Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The New Atheists are back — and dumber than ever"
"The New Atheists are back — and dumber than ever"
(http://theweek.com/articles/552685/new-a...-than-ever)

In this engaging article, the author sets out to point out the mistakes Daniel Dennett makes in an editorial. Daniel predictably spins the facts to make it sound like the data supports atheism, and it called out, point by point, on his errors. But along the way was this interesting description of why atheistic criticisms of theism fail:

Quote:The faith that the New Atheists set out to mock, refute, and dispel was invariably the least impressive, least informed, least sophisticated, most easily dismissed form of the world's great religious traditions. If faith for you is believing in the most scripturally literalistic, doctrinally fundamentalist, ahistorical, credulous, theologically illiterate variant of devotion, well, then Harris-Dawkins-Hitchens probably rocked your world. But as any reader with even a cursory religious education discovered by about page 3 of any of their books, the not-great God of the New Atheists was nothing more than a big old Straw Man in the Sky.
Is atheism built on one big strawman? If so, that would make atheism irrational.
RE: "The New Atheists are back — and dumber than ever"
I have predicted the author of this thread from the title alone. Am I psychic?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

What you don't seem to get is, many of us don't give a shit what anybody says on atheism. Many of us don't give a shit about atheist posterheads also.

What you also don't seem to get is, that some of us were atheists, long before the internet was even invented. It's just the absence of belief making me an atheist. Based on earth's and the universe's history. So, go on, post your webshit. As long as science doesn't come up with a created earth and human's not being descended from primates, I'm rather happy with what I am.

Strawman? I think, I said it before. I don't give a shit, since scientific evidence is piled up against you, baby.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 24, 2015 at 5:15 pm)Delicate Wrote: (http://theweek.com/articles/552685/new-a...-than-ever)

In this engaging article, the author sets out to point out the mistakes Daniel Dennett makes in an editorial. Daniel predictably spins the facts to make it sound like the data supports atheism, and it called out, point by point, on his errors. But along the way was this interesting description of why atheistic criticisms of theism fail:

Quote:The faith that the New Atheists set out to mock, refute, and dispel was invariably the least impressive, least informed, least sophisticated, most easily dismissed form of the world's great religious traditions. If faith for you is believing in the most scripturally literalistic, doctrinally fundamentalist, ahistorical, credulous, theologically illiterate variant of devotion, well, then Harris-Dawkins-Hitchens probably rocked your world. But as any reader with even a cursory religious education discovered by about page 3 of any of their books, the not-great God of the New Atheists was nothing more than a big old Straw Man in the Sky.
Is atheism built on one big strawman? If so, that would make atheism irrational.

So what you're saying is that believers don't follow their own holy scriptures.

Yeah, I knew that already, thanks.

I thought strawmanning was used in place of evidence, not because of it?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Atheism is non-belief in gods. It isn't a strawman of anything.
This Damon Linker dude fails at Math.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(December 24, 2015 at 5:43 pm)Sal Wrote: This Damon Linker dude fails at Math.

Explain! I don't feel like reading the piece right now Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 24, 2015 at 5:48 pm)Quantum Wrote:
(December 24, 2015 at 5:43 pm)Sal Wrote: This Damon Linker dude fails at Math.

Explain! I don't feel like reading the piece right now Smile

From the article:
Quote:Muslims have an average of 3.1 children per woman, while Christians have 2.7. That contrasts with 1.7 for the unaffiliated, a rate significantly below replacement level. If only the religious would restrain their breeding, Dennett might say, education and the technological proliferation of information would work their wonders and produce a global decline in faith. But as it is, every person who  ends up being replaced by two (or more) who are raised to believe in the old superstitions. The atheistic truth just can't keep up.

What this wanker fails to account for is apostates. Sure the non-religious have a 1.7 birthrate, but what about the apostates? That's why non-theism (unaffiliated/non-religious/atheists/et. al) is growing. But as Dennet and Harris have noted, this isn't due to some atheistic cause or whatever, but merely the free flow of information and education.

If you want the real numbers, just google "religious affiliation worldwide".
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Atheism isn't built on anything. Atheism isn't even really anything. It's a lack of believe. We don't have names for not believing in Unicorns, or Dragons, or anything except for Gods. Which is rather ridiculous when you think about it.

I didn't read the article, but if we have to defend everything every atheist says, then every Christian must defend everything every Christian says.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1914 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  I love cats and monkies more, than god Interaktive 14 1036 August 26, 2022 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 984 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4473 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4473 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists are emotionally stronger than theists Alexmahone 92 13677 June 21, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2198 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8595 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5444 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Jeff Sparrow on the need to save ourselves from the sickishness of the New Atheists Whateverist 62 8534 March 21, 2016 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Whateverist