING to do with the recent story regarding the WLB and the Gold Star family. I just feel as if Americans have a cult like feelings when it comes to America.

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Do you agree or disagree with this phrase about those who serve in the Millitary?
I certainly don't view them as heroes.

I give them credit for having the nerve to do what they do, but that's about it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Do you agree or disagree with this phrase about those who serve in the Millitary?
I do not. I served, I did my duty, "hero" is reserved for those who went far above the call of duty and gave their life in the process, IMO.

A great many veterans feel uncomfortable being called that, in light of those who did not survive.
No, it's as simple as that. Service =/= hero.

Edit: However, I am grateful to all those that serve. It's something I don't think I'd be able to do.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Whether you're a hero or not should depend on your actions. Not what group yo belong to.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

This 'hero' business started when people began to feel guilty about the shabby treatment many Vietnam vets experienced. So now every person who serves is a 'hero' -- even if their motivation for joining was to get some money together for college and their most hazardous duty may have been the possibility of fucking up a requisition order stateside.

I appreciate people's service. I don't worship it. And calling every person who serves a hero cheapens the word. It should be reserved for those who went above and beyond and made extraordinary sacrifices on the field of battle. Period.
In many cases I view them as victims of a system which does not give a flying fuck about them.

The word "hero" has lost all meaning.
(October 23, 2017 at 5:56 pm)It_Was_me Wrote: "Everyone who serves in the Military is a hero"

I personally feel we put those who serve in the armed forces or in the police and fire department on a way to high of a pedestal. I mean, it's great that they're serving. It's a sacrifice, but they choose to. 

*Just so you know, this has NOTHING to do with the recent story regarding the WLB and the Gold Star family. I just feel as if Americans have a cult like feelings when it comes to America.

Everyone? Even the traitors, war criminals, and those who never actually get into combat?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
They're ALL heroes.  Unless they were like, you know, captured or something...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't think many people would have the opinion that everyone who serves in the military is a hero.  Usually people only have that opinion of people who serve in their countries military or allies, and even then there would be people who are exempt like people who commit war crimes.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 828 61568 Yesterday at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why are those who support Trump defending him so much GODZILLA 14 1685 June 14, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  So What Are Those "Christian" Values, Dickwad? Minimalist 11 1848 April 30, 2018 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Will those cocksnots in the GOP ever grow a spine? GODZILLA 21 3799 March 13, 2018 at 7:12 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Saudi Arabia: how did the U.K agree to sign weapon deals with it? WinterHold 6 1110 March 12, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Wow Can't Say I Disagree Minimalist 10 3181 December 13, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Those sad Trump internet trolls/tough guys NuclearEnergy 11 2563 July 16, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What are those die hard Trump defenders getting in return for their loyalty? NuclearEnergy 16 4780 July 12, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  My favorite phrase: What if Obama had done this? NuclearEnergy 9 3186 June 21, 2017 at 12:44 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The GOP once again suppressing voters who disagree with them NuclearEnergy 27 6950 June 20, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf