Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dark Tower-Film
The Dark Tower-Film
I went to the 19:19 showing of The Dark Tower last night with the hubby. I know a lot of people are panning this film. Much like Ghostbusters, I think people wanted to hate it before it ever had a chance because they loved the source material so much. To that, I say, "Get over it." That's the attitude I gave myself going into this. I knew this wasn't going to be the book(s) by any stretch, so I let myself enjoy it, and I did very much. For perspective, Tibs hasn't read the books, and he enjoyed the film with fresh eyes. I wish people would give it a chance.

RE: The Dark Tower-Film
Not reading any spoilers, we have tickets for tonight. We're going into it open minded.
FWIE, I think some people will never be pleased with screen adaptation of such things. Adaptations are never going to be completely faithful, the director and writers have thier own vision, material and characters have to be cut, compressed, and composited.

Even as a big fan of the original material, I loved the film adaptation of LOTR. I didn't care for every decision made that went into it, I sure didn't like them cutting Tom Bombadil, the Barrow Downs, and the Scouring of the Shire, but I get why it needed to be done. That disappointment didn't ruin it for me. I really didn't like the interpretation of Faramir - he was never tempted by the One Ring in the book, but w/e.

Fortunately, I have not read the original three Dark Tower trilogy in many years, and I haven't read any of the later material, so I'm practically going in a blank slate.
Boss Lady and I saw it at the 19:19 showing yesterday as well. I've never read the books so I had no baggage going in. It was a fun movie, Matthew was a pure dick, something he can do well.
(August 4, 2017 at 11:34 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: FWIE, I think some people will never be pleased with screen adaptation of such things.  Adaptations are never going to be completely faithful, the director and writers have thier own vision, material and characters have to be cut, compressed, and composited.

Yep. I will always nitpick at them just for the fun of noting the differences, but I don't let it take away from my enjoyment.

Quote:Even as a big fan of the original material, I loved the film adaptation of LOTR.  I didn't care for every decision made that went into it, I sure didn't like them cutting Tom Bombadil, the Barrow Downs, and the Scouring of the Shire, but I get why it needed to be done.  That disappointment didn't ruin it for me.  I really didn't like the interpretation of Faramir - he was never tempted by the One Ring  in the book, but w/e.

As adaptations go, it was one of the best, even with those flaws. It's funny, I just mentioned the cutting of Tom to Tibs a few weeks ago. They seriously could have fit him in and cut one "elves stare at each other and lower beings meaninfully" moment.

Quote:Fortunatepy, I have not read the original three Dark Tower trilogy in many years, and I haven't read any of the later material, so I'm practically going in a blank slate.

I re-read the first one last week. I regretted it immediately after.

(August 4, 2017 at 11:39 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Boss Lady and I saw it at the 19:19 showing yesterday as well. I've never read the books so I had no baggage going in. It was a fun movie, Matthew was a pure dick, something he can do well.

I really doubt this reply is spoilers, but I'll do it anyway. I'd hate to ruin a thing.

My question would be "is this a new beginning for the Dark Tower-verse? "
(August 4, 2017 at 11:54 am)Shell B Wrote:
(August 4, 2017 at 11:34 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Even as a big fan of the original material, I loved the film adaptation of LOTR.  I didn't care for every decision made that went into it, I sure didn't like them cutting Tom Bombadil, the Barrow Downs, and the Scouring of the Shire, but I get why it needed to be done.  That disappointment didn't ruin it for me.  I really didn't like the interpretation of Faramir - he was never tempted by the One Ring  in the book, but w/e.

As adaptations go, it was one of the best, even with those flaws. It's funny, I just mentioned the cutting of Tom to Tibs a few weeks ago. They seriously could have fit him in and cut one "elves stare at each other and lower beings meaninfully" moment.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that the path from Hobbiton to Bree was so compressed. One minute they're leaving the Shire and crossing the Brandywine, and the next they're knocking on the Bree gate. (Great Forest? Barrow Downs? Wuzzat?). They missed some opportunities for some quality filmography by making that decision. But w/e, I still enjoyed the films.
I'm with you 100%. The movie made it look like Bree was across the river from Hobbiton. If that were the case, they should have known the Ring Wraiths would catch up in like five minutes.

I enjoyed them too. Among the best adaptations in movie history. I didn't like the Hobbit "trilogy" as much.
(August 4, 2017 at 12:28 pm)Shell B Wrote: I'm with you 100%. The movie made it look like Bree was across the river from Hobbiton. If that were the case, they should have known the Ring Wraiths would catch up in like five minutes.

I enjoyed them too. Among the best adaptations in movie history. I didn't like the Hobbit "trilogy" as much.

I didn't either. I didn't think they were bad, per se, but they just didn't have the feel of the original book.
I wish so badly I could get out to see this, but I don't think it's possible with two kids and no babysitter. The Dark Tower was the greatest love affair of my life. It crashed and burned in the end (IMO) and part of me may never forgive King for rushing to complete it, but I'll be head over heels in love with Roland and his ka tet forever.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Number 5's Surreal Creepy Film Collection zwanzig 111 6764 May 15, 2023 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  His Dark Materials Foxaèr 5 588 August 12, 2022 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Stuart: A Life Backwards (Film) Shell B 0 249 April 12, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Anyone remember this cartoon/nature film spoof? Brian37 0 379 October 11, 2017 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  His Dark Materials CatholicDefender 8 1522 September 1, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Would you recommend his dark materials? snerie 16 5314 June 15, 2017 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: John V
  A dark night WinterHold 1 633 November 20, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Best original music from a film? Aegon 32 3883 July 5, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Film Club Excited Penguin 84 9473 May 5, 2016 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Film Club #2 - Coherence [Discussion] Heat 44 4590 March 29, 2016 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Sterben