Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:19 am

Poll: How old were you when you became an atheist?
This poll is closed.
I never was anything else.
39.47%
15 39.47%
Younger than 7: Pre-operational stage
0%
0 0%
7 - 11: Concrete Operational stage
13.16%
5 13.16%
12 - 19: Formal Operational stage
23.68%
9 23.68%
In my 20's
15.79%
6 15.79%
In my 30's
5.26%
2 5.26%
In my 40's
2.63%
1 2.63%
50 or older
0%
0 0%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At what age did you become an atheist?
At what age did you become an atheist?
So I was thinking about how it would have been different to become an atheist at one age versus another. That led me to wondering how prevalent deconversion may be at various stages in ones life. So I thought I'd put together a poll.

In trying to decide on what would make good break points, I remembered reading about Piaget's theory of cognitive development. It isn't anything I'm invested in or think a lot about but why not?

Piaget has some earlier stages of development that happen younger than 4 years of age but who would remember? So I'm lumping the earlier stages together everything after birth together with the Pre-operational stage to about age 7.

The Concrete Operational stage extends from 7 to 11.

Formal Operational stage takes us from 11 to 20.

After that I thought I'd just go by decades up to 50-and-later.

So if you're willing to add yourself to my poll I'd be grateful. Those who ever became atheist (fr0d0 I'm looking at you), even if they re-converted to theism, are encouraged to add the time at which they had become atheist. I usually make all polls completely public but I won't this one just in case anyone would rather keep it private. But please do elaborate if you're willing.
RE: At what age did you become an atheist?
I was born an atheist.
(April 12, 2014 at 11:42 am)Heywood Wrote: I was born an atheist.

So that would place you in the first option, you never had to de-convert from any theistic tradition.
As above, I, along with everyone else, was born an atheist.

Luckily I was never indoctrinated, so I've never been religious.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I find this one of the most fascinating things about my own experience as an atheist and the experience of others who have deconverted. I can listen to deconversion stories all day long. From what I gather, the experience of getting rid of someone else inside your head is a much more challenging process than having never had a guest there. My impression from having listened to so many of these tales is, it's an ongoing battle for a very long time. Makes me glad I never had my thinking processes cluttered up this way.

I have a good friend who was raised in a fundamentalist home and who now practices something she refers to as 'Torah.' I don't know how this is different from classic Judaism and I don't really care. She has a keen mind, is very inquisitive and has the makings of a good critical thinker. Yet there are places she simply doesn't permit her fine brain to go -- evolution being chief among them. I simply can't fathom how someone who enjoys thinking as much as she does will allow such barriers to be placed in front of her thoughts. But she does, and quite vehemently, too. (I think I will win out in the end, with patience and relentless insidiousness. Heheh.)
(April 12, 2014 at 11:42 am)Heywood Wrote: I was born an atheist.

HA.... I got u beat.. I was an atheist before my mom and dad conceived. . God made me an atheist.. it was in his grand plan..
I don't remember when I became an atheist. Some time in my childhood before my teens.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Atheist 4 Lyfe Motherfuckers!

Seriously, though, as soon as I was capable of rational thought, which was when I was 3, when people talked to me about God, I thought they were just stupid or crazy.
I never believed but I think I was 8 when I first actually thought about it. I was 16-17 when I actually found out not believing bothered other people so much.
Born atheist, remained atheist.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3251 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3299 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3270 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6158 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Age of Deconversion John 6IX Breezy 138 10799 November 28, 2019 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5031 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46245 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92779 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  How did u become an atheist? Lebneni Murtad 52 10075 April 6, 2017 at 1:21 am
Last Post: surreptitious57