Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
His Dark Materials?
His Dark Materials?
Have any of you atheists read this book series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials ?

I have and it is surprisingly god and well written. It is a pity the film franchise didn't really take off back in 2007.

What did you all think of it? I liked it, but I thought the series really slowed down/ got wierd sometime in the second book.

Thoughts?
RE: His Dark Materials?
My brother has read it, but unlike yourself he's highly intelligent and not a trolling fuckwit.
(February 2, 2016 at 3:33 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: Have any of you atheists read this book series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials ?

I have and it is surprisingly god and well written. It is a pity the film franchise didn't really take off back in 2007.

What did you all think of it? I liked it, but I thought the series really slowed down/ got wierd sometime in the second book.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I'm glad the christer crusade against that film was successful. It really wasn't a very good adaptation and the sequels would have been worse.

The books, on the other hand, were great. "Northern Lights (aka "The Golden Compass") was the best, but they were all quite good.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(February 2, 2016 at 4:27 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 3:33 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: Have any of you atheists read this book series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials ?

Thoughts?

Honestly, I'm glad the christer crusade against that film was successful. It really wasn't a very good adaptation and the sequels would have been worse.

The books, on the other hand, were great. "Northern Lights (aka "The Golden Compass") was the best, but they were all quite good.

Oh, I read the golden compass trilogy.

I make a valiant attempt to read all the books my kids do.
(February 2, 2016 at 4:27 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:

Thoughts?

It was extremley successsful IMO. Not only did the film bomb (losing more money than it made) but I believe it caused Newline Cinema to fold.

Perhaps God didn't like it Smile .

Fortunately though, the BBC is adapting it as a miniseries. I think a film like that is more conducive to miniseries anyway.
My brother is epic and you suck. Kudos that one, troll.
It was alright. I tend not to like books or movies where the fate of the world rests on something really stupid happening like

and there were definitely weird-ass things going on in them like

but I did like the idea of having a familiar or animal companion. It would be like Bring You Pet to Work day every day Big Grin
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(February 2, 2016 at 4:47 pm)Evie Wrote: My brother is epic and you suck. Kudos that one, troll.

Epic huh? please... whats he like Dodgy .

I am an agnostic.. and I liked His Dark Materials. Why can't you give me some credit Undecided
(February 2, 2016 at 5:06 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: It was alright.  I tend not to like books or movies where the fate of the world rests on something really stupid happening like

and there were definitely weird-ass things going on in them like

but I did like the idea of having a familiar or animal companion.  It would be like Bring You Pet to Work day every day Big Grin

And you were picking on me over too many unbelievable things happening in "Fear the Walking Dead." Tut Tut
(February 2, 2016 at 4:45 pm)TrueChristian Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 4:27 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: Honestly, I'm glad the christer crusade against that film was successful. It really wasn't a very good adaptation and the sequels would have been worse.

It was extremley successsful IMO. Not only did the film bomb (losing more money than it made) but I believe it caused Newline Cinema to fold.

Perhaps God didn't like it Smile .

Fortunately though, the BBC is adapting it as a miniseries. I think a film like that is more conducive to miniseries anyway.

The christers didn't like it because it was a very successful proof against C.S. Lewis' claim that you can't create a believable fantasy world without a benevolent god-like figure. Gawd had nothing to do with it.

New Line didn't fold. They were bought up by Warner Bros.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  His Dark Materials Foxaèr 5 588 August 12, 2022 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  His Dark Materials CatholicDefender 8 1522 September 1, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Dark Tower-Film Shell B 28 3150 August 6, 2017 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Considering his vile visit to Warsaw, a poem. Brian37 0 539 July 6, 2017 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Would you recommend his dark materials? snerie 16 5314 June 15, 2017 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: John V
  A dark night WinterHold 1 635 November 20, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Remedy for Memory (sorta dark) Longhorn 16 3725 August 18, 2015 at 4:49 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Join the Dark Side, Obi Wan is no hero. Brian37 20 6727 March 4, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: eyemixer
  The Dark Knight Part 4: The Man of Steel Bad Writer 2 1293 June 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Ricky Gervais reprises his role as David Brent in "Brent's Back" CleanShavenJesus 0 1066 March 2, 2013 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus