Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polygamy vs. Communal Living
Polygamy vs. Communal Living
In between reading threads started by people with some serious anger issues/ superiority complexes/ Dunning Kruger, for the past couple of days I've been nursing my sore muscles and marathoning Big Love on HBO, a series about a polygamous family who have three houses connected by their backyards, and roots in the FLDS church.

As some of you know, the FLDS became what it is, mostly, because the LDS (mormons) began denying the sanctity of polygamy (or more accurately: polygyny), formerly a major tenet of their belief system. The FLDS, IRL, is led by their prophet Warren Jeffs who is now in prison on about a million counts of child molestation, among other things. They're known for forcibly marrying fourteen-year-olds to eighty-year-olds who already have twenty wives.

The FLDS ideas aside, Big Love is interesting, in that the family is fairly well-off, and regardless of their polygamous lifestyle, they attempt to pass off a "mainstream" LDS life in Salt Lake City. In the show, they're constantly trying to throw neighbors, officials, etc. off the scent of their polygamy to the point where it causes rifts in their relationships. They also make it a point to tell us that the husband is only legally married to the first wife.

I don't understand the problem/ illegality of this: if he's only legally married to one person, what's wrong with the way they live? Why are they always watching their own backs? Communes aren't illegal, as far as I know, or am I missing something? I also think polygamy should be legal for consenting adults, but that's beyond the scope of what I'm asking here.

In this scenario, which isn't all that uncommon, what is the difference between polygamy and communal living?

Anyone who has watched the show: please no spoilers! I'm only through season one Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
RE: Polygamy vs. Communal Living
Watch Sister Wives on TLC. Kody has four wives and now 20 children. They live in four separate houses in the same cul-de-sac in Utah. I personally like the show. Would I ever want that for myself? No. But if the dynamic fits their family, I say leave them alone. None of the wives are children. All are in their 30's or 40's. The wives get along seemingly well and they each have a special ring for one another, outside of the wedding bands they all wear.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Maybe they're trying to "throw them off" not because what they are doing is illegal (since it isn't), but because they're worried about being looked down on? Never seen the show, so that's only my best guess.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
As long as everyone involved is consenting adults, I don't see a problem. Of course LDS has a history with non-consenting, under-age girls so outsiders are going to be suspicious. Then of course, there is the Christian Right and their intolerance for any relationship outside of one man, one woman.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
It's my understanding that without welfare the FLDS system wouldn't work. I think the secondary wives are encouraged to apply.

As for LDS, their sacred tomes still extol the praises of multiple wifeys, the only impediment currently is a little executive fiat that could be easily disavowed by subsequent church poobahs.

Curiously, the original original revelation conferring polygamy upon the Mormons was only operative in regards to Native American women, so that their offspring would be more white and more delightful. And they could only be secondary wives.

Brigham Young tried a couple of them but found them lacking and he abandoned them in Council Bluffs, IA when he ran off the Utah. Despite receiving the revelation directly from God, Joseph Smith found the revelation, as received, to be imperfect and after some further tinkering, he managed to overhaul God's Word into something he thought he could use. To date, no one has found any Native American wives in Old Horny Joe's harem.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

One wife is enough trouble.
I'm pretty sure than polygamy differs from communal living, in that a communal arrangement doesn't necessarily involve sex or marriage. When I was at uni, I shared a house with eight other people of assorted genders. While I can't say that there were no hook-ups (it was none of my business), but I never had sex with anyone in the house. But it was 'communal' in the truest sense of the word - we all shared resources and responsibilities to keep the house running.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2015 at 2:31 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Maybe they're trying to "throw them off" not because what they are doing is illegal (since it isn't), but because they're worried about being looked down on? Never seen the show, so that's only my best guess.

Well, there's definitely an aspect of that: being worried about being shunned by their non-polygamous peers, but there's more in the script about the legality of the whole thing.

(November 29, 2015 at 2:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm pretty sure than polygamy differs from communal living, in that a communal arrangement doesn't necessarily involve sex or marriage. When I was at uni, I shared a house with eight other people of assorted genders. While I can't say that there were no hook-ups (it was none of my business), but I never had sex with anyone in the house. But it was 'communal' in the truest sense of the word - we all shared resources and responsibilities to keep the house running.

Boru

Of course, that's one way of living communally, but surely not the only legal way.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Ok well . . . I doubt my questions about these types of situations will be popular. I was raised religious, very sheltered, with a right-wing view of family drilled into my head. I'm fine with my same-sex friends who have adopted children. I have no problem with mixed race or mixed religion couples, all ideas that would make my parent's heads explode.

But when I see a "family" that is a man with four wives and 20 children, I ask:  1) good grief, is he a millionaire?  Who is paying for all of this?  2) How in the world does he give proper attention to his kids?  How does each child learn that Daddy loves him/her and thinks they are special?  And probably the biggest question: 3) How can he even claim to love each of the women?  He likes the sex, sure.  He probably would think life was perfect if they were all deaf-mutes, and he didn't have to learn their names.

-- And why do we not see a female with more than one husband?  Surely it would be allowed now.  Women can have jobs, own property, etc.  
I think that these situations intrinsically devalue women.  I think that one of the reasons that you don't see multiple husbands is that the guys wouldn't even consider sharing.  They're in competition, the one who wins gets the sex slave, the loser has to go get his own.

I'm a fan of monogamy.  At the very least, serial monogamy, as a tip of my hat to friends who got divorced and are now in a better place because of it.  I can't imagine true devotion to more than one partner.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
That's weird. I don't see why it would be illegal to live with and have sex with multiple woman who have your kids. He's only legally married to one, so I don't see why the rest is illegal.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marriage is a man and a woman living together rado84 46 7769 July 18, 2015 at 7:48 am
Last Post: abaris
  Cost of living, OP/ED........ Brian37 20 2949 February 14, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Sad Living in My car In a Church Parking Lot... Ami529 86 13669 July 7, 2014 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Living in the Ghetto LivingNumbers6.626 6 1831 June 12, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: John V
  An atheist living in Iraq Brian37 1 781 February 7, 2014 at 7:17 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  What do you do for a living? Lemonvariable72 84 9503 February 2, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: FlyingNarwhal
  What would you LIKE to do for a living Jacob(smooth) 58 6656 February 2, 2014 at 6:43 am
Last Post: Mystical
  What I like about living up north Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 1901 November 24, 2013 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Anyone remember the band Living Colour? Brian37 11 3349 March 8, 2013 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Living with Anxiety Disorder and Aspergers SkepticalMoron 19 4023 November 14, 2012 at 8:41 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko