Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you consider the hijab/burqa degrading to women and why?
Would you consider the hijab/burqa degrading to women and why?
Personally I believe so, to me the hijab is a symbol of subservience to male domination (and no I'm not a feminist before any MRAs attack me) in societies where women are seen as nothing more as conduits for sexual relief that men are entitled to. Women in such societies are taught to believe that revealing their body to anybody with the exception of close family members and their husbands is shameful and that covering it up to strangers and outsiders is modest and acceptable. It is an atavistic practice which in my opinion should have died out during the 20th century. Same with the burqa.
RE: Would you consider the hijab/burqa degrading to women and why?
Yeah kind of, because it implies that the problem is women, not men who can't restrain themselves. We have to hide our women's bodies because we never learned to keep our hands to ourselves.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's degrading to women, but at the same time if women want to wear it (i.e. they choose to) I'm fine with them wearing it. Banning items of clothing is just fucking ridiculous in my opinion.
I do think it is degrading. It's objectifying. It's basically treating a woman like nothing but sex objects and objects of temptation that need to be hidden.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Degrading? Not necessarily. Silly, definitely. But then I don't live in that culture.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I think it's degrading to both men and women. It says to women that it's their fault (and sinful) if men lust after them, and it says to men that they cannot control themselves.

If a woman wants to wear it, that's her choice. But I think the concept is degrading nonetheless.
(November 24, 2015 at 10:49 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I do think it is degrading. It's objectifying. It's basically treating a woman like nothing but sex objects and objects of temptation that need to be hidden.

It treats them like property which has to be protected from other men who can't keep it in their pants.
It is degrading to humanity in general, although not as degrading to humanity in general as asserting we somehow need saving through "faith" in a demented maglomanical layabout malcontent who got crucified and become called "Christ".
(November 24, 2015 at 10:45 pm)Tiberius Wrote: It's degrading to women, but at the same time if women want to wear it (i.e. they choose to) I'm fine with them wearing it. Banning items of clothing is just fucking ridiculous in my opinion.

I think about the only reason you'd want to wear clothing that covered everything but your eyes is because your culture conditioned you for it. Even the most conservative western dress code doesn't make you look like a Ringwraith.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I think if you look at high divorce rates in some societies and some of the high cheating rates in some countries, I think from that perspective, these type of rules aimed at preventing the stuff that leads up to the cheating is important.  

Plus in the past, you couldn't even DNA test who your father was. So this whole emphasis on these aspects of society I think has a wisdom.

Naturally I don't think showing your hair is immodest but I think there is a wisdom, that, now with time, is becoming more and more manifest to some of us in applying these rules.

Or you can believe your husband and wife will be faithful with 30%-60% cheat rate in US for example. 2-3% of children are believed to product of infidelity.

Studies also show serial monogamy is very hard (not impossible to do). So I would say divine help regarding this matter is welcomed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-Hijab movment in Iran Eclectic 192 17367 August 26, 2023 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: AVMXF
  Women-Life-Freedom Movement in Iran Leonardo17 69 6121 April 7, 2023 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  The hijab (etc) is immodest BrokenQuill92 156 11879 October 2, 2022 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  [Quranic Reflection]: The tranquillity men find in women and women find in men WinterHold 62 7646 October 22, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Quranic Reflection]: Women have the right to state their own rights in the marriage WinterHold 34 4499 June 30, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Beating women in Islam WinterHold 255 38043 April 9, 2019 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Saudi cleric says women too stupid to drive zebo-the-fat 38 6763 September 30, 2017 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Women allowed to dive in Saudi Arabia; more talk WinterHold 2 1257 September 28, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Niqab and Muslim Women WinterHold 34 9310 August 31, 2017 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Islam and Women Lebneni Murtad 48 7901 March 6, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: WinterHold