Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List of people who have no interest in joining a religion, ever
I've noticed a major sticking point that commonly occurs in theist/atheist debates. A religious theist often seems to think that if they can convince the atheist that god is real and their religion is "true", then the atheist would automatically convert to the religion.

This is just completely wrong. My refusal to join any religion has nothing to do with whether it is true or not. I find the whole idea ridiculous, and I am simply not interested. So even if you did manage to convince me your religion is the "real one", I wouldn't care. I'd just be a theist with no religion, someone who believes in god but does not worship it.

I have got the feeling a lot of people here share this view, so I thought it would be interesting to collect some names. So if you have the same stance as me, please post here! I thought it could be useful to point people to when they are making the very basic mistake I have outlined. Some people seem literally incapable of understanding this, and I don't know how much clearer I can make it. The more open minded theists however seem to understand this just fine.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: List of people who have no interest in joining a religion, ever
Add me to that list. Fuck religion.
Couldn't give less of a shit. Even if the concept of religion wasn't a laughably see-through pile of cack, no being that demands my worship is worthy of having it.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I'm curious about religion as a phenomenon but would never join one.

Like yourself, I'm open to receiving information which would make me a theist. But I can't ever see myself becoming some god's fanboy.
Add me as well, I like being near the top of a list.
Never been the slightest interested in religion, and at 65 I don't see that changing.
I don't know what to say.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I have never understood what a god gets out of being worshiped. Every day people telling him how great he is... he's a god, he knows that, why waste his time telling him stuff he knows (for an all knowing, all seeing god that's anything at all!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Id like to be added and also underlined bolded and my color in red Big Grin
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 18, 2016 at 9:24 am)robvalue Wrote: I've noticed a major sticking point that commonly occurs in theist/atheist debates. A religious theist often seems to think that if they can convince the atheist that god is real and their religion is "true", then the atheist would automatically convert to the religion.

This is just completely wrong. My refusal to join any religion has nothing to do with whether it is true or not. I find the whole idea ridiculous, and I am simply not interested. So even if you did manage to convince me your religion is the "real one", I wouldn't care. I'd just be a theist with no religion, someone who believes in god but does not worship it.

I have got the feeling a lot of people here share this view, so I thought it would be interesting to collect some names. So if you have the same stance as me, please post here! I thought it could be useful to point people to when they are making the very basic mistake I have outlined. Some people seem literally incapable of understanding this, and I don't know how much clearer I can make it. The more open minded theists however seem to understand this just fine.

Yeah, same here. Even if I could get past the other crap, I can never get over the whole, "worship me, because I'm amazing," thing. It's just such a very...human quality for God, and I am very stubborn by nature. I like to imagine God as Michael Scott from The Office:

[Image: 74f40904b7708ee2a73609bfdaba1e50.jpg]

"Do I need to be liked? Absolutely not. I -like- to be liked. I enjoy being liked. I HAVE to be liked, but it's not like this compulsive need to be liked, like my need to be praised."
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of religious forums viocjit 35 16512 May 11, 2021 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Reading List for EgoDeath Belacqua 9 1222 October 16, 2019 at 8:51 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  [Serious] What does religion have to offer? EgoDeath 53 5565 August 3, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1334 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1163 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Religion: Simple Lies for Simple People Minimalist 3 531 September 16, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 83953 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Deadliest religion ever? SuperSentient 125 17392 March 31, 2017 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Why doesn't religion ever get a product recall? ignoramus 17 2880 February 22, 2017 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Has religion ever brought you happeniness? ComradeMeow 56 10212 January 1, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: camlov2019