Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Like Evie's New Sig
I Like Evie's New Sig
”Evie” Wrote:The thing I hate about humility is it means "a modest or low view of one’s own importance". All too often pushing that humility is a great virtue is a disguise for belittling someone's self-worth to unhealthy levels. My parents raised me to have so much humility that even after over a year I think that I haven't associated with them or anyone else toxic from my past, if someone is hurting me I struggle asking them to stop or even having the "audacity" to complain about it. Humility is not always a good thing. Having a low view of your own importance can be extremely harmful. Pride means "a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one’s own achievements". Pride is not always a bad thing being satisfied with yourself, your achievements, and your life can be very healthy.

So no, humility isn't always good. It's all about balance. People should think highly enough of their own worth that they love themselves and never let others use them as a doormat, and they shouldn't think so highly of themselves that they allow themselves to impede someone else's path to happiness

I remember when I was a child in D.C., there were public trash cans that said “Pride Keeps Our City Clean.”

When the Church tried to teach me that pride is a bad thing, I realized that they were using this one word to mean two entirely different things. Like Evie says, it’s a matter of balance.

I too hate it when people put themselves down and give god credit for things they themselves have done. It’s stupid. Trying to be humble is like trying to see your eyes move in a mirror. As soon as you look it’s gone. “Oh look I’ve done something humble. Wasn’t that humble of me? That was the epitome of meekness. ” then you feel right proud.

People who don’t see their own importance tend to be self-destructive and morally gullible. If I’m not important then what does it matter what I do? Why shouldn’t I do this terrible thing? Who cares? If you think you have nothing to offer then you won’t share your gifts with the rest of the world. And we all have something to give. None of us could have survived hundreds of thousands of years of natural selection if we had nothing.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: I Like Evie's New Sig
Great stuff.

Indeed, to me being humble is about not assuming you are automatically right about everything, or that you deserve such and such thing because you say so. And being proud is about caring about what you do, striving to do good work, and crediting yourself when appropriate.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 24, 2016 at 10:53 am)robvalue Wrote: Great stuff.

Indeed, to me being humble is about not assuming you are automatically right about everything, or that you deserve such and such thing because you say so. And being proud is about caring about what you do, striving to do good work, and crediting yourself when appropriate.

You are balanced.

I want to elaborate (not disagree) on one of the points you made.

I don’t even worry about whether I deserve something. If constantly asking myself why I’m disabled is nonproductive, why should I question the good things in my life?

What is the end result of having this or that? Do I want to take on the responsibilities of having it? How will having it help me and those around me? Does having it cost more than it’s worth?

These are the questions I ask. Somebody, somewhere will say. “No, you don’t deserve that. You hurt my feelings back in 1984.” “You didn’t wash the dishes, so no cookies for you.” Is that anything more than childish idiocy?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
I think that's actually Losty's quote.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Jesus fucking christ Rob. Do you always have to be right?!?!?!?!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
EP, Mr Killings worth, a dime for your thoughts.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(January 26, 2016 at 7:27 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:

Jesus fucking christ Rob. Do you always have to be right?!?!?!?!

Thank you Blush
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 26, 2016 at 4:10 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I think that's actually Losty's quote.

It is. The entire quote is by bestest kitten.

[Image: 17.png]

Hence the "Losty Wrote" above it.

I'm glad you like the quote Rhonda: It was written by someone fucking amazing.
Meh, ABBA rules, that is all humanity needs to know.
(January 27, 2016 at 10:43 am)Brian37 Wrote: Meh, ABBA rules, that is all humanity needs to know.

No. Cats do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The registering your one-name, Boru-esque sig thread Whateverist 119 6985 May 9, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Sorry, Evie. This must really hurt. Minimalist 15 2531 January 23, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Ask a turtely turtle/Ask Evie Edwardo Piet 5 1720 December 19, 2015 at 2:55 pm
  Ivy (not EVIE) is really leaving for a bit Fruity 72 9838 September 23, 2013 at 3:23 am
Last Post: Dragonetti
  Evie's gonna be a bit Violet 12 3329 August 31, 2013 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Tonus
  a, like, mechanically, like, sort of like, reaction to the whole "god" thing, yeah. Edwardo Piet 7 2959 January 29, 2013 at 6:01 pm
  Paul the Human's awesome sig. Edwardo Piet 10 3197 May 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: binny