Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living in My car In a Church Parking Lot...
Sad 
Living in My car In a Church Parking Lot...
So, after I became homeless February, my car eventually wouldn't even start without having to be jump started every time because the battery was just gone. I've been given permission to park in a church parking lot and have been stuck there since November of last year. Even though I'm not Christian, I thought maybe some of that Christian generosity wouldn't be so bad. I was always up front, saying that I'm not really a religious person though I haven't come outright and said I was an atheist. I was given a free bible, access to their wifi, and people are always offering to pray for me. I've been given a few dollars here and there, and people have said they would look for opportunities to help me get into some stable housing, but all I've been offered so far is the opportunity to spend nights in coed homeless shelters that treat everyone like criminals.

So, recently, I've been told that I can't stay in this parking lot forever and of course I know that. I think part of it is because I try to avoid the Sunday services I'm always invited to. I went to them at first, but the only help anyone has provided is the "power of prayer." There were some talks about raising some funds, and some people have told me they've given more than usual at collection so the church could help me, but it hasn't even been offered.

I'm just stuck. Depressed, crying all the time, stuck. The most I can do right now is try to find another parking lot to get my car to. I've been able to get limited assistance because I'm autistic, but that's it. I even got a free state-funded cell phone from SafeLink. I'm willing to give my # to anyone who wants to call and is willing to help to see how real my situation is and that I'm a real person. I only get 250 minutes a month, though.

Anyway, the point of all this is, is I'm looking for help from the atheist community who can empathize with my situation and can help in anyway, even if it is just sharing the fundraiser page I created at: <snip>

I am not good at this stuff and I've never raised funds for anything. I've looked at other fundraisers that were successful and I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. It seems like I would have better luck if I were a cute, homeless puppy that needed fertility treatments. But I'm not. I'm a real person who just wants to finish my degree, get my debt to a manageable level, and have an actual place to live with a refrigerator and a bathroom. Sad

Also, I would welcome any fundraising tips from anyone who has some experience. I've done everything the website has told me to do, but I don't really have any friends or know anyone that has the resources to help me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
RE: Living in My car In a Church Parking Lot...
Try the WWOOF.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I don't believe this for a moment.

We've got homeless people crawling all over our city and 99% of them deserve to be homeless.

This smells like a scam. If you have a computer and a working knowledge of how to type the English language, and the ability to set up a web page and express yourself without any trouble whatsoever, than you have MORE than what it takes to get out into the real world and get a fucking job. Autistic my ass.

A scammer preying on the gullible.
[Image: Evolution.png]

[Image: 1371483523159.jpg]
(July 6, 2014 at 3:21 pm)Ami529 Wrote: I would welcome any fundraising tips...
Maybe getting a job would be a good method of "raising funds" Thinking
(July 6, 2014 at 4:03 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Maybe getting a job would be a good method of "raising funds" Thinking

Yeah, I'm sure they just hand out jobs to homeless people.
(July 6, 2014 at 4:09 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(July 6, 2014 at 4:03 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Maybe getting a job would be a good method of "raising funds" Thinking

Yeah, I'm sure they just hand out jobs to homeless people.
I was homeless, living in my car for 18 months, and I had a job the entire time. So yes... If someone (homeless or otherwise) makes the effort, and has follow-through, then there are jobs for whomever most applies themselves.
Wow. Well, getting a job isn't easy when you are "living" in the middle of nowhere. Nobody in the city is going to let you park for free for any period of time. I've been parked her for 8 months. I have limited transportation options at the moment, I don't have an address, and yes, I am autistic with extremely limited work experience. But, besides all that, I'm just completely shocked by the responses. I'm not used to a lack of empathy from other atheists. I firmly believe in skepticism, but if it would make anyone who is interested in helping me with the situation I'm in, I would gladly give them my phone number as long as they understood that I only get 250 minutes of free time per month on this phone and I cannot afford to buy more minutes so the call has to be short.

It takes a lot of courage for people to ask for help. Please remember that your words hurt, even on the Internet. There are also plenty of ways to help even if you can't help financially. You can like the page, and you can show support by becoming a supporter, you can share the page, or you can even just send hugs to show that you care about another person. I'm not just asking for financial help. I've also been struggling with depression and isolation...
(July 6, 2014 at 4:13 pm)ShaMan Wrote: I was homeless, living in my car for 18 months, and I had a job the entire time. So yes... If someone (homeless or otherwise) makes the effort, and has follow-through, then there are jobs for whomever most applies themselves.

So if you had one the entire time then you didn't apply for a job whilst actually being homeless. So how can you say homeless people can get jobs? You only had one because you had one from before you became homeless. Most businesses won't go near you if you can't give them a home address when you apply.
(July 6, 2014 at 4:14 pm)Ami529 Wrote: Please remember that your words hurt, even on the Internet.
My "words" are concise, accurate, sincere and honest (and furthermore contain personal experience) - I made no insult, nor did I use any offensive or derogatory language - neither did I berate you in any manner. Any perceived offense is your own projection onto what was written in earnest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's see your electric car do THIS... onlinebiker 18 1151 November 11, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your damn electric car needs to make noise brewer 29 3563 July 16, 2019 at 7:40 am
  Your next car onlinebiker 100 7475 January 30, 2019 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  New (Old) Car Fireball 4 1022 May 15, 2018 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Which is grammatically more right - "red new car" or "new red car" ErGingerbreadMandude 55 6962 January 24, 2018 at 6:48 am
  Anyone drive a plug-in electric car? Jackalope 48 8272 September 21, 2017 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Should I have posted a poll with the car tow thread? And, if so, am I a jerk? Whateverist 24 2915 May 3, 2016 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Am I a jerk for having a car towed which was parked in my driveway? Whateverist 36 5529 April 29, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Polygamy vs. Communal Living rexbeccarox 14 2106 November 30, 2015 at 1:52 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  What was the favorite car you ever owned? abaris 37 4819 September 29, 2015 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire