Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Once Upon A Time
Once Upon A Time
Once upon a time there was a man who believed in God. He didn't know much about him but he did know that one should listen to the Preacher at church and believe in God.

His children saw through this and so once upon another time his children believed in science much the same as their dad had believed in God.

So once upon a third time their children believed in God.

Once upon a time they will see past what they want to believe. A machine will show them.
RE: Once Upon A Time
Quote:much the same as their dad had believed in God
Well, except thats not quite true now is it?

You stated that the father didn't know much about God, but rather appealed to the authority of a preacher. The difference between this and "believing" in science is that through science we can know much more than the father ever knew, and we don't have to appeal to authority to do it. Science shares the research with everyone, and anyone can redo the experiments to see the results for themselves. We teach science everywhere, and since its conception has accelerated the achievements of mankind to the points where there are almost no limits to what we can discover.

Science isn't about "wanting" to believe anything. It is accepting the results that the method gives us.
Yes. We don't believe things because we 'want to'. Belief is not a matter of policy. We believe something because the evidence shows it to be true. We don't believe something when there's no evidence of its truth or existence. And no reason to believe it.
Right?
To put it another way:

#1, Evolution tells us we are the result of billions of mutations that were passed onto ancestors who survived, and that we are simply one of many branches on an ever growing tree that contains all life on Earth. We are technically speaking no more "special" or "important" than any of the other creatures on the ends of the branches, because they are all (like us) at the most recent evolutionary event of their branch.

#2, The Bible tells us that God made us all perfect in his image, and that he loves all of us and has created the entire universe for us. We have dominion over all animals and are separate from them because we are his chosen people.

And you think I "want to" believe #1?

Trust me, I'd love for #2 to be true, but it simply isn't. All the evidence points to #1 because it is a scientific explanation that was born of the facts, not out of an already written book.
I wouldn't want #2 if its without evolution. I would find it boring if we were all 'created' so easily and instantly. If there is a God I'd rather he used evolution anyway. It would be better that he could do it without the suffering somehow (don't ask me how, he's God he should know).
I find it boring and pathetic if he just goes "alakazam!" and we're all here. Thats pretty damn boring. I think evolution is much more inspiring. And partly BECAUSE its not perfect and so easy to do. Its the process that is fascinating. There's nothing fascinating about the process of "alakazam", instant creation etc. If it could be called a process at all - as far as I'm concerned.
I think it would be best if there was evolution and a loving God somehow WITHOUT all the suffering in evolution. Nevertheless evolution is still inspiring. Its more interesting and inquisitive. Unlike instant 'alakazam' like creation.
That is, if I have understood you correctly?
(December 14, 2008 at 10:55 am)Daystar Wrote: Once upon a time there was a man who believed in God. He didn't know much about him but ...

Why did he believe in this god if he didn't know much about it?

Kyu
Because he wanted to? I dunno. Wishful thinking and/or indoctrination? Pascal's wager?
Fear?
Hypothetically speaking of course.
(December 14, 2008 at 11:18 am)Tiberius Wrote:
Quote:much the same as their dad had believed in God
Well, except thats not quite true now is it?

You stated that the father didn't know much about God, but rather appealed to the authority of a preacher. The difference between this and "believing" in science is that through science we can know much more than the father ever knew, and we don't have to appeal to authority to do it. Science shares the research with everyone, and anyone can redo the experiments to see the results for themselves. We teach science everywhere, and since its conception has accelerated the achievements of mankind to the points where there are almost no limits to what we can discover.

Science isn't about "wanting" to believe anything. It is accepting the results that the method gives us.

It is almost as if you have to believe that there couldn't possibly be an example of people who trust in science as blindly as some do in God. It is interesting how all of you do that repeatedly.

As if science is, like I keep suggesting, the new god. And everything about it absolutely must be perfect. It is a reflection of the religiosity obvious to everyone except those under its powerful grasp.
(December 14, 2008 at 11:28 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Yes. We don't believe things because we 'want to'. Belief is not a matter of policy. We believe something because the evidence shows it to be true. We don't believe something when there's no evidence of its truth or existence. And no reason to believe it.
Right?

Show me some evidence of that.
(December 14, 2008 at 12:02 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I wouldn't want #2 if its without evolution. I would find it boring if we were all 'created' so easily and instantly. If there is a God I'd rather he used evolution anyway. It would be better that he could do it without the suffering somehow (don't ask me how, he's God he should know).
I find it boring and pathetic if he just goes "alakazam!" and we're all here. Thats pretty damn boring. I think evolution is much more inspiring. And partly BECAUSE its not perfect and so easy to do. Its the process that is fascinating. There's nothing fascinating about the process of "alakazam", instant creation etc. If it could be called a process at all - as far as I'm concerned.
I think it would be best if there was evolution and a loving God somehow WITHOUT all the suffering in evolution. Nevertheless evolution is still inspiring. Its more interesting and inquisitive. Unlike instant 'alakazam' like creation.
That is, if I have understood you correctly?

I would like to see some evidence of your beloved evolution.

The burden of proof compels you! [waives the bone of a monkey's ass]

(December 14, 2008 at 12:20 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Why did he believe in this god if he didn't know much about it?

(December 14, 2008 at 12:34 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Because he wanted to? I dunno. Wishful thinking and/or indoctrination? Pascal's wager?
Fear?
Hypothetically speaking of course.

It is quite common. I think that it has more to do with culture and social reasons rather than fear or wishful thinking. I don't think Pascal's Wager has anything to do with anything except bad debates between the religious Atheists and Xians.
Trust blindly in science? If science has evidence you would believe it as long as you're not ignorant of it and you don't deny it. Thats not really "trust". Belief is not a matter of policy. If evidence is shown or found and you believe it then you believe it.
Trust in "God" however IS based on faith. It doesn't matter if there's no evidence you pretty much either consider faith itself as evidence of your belief in God. Or you fake belief.
Faith itself isn't evidence because faith itself is lack of evidence.
(December 14, 2008 at 7:21 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Trust blindly in science? If science has evidence you would believe it as long as you're not ignorant of it and you don't deny it. Thats not really "trust". Belief is not a matter of policy. If evidence is shown or found and you believe it then you believe it.
Trust in "God" however IS based on faith. It doesn't matter if there's no evidence you pretty much either consider faith itself as evidence of your belief in God. Or you fake belief.
Faith itself isn't evidence because faith itself is lack of evidence.

400! PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coming upon a smashed $70K truck. Jehanne 6 645 December 26, 2022 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Once, twice, three times a Brian. Brian37 14 941 March 22, 2021 at 7:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Upon reading this title, what first comes to mind? Foxaèr 8 351 November 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Ok, so I am a dumbass once again. Brian37 59 3192 June 27, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  You once loved it, but now... c172 38 5224 April 21, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  You once hated it, but now.... Foxaèr 27 3497 April 16, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: emjay
  Once again time for how much time you've spent here Foxaèr 23 2653 April 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Once you pop...that's great! c172 19 2720 November 24, 2017 at 4:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Halloween is almost upon us - boo! Foxaèr 23 3685 October 7, 2017 at 8:49 am
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8736 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm