Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you recommend his dark materials?
Would you recommend his dark materials?
So I am near finishing lord of the rings and I am looking for my next read and I heard his dark materials is like kinda like Narnia but with an atheist viewpoint. So now I just want to know If its a good book or not?
RE: Would you recommend his dark materials?
I read the first one and was bored to tears.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 8, 2017 at 4:35 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I read the first one and was bored to tears.

WHAT

I found His Dark Material to be fantastic.  I was absolutely enthralled.

That being said, I'm a fan of serial child/YA literature in general (ie Narnia, Chronicles of Prydain, Series of Unfortunate Events), so I was predisposed to it.

Also, if you want to talk boring, LOTR is... well, boring.  Very very good.  But very very boring.  They're not mutually exclusive.  (summary of 90% of Fellowship: the nine walked west, and the river lay in front of them.  They continued, and then the river was behind them, and they kept walking, for there were many miles to go and dozens more rivers to cross.)

(Another disclaimer:  His Dark Materials incorporates some imagery/content from Paradise Lost by John Milton.  I bought the two together (the HDM trilogy and Paradise Lost), and read Paradise Lost first.  I didn't find that boring at all.  So my boring meter might be wayyyy off)
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(June 8, 2017 at 4:58 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: Also, if you want to talk boring, LOTR is... well, boring.

Heresy.
My wife really liked it, but found the last book to be too much of a bummer...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(June 8, 2017 at 4:58 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote:
(June 8, 2017 at 4:35 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I read the first one and was bored to tears.

WHAT

I found His Dark Material to be fantastic.  I was absolutely enthralled.

That being said, I'm a fan of serial child/YA literature in general (ie Narnia, Chronicles of Prydain, Series of Unfortunate Events), so I was predisposed to it.

Also, if you want to talk boring, LOTR is... well, boring.  Very very good.  But very very boring.  They're not mutually exclusive.  (summary of 90% of Fellowship: the nine walked west, and the river lay in front of them.  They continued, and then the river was behind them, and they kept walking, for there were many miles to go and dozens more rivers to cross.)

(Another disclaimer:  His Dark Materials incorporates some imagery/content from Paradise Lost by John Milton.  I bought the two together (the HDM trilogy and Paradise Lost), and read Paradise Lost first.  I didn't find that boring at all.  So my boring meter might be wayyyy off)

I think Pratchett ruined me for other writers.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yes, I have immense nostalgia for it as I read it when I was the same age as the protagonists (give or take) in the books and it made it all the more magical for me.

I loved them and still do, personally.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I strongly recommend Ransom Riggs' 'Miss Peregrine' series. The film was abortive rubbish, but the novels are a surprisingly good first effort for a novelist. Unsettling photographs, no extra charge.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Never heard of these. I do not read much fiction. Just now downloaded the trilogy. Starting "The Golden Compass" now....
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I saw the movie The Golden Compass.

Does that count?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  His Dark Materials Foxaèr 5 578 August 12, 2022 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Recommend some sci-fi authors Foxaèr 26 2155 March 29, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  His Dark Materials CatholicDefender 8 1513 September 1, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Dark Tower-Film Shell B 28 3094 August 6, 2017 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Considering his vile visit to Warsaw, a poem. Brian37 0 527 July 6, 2017 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A dark night WinterHold 1 624 November 20, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Novels: what have you read recently, how did it affect you and do you recommend it? Whateverist 16 3519 July 14, 2016 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  His Dark Materials? TrueChristian 19 10268 February 3, 2016 at 12:54 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Remedy for Memory (sorta dark) Longhorn 16 3693 August 18, 2015 at 4:49 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Join the Dark Side, Obi Wan is no hero. Brian37 20 6637 March 4, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: eyemixer