Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Generation
A New Generation
Hello everyone!

I'm a very politically active student in my community, and I plan to run for office sometime in the future to fight for things such as an increased minimum wage, more college affordability and more funding for public transit in my state. One thing that frustrates me to no end is how important a candidate's religious affiliation is to voters -- and namely how the nonreligious are looked upon negatively by the public. As an atheist (though I rarely use that term publicly), I feel constrained by these perceptions and am heartbroken to see such prejudice.

I personally have no problem at all with religion in and of itself. In fact, one of the organizations which I'm a leader for uses faith to build support for progressive initiatives, and I work with many priests, imams, and rabbis on a regular basis. But I do have a big problem with people using faith to justify denying citizens basic rights (abortion, marriage), the treatment of religious minorities as second-class citizens (as is the case with Muslims and atheists in America), and so on.

And, of course, I often clash with relatives and elders over the existence of God. Accused of "disrespect" and such of tradition.

So, there we are. Hope to have fun here.
RE: A New Generation
Hey there, welcome Smile

I think your political aspirations are fantastic, and I wish you all the very best with them. I find your views on religion very reasonable. Working together is the key to success, while standing up to harm and unfair treatment wherever it arises.

I hope you stick around!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
welcome !
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Welcome!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome from Tennessee!

Hope you stick around.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Quote:I'm a very politically active student in my community, and I plan to run for office sometime in the future to fight for things such as an increased minimum wage, more college affordability and more funding for public transit in my state.

You must be a democrat.  Good.  We need more democrats and fewer morons.

Welcome.
Welcome
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 29, 2015 at 2:43 am)J.S.C. Wrote: Hello everyone!

I'm a very politically active student in my community, and I plan to run for office sometime in the future to fight for things such as an increased minimum wage, more college affordability and more funding for public transit in my state.

Just make sure, you don't get bought by corporate donations.

Welcome.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Hey! Welcome. Smile
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(December 30, 2015 at 8:02 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Welcome

(December 30, 2015 at 8:07 pm)abaris Wrote:
(December 29, 2015 at 2:43 am)J.S.C. Wrote: Hello everyone!

I'm a very politically active student in my community, and I plan to run for office sometime in the future to fight for things such as an increased minimum wage, more college affordability and more funding for public transit in my state.

Just make sure, you don't get bought by corporate donations.

Welcome.
I'd sooner become a perennial "Vermin Supreme" candidate than become coddle to harmful corporate interests in my city.
Elections for your city council and state legislature are just as important as those for President -- elected officials at all levels must be truly representative of the people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New New New Quid 23 4854 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman