Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star wars: The portrayal of minority and female characters
Star wars: The portrayal of minority and female characters
First, please forgive me if this comes off as a drunk post, I was having a few drinks and watching the star wars prequels.

This inspired me to make a post because of how social justice warriors have been attacking star wars for the last while. I will limit this post to the original trilogy and wont mention the new movies. 
Now many attack princess leia as being a typical damsel in distress trope. While on the surface this may seem true, if you pay attention she is captured by the empire in the 4th movie because of the information she holds. Her being royalty is arguably one of the reasons they don't torture her to death. Despite this they do torture her using experimental techniques to acquire the information she has. Despite this, she does not break until the empire threatens her home world with total annihilation. This to me signifies a strong character with a admirable and deep set since of loyalty. We see this side of her character displayed again in return of the jedi, where instead of asking for luke's help, she decides to take matters in her own hands to save the man she loves. Now do to her underestimating jubba the hutt, she is taken prisoner by him and is forced to call on luke and his force abilities for help. She then proceeds to choke the male that enslaved her with the very chains he used to bind her. A very empowering message to women, if you ask me.
Next is another favorite of mine in the series, lando calraissian. He is arguably the only black character in the series, but instead of being a token black guy, he is morally complex. He understands that the empire is horrid, and calls han solo a friend. None the less he is forced to make the choice between protecting the people of cloud city, whom he is in charge of, or his personal loyalty. He makes the choice to betray han, not out of malice, a desire to protect his people. He later realizes that the ultimate safety of cloud city is best acheived via the restoration of the republic and joins the rebellion. 
Now I would like to contrast that with two facts. first although it is somewhat glossed over in the movies ( because their about luke skywalker not the rebellion) the leader of the rebellion is a woman. Secondly is that the two major villians of the series, are old white men(now obviously there is more too them then that, and that makes star wars great). 
Your thoughts? Can you thing of a complex and interesting movie from the same time frame that portrays minorities and women in such a interesting light?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Star wars: The portrayal of minority and female characters
(January 17, 2016 at 1:17 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: ...if you pay attention she is captured by the empire in the 1st movie because of the information she holds...

Fixed that for you.
(January 17, 2016 at 1:20 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(January 17, 2016 at 1:17 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: ...if you pay attention she is captured by the empire in the 1st movie because of the information she holds...

Fixed that for you.

I was working in order of canon not release.
Signifying nothing.
The Star Wars movies are f'ed up. When has any republic on Earth ever had a monarchy? It seems like Lucas missed out on civic classes. The Republic characters were insurrectionists and terrorists. The Jedi are evil guys, like ISIS. The movies are perfect examples of brainwashing, where you cheer for the bad guys (the Jedi) and condemn the good guys who want to restore law and tranquility to the galaxy (the empire, which only has one royal member, the emperor).
(January 17, 2016 at 2:47 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: The Star Wars movies are f'ed up. When has any republic on Earth ever had a monarchy? It seems like Lucas missed out on civic classes. The Republic characters were insurrectionists and terrorists. The Jedi are evil guys, like ISIS. The movies are perfect examples of brainwashing, where you cheer for the bad guys (the Jedi) and condemn the good guys who want to restore law and tranquility to the galaxy (the empire, which only has one royal member, the emperor).

Or you know, it could be just modeled after the American revolution. Bare in mind the people you called good guys murder several billion just to make a point.
Signifying nothing.
(January 17, 2016 at 3:19 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(January 17, 2016 at 2:47 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: The Star Wars movies are f'ed up.  When has any republic on Earth ever had a monarchy?  It seems like Lucas missed out on civic classes.  The Republic characters were insurrectionists and terrorists. The Jedi are evil guys, like ISIS. The movies are perfect examples of brainwashing, where you cheer for the bad guys (the Jedi) and condemn the good guys who want to restore law and tranquility to the galaxy (the empire, which only has one royal member, the emperor).

Or you know, it could be just modeled after the American revolution. Bare in mind the people you called good guys murder several billion just to make a point.

When you consider the scale of the galaxy and all of the inhabited worlds if you could stop an insurrection by destroying one planet wouldn't you do it?  Did the empire have unlimited resources to occupy hundreds of millions of planets?  How many life forms would die in a protracted galactic war?
WOG, I wonder when you'll get an avatar..? 3000+ posts no avatar?
(January 17, 2016 at 3:38 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(January 17, 2016 at 3:19 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Or you know, it could be just modeled after the American revolution. Bare in mind the people you called good guys murder several billion just to make a point.

When you consider the scale of the galaxy and all of the inhabited worlds if you could stop an insurrection by destroying one planet wouldn't you do it?  Did the empire have unlimited resources to occupy hundreds of millions of planets?  How many life forms would die in a protracted galactic war?

Have you ever seen the movie?
Signifying nothing.
(January 17, 2016 at 2:47 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: When has any republic on Earth ever had a monarchy?  

Because there's an unwritten universal law which states that fictional events in a galaxy far, far away must adhere to a tried political system on our cosmic piece of dust.
If the jedi were the good guys, then why did Vader have to liberate all those children from their indoctrination camps?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I know I'm in the minority with this one-but this is a slippery slope in my opinion A Godzilla fan 19 1209 September 30, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  So Trump can insult a Gold Star family, brag about rape, brag about molesting kids NuclearEnergy 23 4791 May 7, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  actor/pop star endorsements. paulpablo 4 728 March 25, 2017 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Khizr Khan (Gold Star Family) Told that his Travel Privileges are "under review." SteelCurtain 6 1487 March 7, 2017 at 4:01 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Warren 2020 (First female US President) GrandizerII 23 4957 November 10, 2016 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2101 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  A Simple Solution To The Bathroom Wars Jenny A 49 4848 April 15, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  GOP Fails to Attract Minority Voters(Even more then they usually do) Shining_Finger 8 1863 November 22, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Qatar tells female tourists what not to... progamz 52 10154 June 10, 2014 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Manning states, "I am female" Foxaèr 13 4895 September 3, 2013 at 12:57 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet