Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:22 pm

Poll: which?
This poll is closed.
Manned mission to Mars
17.65%
3 17.65%
Submarine to the oceans on Europa
17.65%
3 17.65%
Orbiters to Uranus and/or Neptune
5.88%
1 5.88%
Robotic lander on Titan and submarine for it's methane lakes
0%
0 0%
Base on the Moon
29.41%
5 29.41%
Array of telescopes for even better search of exoplanets
0%
0 0%
Something else
17.65%
3 17.65%
Nothing cuz I don't give a hoot
11.76%
2 11.76%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which space mission would you choose?
Which space mission would you choose?
Considering one of the latest news is that drilling probe planned to be sent on Europa was gutted by Trump (although flyby is still on) on possible account of putting people on Mars it seems that there are so many targets and so little money, that you have to make a Sophie's choice. Which one would you pick?

I've put orbiters to Uranus and Neptune and their moons because they were never seen up-close, except those flyby missions in the 70's by Voyagers.

I've put array of telescopes for even better search of exo-planets because I remember watching a documentary on TV years ago (I think in earls 00s) where they were talking how this will be done soon and even had computer animations of how it will look, but of-course it seems that the budget for that was cut.
RE: Which space mission would you choose?
Anything unmanned. Manned space travel is a mugs game, and is more about publicity than about science.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
As long as we're doing something that expands on our understanding of the universe, I'm happy. I'd probably just cross the moon base off the list and stick to the others.
A single manned mission to mars can pay for all other items on that list combined 20 times over.   And the astronomical cost of a stunt mission like that would like lead to a reaction that would suppress funding for space exploration in general for the next 50 years, as witnessed by the premature end to the apollo program and subsequent drastic reduction in space exploration budget that has not recovered to this day.

So I would pick every item on that list except the first and last.
I had to choose Manned mission to Mars, but submarine on Europa is a very strong second, if not #1.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I think we all know how the mission to a lunar ocean would go:
[Image: 20091218.gif]
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
The only thing cooler than a rocket, is a rocket with a submarine attached.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
While it would be fantastic to get to say Mars or further one think just as important if not more, is to build a meteor defense system. I don't think that gets talked about enough. Does humans no good to get to Mars if we don't protect earth while making that attempt.
Manned mission to mars.  Send the WLB after he is impeached for treason.
What makes you think I'm not on a space mission now?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  James Webb Space Telescope pics pocaracas 18 2234 December 8, 2022 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A Simple Demonstration of Space/Time Relativity Rhondazvous 14 2563 August 26, 2019 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Vince
  Space Shuttle video site zebo-the-fat 0 506 October 6, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  No perfect circles in space... Jehanne 42 7181 July 23, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Trump space force: US to set up sixth military branch zebo-the-fat 47 6943 June 22, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  How Do Scientists Know It's Space Expanding Not Galaxies Moving? Rhondazvous 43 9868 August 18, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1725 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  POLL: Is Space Continuous or Discrete? Severan 4 1850 July 14, 2017 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  What Did Einstein Mean when He Said Space is Curved? Rhondazvous 33 11299 June 16, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Quantum tunnelling for space travel... Iroscato 8 2950 November 22, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Whateverist